Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2005 9:18:05 PM EDT
On strike.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:19:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Replacements are already hired.  WTF, what jobs are they going to have if the airline goes under?  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]
ARDOC: The union is not giving an inch because they feel that the company going under anyways, so why bother.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#3]
So they are going to shoot themselves to spite the company.  Thats whats wrong with unions.  With the price of fuel and competition, NW lost billions of dollars.  It has 2 or so billion in cash reserves that will be expended in a very short time.

They go under and its not just the mechanics.  You are talking attendents, pilots, ground crew and ticket personel.  

The real motivation is greed.  They know that 90% of the flights flown out of DTW are NW.  So they figure the government will not allow them to go under.   The company in my opinion wants chapter 11 so they can restruture and dump their pension plans.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#4]
It's big news here in Minnesota

The Union is greedy and the NWA Mgmnt is not much better. Both are corrupt

But ask NWA why they are outsourcing the repairs to China
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Bad bidness.  Bummer guys.  My direct family fly for the Majors.  It has been a rough row to hoe these past 5-6years.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Last year, when Airline X was having major financial problems, their Flight Attendants proved again that they are not the brightest bulb in the fixture.  

They told my relative that if the airline cut their pay, they would strike.  At that time, it would have been fatal to the airline.  My relative said as much.  The FA's response was, "if thats what it takes."

Those FA's were willing to be out of a job, put the entire airline out of bisness and cost EVERYBODY their jobs to keep from having a pay cut.  I mean, they were willing to be jobless than having a pay cut!  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Ask the Alaska Airlines baggage handlers how well playing a similar game of brinksmanship worked for them.

You can probably find alot of them in the unemployment office as they were replaced with contract workers from Menzies Aviation.

This after the baggage handlers rejected the airline's final contract offer, with 85% of union voters saying no, according to the union.

Eighty-two percent of voters also authorized a strike, union officials said.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:48:24 PM EDT
[#8]
As a former mechanic at Northworst airlines I had my fill with the dunder-heads both from the Corp. headquarters and from the Union. I hope to see NWA go tits-up.
Both or should I say that ALL Parties are to blame. Not just the Union and Not just the Suits. But both. More than enough blame to go around.

I hope the Union bashers CAN at least admit that much, probably won't but its true.

Yes Virgina BOTH parties are to blame for the Mess that Northworst has gotten it's self into.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:54:29 PM EDT
[#9]
So I'm going to fly on NWA over turkey day....am I gonna crash?  Hopefully they hired Ok replacements and not guys from the auto shop
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:20:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So I'm going to fly on NWA over turkey day....am I gonna crash?  Hopefully they hired Ok replacements and not guys from the auto shop

Hell,  they most likely hired anyone with an A&P license, regardless if they hadn't turned a wrench in 10 years, never touched an airliner before, or are so incompetent they mainly did oil changes for a living.

My first time on a commercial airliner, it had serious engine problems.   After trying a couple of fixes, Maint Control tells me I have to run up both engines in accordance with the aircraft maintenance manual procedure we were following.    I tell them sorry, it's 2am, I'm the only living soul on the ramp, the aircraft is still hooked to a jetway, I don't have access to ground support equipment, there are two 757s parked directly behind it, and I have absolutely no training on this aircraft.

You wouldn't believe how they pencil-whipped that situation.   They "solved" the problem by getting very creative with the paperwork.   It absolutely amazed me, and I ain't gonna repeat it here cause I have better things to do than get sucked into an investigation.   Sure as hell wouldn't have flown in that jet until the problems had been resolved.

Been asked to do some shady things after that, but since I was doing on-call maint, and not directly employed by the airlines, I told them "no", "hell no", "you're kidding right?", "sorry charlie", etc.   A few  get pretty pissed when they have to ferry a jet empty to their MX center cause I won't play thier games.     I'm probably last on their on-call list by now.

But to be fair, there are some airlines that accept my judgement calls without question, even if that means a significant financial hit.     The ones in severe financial straits are the ones I'd avoid flying.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:44:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Don't worry, there are thousands of qualified A&Ps out there looking for work.
Northwest just hired a bunch of them to take the place of the ones who just
went on strike.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top