Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2006 5:34:44 PM EDT
Found out that I'm on non deployable status due to a mild case of Ulcerative Colitis. Doc looked confused when I told him I wanted and been trying to go and that I wasn't happy about it like he thought I should be. Oh well hopefully I can get it changed in 6 mos.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Talked to the doc today looks like I might be able to get it changed in 6 months....hopefully.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:53:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for at least trying to serve your country I guess
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#4]
"Ulcerative colitis is a disease that causes inflammation and sores, called ulcers, in the lining of the rectum and colon. Ulcers form where inflammation has killed the cells that usually line the colon, then bleed and produce pus. Inflammation in the colon also causes the colon to empty frequently, causing diarrhea."

Ouch.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess they don't want holes from the inside out interfering with your ability to get holes from the outside in.

That said, if you're filling a moderately critical billet, or work speciality all by your lonesome and suddenly you get rendered hors de combat by a bad belly and get shipped back to the hospital, your unit will play hob until they get a replacement.  (now how that differs from a combat wound replacement I don't know).  Going in with everybody fit and ready is one less problem for the cadre to be worried about.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#6]
You're probably still more fit for duty than the slackers in my unit. We've got so many people who seem to be on permanent profiles that keep them from doing anything physical. I don't know how people can stay in the army for years when they can't do PT, can't go to the field, can't lift things, can't be deployed...
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in a similar situation here.
Follow the doctor's orders to the letter.
Don't be stupid like me and let it become a full blown case

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
"Ulcerative colitis is a disease that causes inflammation and sores, called ulcers, in the lining of the rectum and colon. Ulcers form where inflammation has killed the cells that usually line the colon, then bleed and produce pus. Inflammation in the colon also causes the colon to empty frequently, causing diarrhea."

Ouch.

I have a very, very mild case according to the doc, and with a little bit of the meds and some herbal stuff I've been pretty much symptomless for nearly 2 months( symptoms really weren't that bad to begin with). This wouldn't seem so bad If I would've already got the chance to go, but ever since the start it seems I've always been in a situation where I can't go, and now that I can go with my situation I can't because of my colon. The wife really doesn't mind me not going though. Go figure!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I hope that in your case, it does not get any worse.  I was deemed non-deployable, and therefore, non-commisionable.  Two weeks before receiving my gold bars at Ft. Lewis, the Army docs told me they'd give me a free plane ride back to WNY.  In my case, I had Proctitis, which is now Crohn's.

It wasn't fun being AWAKE and having a huge freaking guy hold me down while the doctor took a look at my insides.

4 years later, and I can only imagine how painful it would be to have what I have, and be in Iraq trying to be productive.  A few more colonoscopies, 2 surgeries later, and a few drugs that didn't do anything, I'm only now beginning to get better.

The doctor, back in 2002, told me that if I'd already been enlisted or commissioned, then I would have been allowed to stay in.  But since I was only in ROTC, they kicked me to the curb.  I was bitter for a long time, seeing my friends go to Iraq and me staying home.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
-snip-
The doctor, back in 2002, told me that if I'd already been enlisted or commissioned, then I would have been allowed to stay in.  But since I was only in ROTC, they kicked me to the curb.  I was bitter for a long time, seeing my friends go to Iraq and me staying home.  

Probably not.  Buddy of mine, already commissioned, came up with Crohn's was discharged in IOBC.

NoMoAMMO, best of luck getting this taken care of and getting into the fight.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
-snip-

Probably not.  Buddy of mine, already commissioned, came up with Crohn's was discharged in IOBC.

NoMoAMMO, best of luck getting this taken care of and getting into the fight.

I have a buddy still on active duty with Crohns - I think he was diagnosed WELL past the OBC stage - so that might have something to do with it.

He was also deployed with 3 ID last year - so maybe its an issue of degree of severity or such?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have a buddy still on active duty with Crohns - I think he was diagnosed WELL past the OBC stage - so that might have something to do with it.

He was also deployed with 3 ID last year - so maybe its an issue of degree of severity or such?

Possibly.  If the inflamation is in remission, or he does not need drugs to control it.  Wish him luck for me, cause he does not need that acting up over there.

In my case, my DR flat out told me that this was a "Life Shortening Disease".  After that visit I broke down hard.  That, on top of the surgery I already had, I was not in my best form.  The next day while visiting my Colorectal Surgeon, I told him my experience, and he just looked at me funny and said, "Well yeah, if its not treated."  Made me feel better and stupid at the same time.  

I hate this disease.  I'd rather have cancer.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You're probably still more fit for duty than the slackers in my unit. We've got so many people who seem to be on permanent profiles that keep them from doing anything physical. I don't know how people can stay in the army for years when they can't do PT, can't go to the field, can't lift things, can't be deployed...

They stay because they can sit back and get paid while others take up their slack.

The .mil lets them stay because they need numbers since numbers = dollars.  No shit...my company still has shitbags on the roster that I did AWOL packets on when we mobilized in Jan 05 and they didn't show.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top