Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2004 9:25:27 AM EDT
will we be brought to the brink of war w/  them before the S eventually H's TF??  just in a curious search after reading a book about the Panmunjom Axe Murders in '76, i started looking into incidents that have occured.

i can remember personally being over there when a sub ran aground near Inchon in '96.  i was there for this one and participated: "North Korean submarine runs aground in South, 11 crew found shot dead in apparent mass suicide and 13 killed by South Korean forces during massive search operation. "  

i also remember an instance from my second tour in the ROK that involved a gunboat firing on a fishing boat....but the only thing i can dig up says it was July 24th 2001, and i was there in 2000.....if you guys can dig anything up....please do.  

my question is....how many run-ins are we going to have before things get totally out of hand?  these listed are just a few of the instances i KNOW of.  i was just bored and wondered what some of you guys thought about North Korea and the past, present, and future relations we have had and will have w/ them.  humor me
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#1]
North Korea is the Albania of the new millenium. The rules of civil society simply do not apply there.

In the past 20 years they tried to assassinate the leader of South Korea, blew up a South Korean jetliner in their anger over not getting any Olympic events to host during the Seoul Olympics, have dug numerous tunnels under the DMZ, etc.

PRK is a criminal country that does not abide by ANY of the laws of nations.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
North Korea is the Albania of the new millenium. The rules of civil society simply do not apply there.

In the past 20 years they tried to assassinate the leader of South Korea, blew up a South Korean jetliner in their anger over not getting any Olympic events to host during the Seoul Olympics, have dug numerous tunnels under the DMZ, etc.

PRK is a criminal country that does not abide by ANY of the laws of nations.

yup...they find tunnels all the time....matter of fact during my first tour there...they found a fairly large one that led right up under Seoul.   freakin SCARY.  then there was the defector that flew is fighter jet and landed in Seoul...although..i dont recall if that ever made international news or not.  crazy place.  any of the rest of you guys ever been stationed over there...got any crazy stories involving incidents such as these??  i'd love to hear them..
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:01:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I was at Camp Casey with the 2nd Infantry Division '91 to '92. I remember at least one incident where we got called out on alert because of North Korean infiltrators being caught in one of the small "wild west" towns in the DMZ. Apparently these interlopers routinely move around in the border towns gathering intel.

Whole division busted out the gate and took a right turn on MSR1. We set up at our bivuouac locations for a day or so, than stood down and went back to Casey.

IIRC, the infiltrators were shot by ROK soldiers trying to escape not long after we were called out on alert. As I recall, it was a pretty routine event so it didn't make the news.

ROK soldiers don't usually take prisoners.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#4]
ISTR that the Japanese Navy hosed a North Korean 'mothership' (that dealt with infiltrating
spys, etc.) not too long ago, and were considering raising it... Not sure what ever came of that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:21:05 AM EDT
[#5]
It goes back much farther.  I think those little shits have been trying to cause trouble since the war ended.  There was the Pueblo Incident and a number of events since then.  I think the only thing that's keeping the peace right now is that their sawed off elevator shoes wearing little Napoleon is not quite stupid enough to light off a nuke. I watched the History Channel last night and the crap that's going on in the north makes 1984 look like Disneyland.  Sooner or later, he's going to force our hand. It'll only be when he thinks he can win.  That won't happen.  Should he start any real shit, we'll have to barricade his little paradise for at least 50 years due to excessive radiation.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#6]
The reason we most likely wont every go after NK is China. Simply put - China doesnt want 300,000 round eyes that close to its boarder. They have bolstered their military so that there will NEVER be foriegn soilders on thier soil. I belive that if NK begins to pose a real thread (as in a real full out attack) China will be forced to act. To keep us out of it, they will have to go in and stablize that poor god forsaken country.

The history channel even recently had a show on NK. Man. Its just sad. Those poor saps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top