Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2016 11:08:00 PM EDT
Anyone have a review of the Northwest Lineman College? I am looking to attend the school for a career change and was wondering if it is worth it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I know of two dudes who have gone through it. They have both made themselves successful at being linemen.  One of them travels (makes great money), the other works in Montana now but they both went to NW Lineman's College.  

Just so we're clear, you're talking about the one just south on Meridian Road, right?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:11:46 PM EDT
[#2]
hope you enjoy physical labor

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:23:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't do the "collage" to get in the trade. They may help with networking and job placement, but at our dock there is only one guy that went to one and we stole him from a co-op after he was already a journeyman. I would advise applying at various utilities as an apprentice and be willing to move or go to the IBEW and sign up for an apprenticeship there. The schools mainly cull the folks that are not cut out for this line of work so the companies don't have to pay to train someone that probably aren't going to make it. We would probably start someone out that has completed a school as a second step ape simply because they should already know the basic practice and theory.

ETA:  Having a class A CDL will go a long way. The requirements for starting at our sister company are pretty simple, Helper position. This is the "guy off the street" position, the next step in progression is starting the apprenticeship. Here is the line of progression after "helper" for that company.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:25:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, the one in Meridian is the one that I would attend. I do not mind physical work or traveling etc.

Do you know how long it took for them to get a job?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have looked at the union options but they only open their training enrollment once a year.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#6]
My links need work. Click on the Energy Tech helper and Energy Tech 1-5 positions for the job descriptions.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:30:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the links. The requirements are pretty relaxed.
I do have my cdl with all endorsements except hazmat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top