Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2008 7:58:31 AM EST
For those of you with kids young enough, don't forget to let them check this out. My daughter loves it. Really helps to get the kids excited

Merry Christmas everyone!

Norad Tracks Santa
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:00:57 AM EST
taggage
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:08:30 AM EST
I guess you haven't heard huh?

Happened less than an hour ago over Thailand.

Merry Christmas all, I wish I still had youngans in the house to share it with.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:32:14 AM EST
Originally Posted By Dilbert_556:
I guess you haven't heard huh?

http://i40.tinypic.com/nzn0ue.jpg

Happened less than an hour ago over Thailand.

Merry Christmas all, I wish I still had youngans in the house to share it with.

That's just wrong.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:42:22 AM EST
bah humbug
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:43:05 AM EST
I just downloaded it. I go get it every year.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:45:20 AM EST
He was just at the ISS. He's good
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:48:00 AM EST
The hell is he doing in the United Arab Emirates?

Is Santa trying to wind up on an Al Queda video with an RPG pointed at his head?
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:48:27 AM EST
uh oh, hes over the mid east, lets hope the chair force doesnt try to shoot him down
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:49:56 AM EST
Did anyone else notice that Santa completely skipped over Vietnam and North Korea?
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:50:25 AM EST
Originally Posted By motown_steve:
Did anyone else notice that Santa completely skipped over Vietnam and North Korea?

He must be out of countermeasures
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 10:28:31 AM EST
nice
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 11:04:32 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 11:06:34 AM EST
So, could the ABM system shoot him down?
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 11:44:00 AM EST
He's at the Pyramids

Wonder what kind of frequent flyer miles he has
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 12:22:35 PM EST
Don't tell the Dept. of Homeland Security, or they'll scramble the F-16s and shoot him down, for his own safety.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 12:37:44 PM EST
Cypher15 mentioned the Air Force shooting him down...funny story about that, my unit almost did just that in 06 .

Lets put it this way, its not cool when NORAD pumps in the santa feed into a live weapon system, especially when it Santa is flying out of a not so friendly country and headed right for ya.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 12:42:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By sanitywarped:
Cypher15 mentioned the Air Force shooting him down...funny story about that, my unit almost did just that in 06 .

Lets put it this way, its not cool when NORAD pumps in the santa feed into a live weapon system, especially when it Santa is flying out of a not so friendly country and headed right for ya.

I would love to hear more if you can tell!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 12:44:00 PM EST
So, what's the best round to take down Santa Clause?
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 12:45:09 PM EST
We used to have a phone number at NORAD for people to call. I ended up on watch answering Santa Tracker phone calls one Christmas. I loved it. Hell, some of the folks didn't even speak Engrish!
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 12:47:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By Pangea:
So, what's the best round to take down Santa Clause?

I wonder if you can get enough elevation.

Link Posted: 12/24/2008 12:59:05 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/24/2008 1:05:23 PM EST by sanitywarped]
Here is the back story (sorry not going to mention names of countries and all that).

The type of unit I'm currently at is an Air Control Squadron. Our primary purpose is a rapid deployment unit that can provide radar/ command and control coverage of an area. We are self sufficient unit that does not need a main base to support us(yes we provide our own security and have our own cooks ). Now because of this, we bring our own radars and TAOMS (big green boxes that are pretty much like an AWACS).

I was doing some preventative maintenance on our TAOMs that night when me and my buddy hear one of the operators say "What the F***?!" "Uhh...sir we've got an unknown track heading out of ********". At this point My interest is piqued to say the least. you also have to understand that at this point in time we had been deployed for 5 months with absolutely nothing interesting happening.

After confirmation with the officer inside the box, everyone went into a flurry of activity. We get ahold of the Army liaison (they were manning the Patriots, which we were providing the live feed to), confirmed that they were also seeing the unknown track headed for us.

We are, no shit, 5 min from starting a war when the commander opens the door to the van laughing at us. He orders us to stand down and with tears in his eyes from the laughter, tells us its Santa and the track is being pumped into us from Norad. As everyone is staring at the commander he tells us to bring up the santa tracker site(its amazing what you can do when you bring computer guys, sat com guys, and radio guys).

We open up the site and, no shit, santa was at the exact same place where our unknown track was at. I will say though, its pretty damn funny seeing Airmen going into MOPP2 faster than the Army.

To give you guys an idea of how large this van is, here is a picture

Also, there were about 6 people inside at the time, so it was a bit cramped
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 1:00:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/24/2008 1:15:09 PM EST by limaxray]
Originally Posted By Defcon:
Don't forget, you can have your kids call NORAD and ask questions. We did it last year and it was hillarious.

The woman that answered talked to my son for about 5 minutes and answered a ton of questions about santa.

I was a phone volunteer at NORAD several years ago. Far and away the funnest thing I've done in 19 years in the military. The kids were awesome to talk to and the parents were evenly split between enjoying it to no end and utter disbelief that they were actually talking to a USAF major at Cheyenne Mountain.

I always ended with "And you better go to bed RIGHT NOW before Santa gets there!" My way of helping out on Christmas.

ETA:

Call: 1 (877) HI NORAD (1 877 446-6723)
From Colorado Springs or overseas: 1 (719) 556-5211 (Cost may be incurred)
Hearing Impaired should contact their service provider.
Email: noradtrackssanta@gmail.com
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 1:02:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By limaxray:
Don't forget, you can have your kids call NORAD and ask questions. We did it last year and it was hillarious.

The woman that answered talked to my son for about 5 minutes and answered a ton of questions about santa.

I was a phone volunteer at NORAD several years ago. Far and away the funnest thing I've done in 19 years in the military. The kids were awesome to talk to and the parents were evenly split between enjoying it to no end and utter disbelief that they were actually talking to a USAF major at Cheyenne Mountain.

I always ended with "And you better go to bed RIGHT NOW before Santa gets there!" My way of helping out on Christmas.

That's really cool
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 1:13:19 PM EST
They should be applying the Santa Tracker technology to finding Bin Laden.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 1:31:54 PM EST
It is not Santa, this is how Red Dawn actually happens. Just wait for the paratroopers jumping from the sliegh.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 1:37:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By Stumps:
It is not Santa, this is how Red Dawn actually happens. Just wait for the paratroopers jumping from the sliegh.

Just like Commies to pull a Commie trick like that.

Have you ever seen a commie drink a glass of eggnog???
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 1:57:50 PM EST
Santa is a communist, they should shoot his ass down.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 2:35:15 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 2:37:29 PM EST
It appears that Santa skipped over Iran and Syria as well. I guess being a state sponsor of terror puts your whole country on the Naughty List.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 3:30:22 PM EST
tag!
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 3:46:38 PM EST
Originally Posted By motown_steve:
It appears that Santa skipped over Iran and Syria as well. I guess being a state sponsor of terror puts your whole country on the Naughty List.

Link Posted: 12/25/2008 6:53:14 AM EST
Originally Posted By limaxray:

What was your most memorable question? Do you have any that stand out in your mind?

Thank you for doing it. We have tracked Santa every year my kids have been alive. It really is a tradition that we hold special.

The smaller kids were the best. "Where's Santa?" was usually asked.

The first couple of questions I forgot to ask where they were calling from. When I gave them Santa's location, they burst into tears because "Santa missed us!"

I felt horrible. Had to remind them that somehow, Santa's able to make a second run and get them after they go to bed, but they better go to bed RIGHT NOW.

Had something that defied the laws of probability. We got something like 1000 phone calls that night––and one of them, that I answered, was my kids! That was pretty cool.

The favorite was a parent who asked me about 10 times if I was really Maj Limaxray, USAF, at Cheyenne Mountain. Not that she didn't believe me, just that she was astounded and thought it was the coolest thing that we were doing this.

Link Posted: 12/25/2008 7:39:21 AM EST
ouch
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 8:45:53 AM EST
We used the NORAD "Santa Tracker" for the first time last night, and my 8 yr. old daughter was enthralled. They hung on until about midnight, then crashed. We woke the kids up as soon as Santa "left" St. Louis (they couldn't hold on), and we were even one of the "camera" sites. Opening presents at 0130 is a bit odd, but it was a big hit at our house.
Top Top