Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2005 5:02:03 PM EDT
Some guy on Savage Nation just called in and said that the Church teaches preparedness and survival and encourages members to store a years worth of supplies away.

Is this true?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:04:21 PM EDT
Yep, though not necessarily for invasion or natural disaster, but because if one loses their job (s) or the economy tanks having a year's worth of food can be alife saver
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:31:37 PM EDT
Yes that is correct. In addition to the food storage we have also been advised to try and have a substantial amount of savings that would allow us to pay our debts for six months to a year. We are also admonished to live within our means avoid debt etc.

That advice has come in handy for my wife and myself recently. Last October I was downsized at my place of employment (after 26 years of service). We have been using our food storage and household supplies to substantially reduce our living expenses. The fact that we were prepared to weather this type of lifestyle change has allowed me to start my own business and remain solvent.

Through this whole mess I did not have to sell any of my toys (firearms or flyrods) to make ends meet. We sold our third car (jeep) and the house so we could start our business without having a huge debt load. We hope by the end of next year or the following year to be able to again buy a home of our own.

Being prepared sure helps you sleep better at night.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:34:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By out4trout:
Yes that is correct. In addition to the food storage we have also been advised to try and have a substantial amount of savings that would allow us to pay our debts for six months to a year. We are also admonished to live within our means avoid debt etc.

That advice has come in handy for my wife and myself recently. Last October I was downsized at my place of employment (after 26 years of service). We have been using our food storage and household supplies to substantially reduce our living expenses. The fact that we were prepared to weather this type of lifestyle change has allowed me to start my own business and remain solvent.

Through this whole mess I did not have to sell any of my toys (firearms or flyrods) to make ends meet. We sold our third car (jeep) and the house so we could start our business without having a huge debt load. We hope by the end of next year or the following year to be able to again buy a home of our own.

Good for you I hope everything works out great for your business.
Now...Step away from the Pepsi
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:14:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Tonster

You're good Tonster, really good. I almost sprayed my Pepsi with lime all over the keyboard.

Regards
out4trout
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:15:56 PM EDT
Yes Sir it's true
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:24:26 PM EDT
A year's supply of lime green Jell-O and carrot sticks???!!! No thanks! Mormons know exactly what I'm talkin' bout!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:30:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Midnight-Sniper:
A year's supply of lime green Jell-O and carrot sticks???!!! No thanks! Mormons know exactly what I'm talkin' bout!

I have no idea whatsoever what you are talking about
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:35:54 PM EDT
Okay, I owe an explanation. At every, EVERY Mormon function I have ever attended, some sick, cruel member of the Church brought lime green Jell-O with carrot sticks sunk in the Jell-O. They should serve this shit at Gitmo!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:36:31 PM EDT
Yep, its true rice, wheat, water, and things that stire that you like to eat. Non-parishables and guns go without saying when you are mormon.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:38:27 PM EDT
Mormons are just like everyone else once they get married and are allowed to get freaky

Yay!

Except for the splinter group of mormons that get freaky with many many wives, haha, now they aren't just like "everyone else"
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:42:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gordon_freeman:
Except for the splinter group of mormons that get freaky with many many wives, haha, now they aren't just like "everyone else"

Those people are not LDS, Polygamy has not been a part of the church since 1896 when it was given up to pave the way for statehood for Utah and because of Divine revelation

Originally Posted By Mattl:
Yep, its true rice, wheat, water, and things that stire that you like to eat. Non-parishables and guns go without saying when you are mormon.

I had members in my Ward surprised that the Church as a whole was Pro gun, they thought otherwise, nevermind that their ancestors in many cases had suffered persecution under Boggs' law.....
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:44:26 PM EDT
If people think Mormons don't like guns, they should read up on the Mountain Meadow Massacre (or whatever it was called).
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:44:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2005 8:53:11 PM EDT by mjrowley]

Okay, I owe an explanation. At every, EVERY Mormon function I have ever attended, some sick, cruel member of the Church brought lime green Jell-O with carrot sticks sunk in the Jell-O. They should serve this shit at Gitmo!

Rent the Movie "Singles Ward" Then "The RM"

Green Jello with shredded carrots is kinds weird tasting. Also when they has the Olympics in SLC they had an official pin of the Jello and Carrots.

Also Pepsi is owned by the church, want proof? Well Pepsi is the only soda "Marriott Food Services" would/will allow on the campus they serve food on. Pepsi was the first to have caffeine Free Cola. At least that what I think...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:46:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TacticalPenguin:

Originally Posted By gordon_freeman:

Those people are not LDS, Polygamy has not been a part of the church since 1896 when it was given up to pave the way for statehood for Utah and because of Divine revelation

Originally Posted By Mattl:

I had members in my Ward surprised that the Church as a whole was Pro gun, they thought otherwise, nevermind that their ancestors in many cases had suffered persecution under Boggs' law.....

I am in Louisiana we still have rights, yours in Canada will be gone sooner rather than later. Also it is no suprise people are ignorrant of history tragicly. By the way I am not A practicing Mormon or anything else anymore, just remember it as a kid.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:50:31 PM EDT

If people think Mormons don't like guns, they should read up on the Mountain Meadow Massacre (or whatever it was called).

I bet per family we are the most well armed church out there. I can only think of three family's that don't have guns. Two of them are Son's of a anti gun Dad(my wifes Dad) that is a convert. I flipped my wife, heck she thought it was cool when I announced that I was going to build our little girl a Pink AR. Lexi was 3-4 months at the time. Wife has a CCW and a Kel-Tec P32
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:55:40 PM EDT
The green jello more of a Utah thing. I hadn't seen it before till I came to Utah for school. A popular dish is green jello with carrot shavings floating inside. It's also a bit of an inside joke when poking at Utah Mormons.

As for the food storage, yes. We are counciled to be self sufficient. And put away supplies, including 1 year food storage, incase of any circumstances that may cause hardship. Nothing will crush a man's spirit faster than not being able to care for his family in hard times. Survival stuff has always been an interest of mine, so having the added insentive of church encouragement is nice. I know several poeple who have used their food storage to keep themselves afloat during periods of unemployment and such. However, the Church isn't about handouts. The idea is to help people get back on their feet then expect them to work hard at staying there and, if they can, help lift others.

The Church's welfare services reflect this. My family was pretty destitute when growing up. My mom was raising all 4 of us while going to school to get her masters and teaching. The church really helped out. Now we often volunteer at the cannery to help package food for other needy families. For the most part, if someone needs church assistance, they are asked to volunteer time at the cannery or volunteer with other humanitarian efforts put on by the Church. Sometimes they are even found permanent jobs working for the church's humanitarian wing.

Imagine if one of the requirements to get on welfare was having to work for the welfare dept helping out other welfare recipients? Imagine if instead of a blind gov check that carried no real expectations, they were given the opportunity and responsibility to work for it by defray the costs of helping others?

Gov mandated welfare does not engender charity in the people the gov takes from and it does not intill any gratitude in the recipient, rather it fosters resentment and debilitating dependence.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:56:32 PM EDT

Great "real world" application of preparedness! I hope your venture continues to be a success!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:09:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By nwmanitou:
The green jello more of a Utah thing. I hadn't seen it before till I came to Utah for school. A popular dish is green jello with carrot shavings floating inside. It's also a bit of an inside joke when poking at Utah Mormons.

As for the food storage, yes. We are counciled to be self sufficient. And put away supplies, including 1 year food storage, incase of any circumstances that may cause hardship. Nothing will crush a man's spirit faster than not being able to care for his family in hard times. Survival stuff has always been an interest of mine, so having the added insentive of church encouragement is nice. I know several poeple who have used their food storage to keep themselves afloat during periods of unemployment and such. However, the Church isn't about handouts. The idea is to help people get back on their feet then expect them to work hard at staying there and, if they can, help lift others.

The Church's welfare services reflect this. My family was pretty destitute when growing up. My mom was raising all 4 of us while going to school to get her masters and teaching. The church really helped out. Now we often volunteer at the cannery to help package food for other needy families. For the most part, if someone needs church assistance, they are asked to volunteer time at the cannery or volunteer with other humanitarian efforts put on by the Church. Sometimes they are even found permanent jobs working for the church's humanitarian wing.

Imagine if one of the requirements to get on welfare was having to work for the welfare dept helping out other welfare recipients? Imagine if instead of a blind gov check that carried no real expectations, they were given the opportunity and responsibility to work for it by defray the costs of helping others?

Gov mandated welfare does not engender charity in the people the gov takes from and it does not intill any gratitude in the recipient, rather it fosters resentment and debilitating dependence.

If I remember Correctly Pres. Bush SR. Meet with the leader of our church(Pres.Benson) about this very subject.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:15:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By nwmanitou:

that is probly the one major thing I agree with the mormons with could care less about he relgion but they got there idea of welfare spot on the way to do it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:02:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 4:04:48 AM EDT by thompsondd]
Thank you for the information. I think it is cool that a religion cares about the longevity of its members.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:12:05 AM EDT
Any places that specialize in selling put-up food in those (year's worth) quantities?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:45:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tonster

You're good Tonster, really good. I almost sprayed my Pepsi with lime all over the keyboard.

Regards
out4trout

Quit wasting Pepsi ......................... and releasing the trout. EAT 'EM, MAN.

BTW, Best to you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:53:40 AM EDT

Don't Mormons tithe 10% of their income to the church?

If this is true, from a purely philosophical point of view, wouldn't saving that for hard times accomplish the same thing as a food supply?

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:57:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By draver:

If this is true, from a purely philosophical point of view, wouldn't saving that for hard times accomplish the same thing as a food supply?

How many beans can you get for a dollar, 4 weeks into a SHTF disaster? Also, I believe that some of that tithe money is spent on communal food reserves.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:08:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 5:08:37 AM EDT by EricTheHun]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:11:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FLAL1A:

How many beans can you get for a dollar, 4 weeks into a SHTF disaster? Also, I believe that some of that tithe money is spent on communal food reserves.

Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (members call themselves "LDS" or "Saints", "Mormon" is generally used by non-members or to non-members) do indeed tithe 10% of their gross income to the Church. These funds are used for building construction and maintenance and some administrative costs. The Church has no paid clergy, all bishops, stake presidents, etc. are non-paid lay clergy.

Members are also encouraged to fast one Sunday every month and to pay the cost of this meal as a "fast offering." Members are also encouraged to pay more as a fast offering as they can. Fast offerings fund the welfare program of the Church as well as disaster relief efforts. Church Welfare recipients are encouraged to perform service projects such as maintenance of Church grounds, or helping less-able members to perform daily tasks. The Church welfare system is intended as a short-term assistance, not a long term solution. Education is emphasized to allow members to become self-sufficient.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:16:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By EricTheHun:

Those people are not LDS, Polygamy has not been a part of the church since 1896 when it was given up to pave the way for statehood for Utah and because of Divine revelation...

'How convenient !' ~ The Church Lady (Dana Garvey), Saturday Night Live.

Eric The(Timely)Hun

Eric, why do you insist on Mormon bashing every time a thread like this comes up? Anyone who has been around this board for a while knows your opinion of Mormons. A question was asked and answered. If you want to Mormon bash, why don't you take it to the religion forum so that people who want to debate you can do so?

Mike the (respectfully tired of being bashed) Mormon
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:25:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mdb212:

Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (members call themselves "LDS" or "Saints", "Mormon" is generally used by non-members or to non-members) do indeed tithe 10% of their gross income to the Church. These funds are used for building construction and maintenance and some administrative costs. The Church has no paid clergy, all bishops, stake presidents, etc. are non-paid lay clergy.

Members are also encouraged to fast one Sunday every month and to pay the cost of this meal as a "fast offering." Members are also encouraged to pay more as a fast offering as they can. Fast offerings fund the welfare program of the Church as well as disaster relief efforts. Church Welfare recipients are encouraged to perform service projects such as maintenance of Church grounds, or helping less-able members to perform daily tasks. The Church welfare system is intended as a short-term assistance, not a long term solution. Education is emphasized to allow members to become self-sufficient.

Mike

And the funds are used to buy shopping malls in Salt Lake City, cattle ranches, the Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii, a radio station chain, etc, etc....

It's amazing they're tax exempt.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:35:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:42:06 AM EDT
Is there a list of supplies, put out by the church, that are generally considered what is needed for a years worth of food?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:57:46 AM EDT
Can I ask about another rumour I heard ?. Yes ?.

OKay, Is it true that the Mormon church rotates large numbers whole families through a fallout shelter type operation in case of a doomsday scenario ?.

I heard this from a guy that also told me about the 1 year food supply thing. I'm not trolling or trying to start anything.( It seems like a good idea to me. ) I just wonder if there is any truth to it.

Oh, and I'll have to try the carrot and jello thing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:01:17 AM EDT

That's a Utah and Idaho thing, not so much a Mormon thing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:08:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 6:10:27 AM EDT by nwmanitou]
I don't know of anything official lists, but there are plenty of resources out there. Each ward generally has a Emergency Prep coordinator who is supposed to help inform members in his/her area about supplies and emergency planning. I'd love that responsibility. It'd be a great excuse to really get my supplies and information in order.

Emergency Essentials This is a local store I've been shopping from lately. I believe their website is pretty good too.

As far as the fallout shelter thingy, I've never heard of that. However, when there are disasters, the church buildings are designed to be used as shelters if need be. Some are complete with a kitchen and showers.

Oh yeah, before you bash stuff like the polynesian cultural center, and other things the church invests in, catch up on your history. The Polynesian Cultural Center, more than anything else, is responsible for keeping the Pacific Island Cultures alive. Missionary work was intense in the pacific islands. Many of the polynesian converts came to Laie Hawaii to go to college, incidently, BYU Hawaii a Church owned school. It was expensive to make such a trip and the students needed jobs, so they made the PCC where they would work in the summers for their tuition by learning about their own cultures and sharing them with visitors. You want to talk about a program that empowers people and gives them a sense of pride in their heritage as well as an education? Well, here it is. My inlaws are Hawaiian and have benefited directly from the PCC.

You should check out one of the Churches lastest endeavours. The Perpetual Education Fund. It's a revolving scholarship fund put up by donations from church members. It's use is to give out scholarships to people in developing countries, particularily Latin America, so they can go to school in their countries of origin. Once they get their degree and a good job, in their home country, they are expected to pay back the scholarship so that another person in the area can use it. The idea is to lift poeple where they are. They then become community leaders, educators, productive members of society, etc. Give people the ability to better themselves where they are and in turn they'll improve their surroundings. I'd say this is far better than running across the desert in the middle of the night and living off US handouts.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:41:04 AM EDT
Because some people are taking this opportunity to start (yet another) Mormon bash fest, I am withdrawing from this thread. If anyone has any specific questions about food storage or emergency preparedness as practiced by the Church, please feel free to email me via the site. I refuse to debate my beliefs via this board and be insulted by sarcasm and innuendo. If you want info, great. If you want to bash someone's religion, look somewhere else.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:17:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:38:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rcoers:

Mike

And the funds are used to buy shopping malls in Salt Lake City, cattle ranches, the Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii, a radio station chain, etc, etc....

It's amazing they're tax exempt.

Actually, you'll find that the LDS Church maintains some seperate businesses and institutions that are not funded through tithing. Some are "for profit" and pay for themselves.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:47:03 AM EDT

Those people are not LDS, Polygamy has not been a part of the church since 1896 when it was given up to pave the way for statehood for Utah and because of Divine revelation...

'How convenient !' ~ The Church Lady (Dana Garvey), Saturday Night Live.

Eric The(Timely)Hun

Eric, why do you insist on Mormon bashing every time a thread like this comes up? Anyone who has been around this board for a while knows your opinion of Mormons. A question was asked and answered. If you want to Mormon bash, why don't you take it to the religion forum so that people who want to debate you can do so?

Mike the (respectfully tired of being bashed) Mormon

If that's bashing, you must have an extremely low theshold for what you consider 'bashing'!

Respectfully yours,

Eric The(GetOffMyLawn!)Hun

Don't take Eric too seriously, mdb212. He likes to give us a little ribbing now and then to see if he can get someone worked up.

Here, Eric, is the exact reason why plural marriage has been discontinued within the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints:

Exerpt from OFFICIAL DECLARATION—1:

"...Inasmuch as laws have been enacted by Congress forbidding plural marriages, which laws have been pronounced constitutional by the court of last resort, I hereby declare my intention to submit to those laws, and to use my influence with the members of the Church over which I preside to have them do likewise..."

Also,
EXCERPTS FROM THREE ADDRESSES BY
PRESIDENT WILFORD WOODRUFF
REGARDING THE MANIFESTO:

"The question is this: Which is the wisest course for the Latter-day Saints to pursue—to continue to attempt to practice plural marriage, with the laws of the nation against it and the opposition of sixty millions of people, and at the cost of the confiscation and loss of all the Temples, and the stopping of all the ordinances therein, both for the living and the dead, and the imprisonment of the First Presidency and Twelve and the heads of families in the Church, and the confiscation of personal property of the people (all of which of themselves would stop the practice); or, after doing and suffering what we have through our adherence to this principle to cease the practice and submit to the law, and through doing so leave the Prophets, Apostles and fathers at home, so that they can instruct the people and attend to the duties of the Church, and also leave the Temples in the hands of the Saints, so that they can attend to the ordinances of the Gospel, both for the living and the dead?

The Lord showed me by vision and revelation exactly what would take place if we did not stop this practice. If we had not stopped it, you would have had no use for . . . any of the men in this temple at Logan; for all ordinances would be stopped throughout the land of Zion. Confusion would reign throughout Israel, and many men would be made prisoners. This trouble would have come upon the whole Church, and we should have been compelled to stop the practice. Now, the question is, whether it should be stopped in this manner, or in the way the Lord has manifested to us, and leave our Prophets and Apostles and fathers free men, and the temples in the hands of the people, so that the dead may be redeemed. A large number has already been delivered from the prison house in the spirit world by this people, and shall the work go on or stop? This is the question I lay before the Latter-day Saints. You have to judge for yourselves. I want you to answer it for yourselves. I shall not answer it; but I say to you that that is exactly the condition we as a people would have been in had we not taken the course we have.

. . . I saw exactly what would come to pass if there was not something done. I have had this spirit upon me for a long time. But I want to say this: I should have let all the temples go out of our hands; I should have gone to prison myself, and let every other man go there, had not the God of heaven commanded me to do what I did do; and when the hour came that I was commanded to do that, it was all clear to me. I went before the Lord, and I wrote what the Lord told me to write. . . ."

---------------------------------------

I know that it's a lot, but it explains quite clearly why the revelation was received. Yes, it was sensible and convenient. Is the Lord prohibited from making such decisions? The members of the LDS Church have proven time and time again that they can handle "less convenient" things if need be.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:49:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By weptek911:
Can I ask about another rumour I heard ?. Yes ?.

OKay, Is it true that the Mormon church rotates large numbers whole families through a fallout shelter type operation in case of a doomsday scenario ?.

I heard this from a guy that also told me about the 1 year food supply thing. I'm not trolling or trying to start anything.( It seems like a good idea to me. ) I just wonder if there is any truth to it.

Oh, and I'll have to try the carrot and jello thing.

No, that part is not true at all. In fact, it's a pretty funny piece of fiction.

The LDS Church does teach its members about self sufficiency, a 72 hour kit (family BOB), food storage, water storage, raising a garden, getting an education, getting out of debt, etc.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:53:01 AM EDT
i dont know guys....the green jello thing has a strong foot hold in the nevada mormons as well. seems like everytime i was forced to eat with them here comes the bowl of green jello and gallons of milk.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:05:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BeckettOfNevada:
i dont know guys....the green jello thing has a strong foot hold in the nevada mormons as well. seems like everytime i was forced to eat with them here comes the bowl of green jello and gallons of milk.

Yikes, my lactose intollerance would kill me if I was "forced" to consume gallons of milk. I better watch out for those Mormons.

Oh wait, I am one!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:13:39 AM EDT

As a Latter-Day Saint convert I am really amused by the comments about green jello. Before I joined the Church I was in the Army 1967-1968. During Basic Training I was standing in the chow line and someone puts a big scoop of green jello with shredded carrots and chopped green onions in it on my plate. I thought to myself, what is this stuff? Man it tasted nasty. And I can tell you with surety that the Mess Sergeant Dominick Bonano was not a "Mormon".

Flash forward a few years: My wife and I are at a family picnic and one of her aunts brings out a big mold of green jello with shredded carrots. I said to the wife "Where did your aunt learn to cook? Was she ever in the Army?"... I don't think it's a "Mormon thing", I think its the universal method for getting rid of leftovers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:19:48 AM EDT
I remember the green jello/carrot stuff from when I was a kid in western Nebraska. But I don't remember if it was one of grandma's things or from school lunch. Must have been grandma's. Ate quite a bit of it because I had too. Our family is protesant.

I certainly don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I don't put very much stock in the religion it's self. However, I really admire many of the things the church does.

Your approach to welfare is what should be in place in this country. Not the national handout system that currently exists.

The subject of this thread is a grand idea everybody should practice. But sadly so few do. Me included.

I really admire the focus the church puts on family life.

And I will say there are far fewer Mormons who aren't hard working, honest people then any other religous group I've ever met.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:27:02 AM EDT

I was in the Army 1967-1968. During Basic Training I was standing in the chow line and someone puts a big scoop of green jello with shredded carrots and chopped green onions in it on my plate.

What? No radishes?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:27:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2005 9:31:52 AM EDT by sterling18]
Damn,

I forgot my usual snacks, but it looks like the usual suspects have arrived.

To think this thread was a question about being prepared and survival gear.

eta, why the heck would anyone ruin a perfectly fine bowl a jello with veggies is beyond me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:45:12 AM EDT
I really respect the Mormon religion for encouraging self reliance and preparing for the worst.

Too many other people are grasshoppers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:45:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:51:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By thompsondd:
Some guy on Savage Nation just called in and said that the Church teaches preparedness and survival and encourages members to store a years worth of supplies away.

Is this true?

Not a Mormon but I have a few friends who are.

It seems to be prevalent amongst the old school Mormons. My buddy's parents do it.

My buddy's will suffice with beer.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:04:08 AM EDT

Because some people are taking this opportunity to start (yet another) Mormon bash fest, I am withdrawing from this thread. If anyone has any specific questions about food storage or emergency preparedness as practiced by the Church, please feel free to email me via the site. I refuse to debate my beliefs via this board and be insulted by sarcasm and innuendo. If you want info, great. If you want to bash someone's religion, look somewhere else.

Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:08:43 AM EDT

I've never the noticed the green Jello thing here in Boise. Some time ago I worked for a company that was like 80% Mormon. The LDS wives had an ongoing, but spirited, cinnamon roll contest going on it seemed and their husbands would bring the warm rolls into work. I'm not a Mormon, but in order to foster good working relationships between people of different faiths, I threw myself into the roll of cinnamon roll judge...not 'cuz I liked c. rolls or anything, mind you. I think I picked up a few pounds from that experience...

On a more serious note, one can find some great "survivalist" food storage gear, grain, and other supplies at stores that cater to the LDS folks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:17:48 AM EDT
Really the thing with the mormons here and milk is that they run a few of the dairys so they each literly drink gallons of it a day.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top