Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/18/2005 11:30:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2005 11:31:11 PM EDT by 22bad]
North Carolina law encourages gun access for domestic violence victims
August 19, 2005
www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=3736451
RALEIGH, N.C. Opponents say it's like throwing gasoline on a fire, but North Carolina lawmakers have overwhelmingly approved a measure to give battered spouses information on how to get guns.

The bill requires courts to provide information on a concealed weapon permit when a battered spouse applies for a restraining order.

Victims' advocates say the measure could end up causing more problems by bringing guns into already volatile relationships. But the president of the gun-rights group that pushed for the measure says it's about helping victims help themselves.

The measure becomes law October First unless Governor Mike Easley vetoes it, and his office hasn't said what he'll do.

The bill would also add protective orders to the evidence a sheriff can consider when determining whether to issue an emergency permit for a concealed weapon. The normal wait is 90 days.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:24:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/19/2005 12:26:29 AM EDT by Special-K]
I think this is a good thing. But I don't think it will matter all that much.

In NY when we have a domestic we have to do the specific state report. Real PITA. On the bottom of the form is the question "are there any guns in the household?" The answer is almost always "Oh god, no, I would never have one of those things in my house!". They often actually seem shocked or offended I would even suggest such a thing. The way I ask it usually lets them know I have NO problems with guns, and I really don't think I'm getting a BS "boating accident" response - altought I dearly hope to get that response someday!

I really don't think most victims will be interested in helping them selves - qenerally the battered wife type isn't that type anyhow - or they wouldnt likely be victims of domestic violence.

That havind been said, I DO think it's a good thing for the few who may actually avail themselves of this and be able to better protect themselves as a result.

-K
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:27:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:28:05 AM EDT
This IS a common sense gun law
Top Top