Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/18/2012 10:24:27 AM EDT
My mother's house had it and the inventory came my way. Unlike the NA wine which was bought for me since I could often not drink at her place, carrying weapons, this stuff was bought by me, by accident. She was making beer chicken one night and told me get some beer, cheap stuff, so I got the cheapest stuff on sale.

Of course, I never drank the beer nor wine at her place because while it may say NA, it still had just a smiggen in it, and legally, it wouldn't fly. I did eventually open the wine.....and it was terrible. Like super grape juice.

But the beer, though, wasn't that bad. It was more like super tasty soda water, but it was better than just having soda.

So anyone ever use this as a substitute for normal beer? Perhaps when you want to have a few when on a date and still want to play later on?
________________________________________________________________________________
("Do mind telling me how we are suppose to get it up?"––Lauren as the two girls sneak in disguise into the bordello to find their mark, (w,stte), "Outrageous Fortune")
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I've tried a bunch over the years. Most suck.

The best tasting I've found is Kaliber. I have yet to try St Pauli Girl NA though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#2]
St Pauli Girl NA is pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 10:34:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Once I stopped into a biker bar and was drinking. I asked them if the Busch they had in the cooler was cheaper than the Bud heavy I was drinking, bartender said "yes, but it's non-alcoholic".
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 10:44:35 AM EDT
[#4]
A ripe banana contains more alcohol than an N.A. beer.

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Wat?
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#6]
IIRC, NA beer is brewed the same as any other beer, but the alcohol is removed via vacuum distillation

ETA: Becks NA is pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I had few different kinds in Iraq and St Pauli Girl was definitely the best. However, "the best" is set at a pretty low bar when it comes to NA beer.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It perhaps does but Texas CHL laws are very specific about drinking while carrying. Consuming anything that has a marking of alcohol on it while carrying is foolhardy, in my philosophy anyhow, at best.

Perhaps another way to look at it. Just as one would not drink or consume such if they were on antabuse, so they should not if they are carrying.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#9]
CLAUSTENHAULER sp?  its very good!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#10]
O'douls fucking rocks!
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Back in BCT, we were allowed to go to the snack bar as a reward for something we did exceptionally well, anyhow they had Texas Select, a near beer produced by the Pearl Brewery.  I slammed 3 and barely caught a buzz.  But it was about like Pearl Lite., that 64 calorie answer to Coors Light.

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Drinking NA beer is like shooting Airsoft
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I don't know. I think it's kind of like drinking soda; pretty worthless ingestion of calories, except for the fact that it can be refreshing and taste good OK.

But yeah, real beer is much better.

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Wait. I'm not supposed to consume alcohol when I'm playing with guns?
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#15]
1.   Beck's NA-My favorite
2.   Buckler NA-Cheaper, but still acceptable
3.   St Pauli Girl NA-Acceptable if the above two are not available
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#16]
i'll stick with real beer, kthx.

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#17]
How much alcohol is in NA beer? How much can it have and still be NA?

Does cough syrup have more?
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I have an uncle that I recall gave up the drinking but he'd have a couple N/A's for when being social.

I think I've tried O'Douls once and I remember it being horrible. I've never really had a reason to drink it, as I've never needed an alternative to regular beer. Maybe if I had a job where I was on call or something.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think it has to have less than 0.5 percent ABV.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
IIRC, NA beer is brewed the same as any other beer, but the alcohol is removed via vacuum distillation

Actually, NO.
It is brewed just like any other beer -but only fermented for a very very short time.

Very short.

(I am in the beer biz, in a big brewery, right now as I type this...)
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Boil some water, put some hops in a little tea bag.  Steep the hops in the water.

There you go!
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, NO.
It is brewed just like any other beer -but only fermented for a very very short time.

Very short.

Do they strain the yeast out afterward?  I'd imagine they'd have to, or risk splodie bottles.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, NO.

Very short.

Do they strain the yeast out afterward?  I'd imagine they'd have to, or risk splodie bottles.

Yep,
It gets centrifuged, filtered, aged, filtered again, bottled, then Pateurized, then packaged,
just like almost everything else we do (draft stuff, of course, is a little different).
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm sorry, but ever since RustedAce's comment about reading your posts in the voice of Harry S. Plinkett... I just can't concentrate on the actual content of the post.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm sorry, but ever since RustedAce's comment about reading your posts in the voice of Harry S. Plinkett... I just can't concentrate on the actual content of the post.  

I didn't see what you did there...

But my brain did.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've heard it put this way:

"Drinking non-alcoholic beer is like eating out your sister. It may taste the same, but you know it just ain't right."
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

0.50% or less.  By law.  Basically, you would have to drink a six pack to equal one beer.

Cough syrup generally has no alcohol since the anti-alcohol ninnies had it pulled.  It was at one time a co-solvent but now they rely on micro-crystallization and suspension, making the cough syrup thicker.  Another example, Delsym cough syrup (time release) uses a polystyrene resin bead system to deliver the active ingredient, requiring a very thick suspension to keep the polystyrene resin beads in suspension.  

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 1:33:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Drinking non-alcoholic beer is like eating out your sister. It may taste the same, but you know it just ain't right."

I don't have a sister.  Could you spare me one so I may experience this example?

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I've heard of alchy's drinking vanilla extract for the alcohol content...
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have a sister.  Could you spare me one so I may experience this example?  

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Back in 1984 when I was 13 y/o I had a paper route and one of my stops was one of the local bars.  I remember drinking a few ice cold "Zings"

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I've heard of alchy's drinking vanilla extract for the alcohol content...
Aftershave and mouthwash as well.

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It perhaps does but Texas CHL laws are very specific about drinking while carrying. Consuming anything that has a marking of alcohol on it while carrying is foolhardy, in my philosophy anyhow, at best.

Perhaps another way to look at it. Just as one would not drink or consume such if they were on antabuse, so they should not if they are carrying.

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You want to hear something kind of crazy?

I actually shoot better with a little bit of an alcohol buzz.  Swear to God.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Coors NA is/was given away at the chowhalls in kuwait and Iraq...

Didn't taste too bad, just not quite the same.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's fantastic that you've tried drinking and shooting so you could find this out.  Please go on national TV and tell everyone the news.  I'm sure this would in no way make you or any other gun owner look bad.

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's fantastic that you've tried drinking and shooting so you could find this out.  Please go on national TV and tell everyone the news.  I'm sure this would in no way make you or any other gun owner look bad.

Did I make your ears bleed or something?

Jesus Rice.

I'm not a spokesperson for gun owners.    As far as safety goes, if you can't safely handle a firearm with a little bit of a buzz then you probably can't safely handle a firearm sober.  I'm just making a relevant comment about the whole "You can't have any alcohol in your system and operate a gun!" crap.

It's simply not true.  Rather than lower ourselves to other's mistaken prejucdices, I would think a better objective would be to dispel myths.  But like I said, I'm not a spokesperson for gun ownership. High level thinking is beyond me.

Too many beers.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus Rice.

I'm not a spokesperson for gun owners.    As far as safety goes, if you can't safely handle a firearm with a little bit of a buzz then you probably can't safely handle a firearm sober.  I'm just making a relevant comment about the whole "You can't have any alcohol in your system and operate a gun!" crap.

It's simply not true.  Rather than lower ourselves to other's mistaken prejucdices, I would think a better objective would be to dispel myths.  But like I said, I'm not a spokesperson for gun ownership. High level thinking is beyond me.

Too many beers.

Safely operating a firearm isn't tantamount to having the key to a nuclear arsenal. Contrary to popular belief not everyone gets herp derp after a couple of drinks, and is certainly not going to forget firearm safety rules that have been ingrained into them. Only in this day in age would you accept the pacified, tit suckling version of a man as acceptable as he currently is.

If having a couple beers with the guys and shooting a gun makes me irresponsible in your eyes then sobeit.

ETA Quote is directed a branch up, and supporting whom I quoted
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 2:55:44 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

("He's teaching me. About biology. I've developed an interest in...,"––Gallagher trying to put off the discovery of their still

"...fermentation?"––Bowman, (w,stte), "Red Planet")

My best welds are done with a beer or two in my belly.  But you already know that .

That is GTAW for those that don't know.

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My best welds are done with a beer or two in my belly.  But you already know that .

That is GTAW for those that don't know.

Yep.  Keith can fix just about anything with a stick welder and some cheap beer.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus Rice.

Too many beers.

Safely operating a firearm isn't tantamount to having the key to a nuclear arsenal. Contrary to popular belief not everyone gets herp derp after a couple of drinks, and is certainly not going to forget firearm safety rules that have been ingrained into them. Only in this day in age would you accept the pacified, tit suckling version of a man as acceptable as he currently is.

If having a couple beers with the guys and shooting a gun makes me irresponsible in your eyes then sobeit.

ETA Quote is directed a branch up, and supporting whom I quoted

I recall Jeff Cooper relaying about how some of the more traditional shooting ranges in Germany and other parts of Central Europe actually have posts on the shooting line where you can put your beer steins and can even serve beer on the range.  In the Western world, it seems Americans are the most uptight when it comes to alcohol and just about any activity or circumstance one can think of.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 3:17:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

SNIP

I recall Jeff Cooper relaying about how some of the more traditional shooting ranges in Germany and other parts of Central Europe actually have posts on the shooting line where you can put your beer steins and can even serve beer on the range.  In the Western world, it seems Americans are the most uptight when it comes to alcohol and just about any activity or circumstance one can think of.
I would guess that's because few other places in the world can someone do something stupid and be absolved of

any wrongdoing by claiming, "It's not my fault, I was drunk". Not to mention the lawsuits to follow. The U.S. is doomed.

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:
SNIP

I would guess that's because few other places in the world can someone do something stupid and be absolved of

any wrongdoing by claiming, "It's not my fault, I was drunk". Not to mention the lawsuits to follow. The U.S. is doomed.

Drinking a beer or two is not going to make too many people drunk.  It seems the average American has no sense of proportion in this regard.  Even one non-alcoholic beer seems to be considered by some to be the equivalent of being intoxicated when it comes to things like driving or shooting or handling firearms.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 3:32:14 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

SNIP

Drinking a beer or two is not going to make too many people drunk.  It seems the average American has no sense of proportion in this regard.  Even one non-alcoholic beer seems to be considered by some to be the equivalent of being intoxicated when it comes to things like driving or shooting or handling firearms.
I know. But this country is in love with zero-tolerance and other absolutes. Common sense just isn't common enough.

ETA: FWIW I agree with the other posters that said if you are unsafe after 1 or 2 beers, you would probably be

unsafe sober as well.

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Last winter in Zermatt, Switzerland we stopped for lunch on the slopes. I got half way through a beer before I realized it was non-alcoholic. It wasn't bad, but I don't remember what brand it was. It may have been something local.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

0.50% or less.  By law.  Basically, you would have to drink a six pack to equal one beer........  

Wow....there are beers out there like that? Most of mine are at least 7%.

Anyhow, two things. Zero tolerance BS or not, that's the CHL law. No drinking. Secondly, a lot of my philosophy in this sphere centers around that in areas that I have been specially trained, I should expect them to judge me more sternly in court should I end up there. So I up my "conduct" standards on these matters. Usually, it is 12 hours bottle to throttle but I don't know what it would be for NA beer; I have just always treated it the same.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had few different kinds in Iraq and St Pauli Girl was definitely the best. However, "the best" is set at a pretty low bar when it comes to NA beer.

Once the micro-brews start,  things might improve.

It's still N/A

Link Posted: 8/18/2012 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#48]
I never saw the point since I thought beer tasted like crap anyway.  Still do.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

0.50% or less.  By law.  Basically, you would have to drink a six pack to equal one beer........  

Anyhow, two things. Zero tolerance BS or not, that's the CHL law. No drinking. Secondly, a lot of my philosophy in this sphere centers around that in areas that I have been specially trained, I should expect them to judge me more sternly in court should I end up there. So I up my "conduct" standards on these matters. Usually, it is 12 hours bottle to throttle but I don't know what it would be for NA beer; I have just always treated it the same.

Actually, it isn't.  It is against the law to carry while intoxicated.  Intoxicated is not defined for the purposes of that statute.

I'd love to see a lawyer try to argue for a conviction of UCW because they were "intoxicated" despite showing zero signs of intoxication.
Link Posted: 8/18/2012 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, it isn't.  It is against the law to carry while intoxicated.  Intoxicated is not defined for the purposes of that statute.

I'd love to see a lawyer try to argue for a conviction of UCW because they were "intoxicated" despite showing zero signs of intoxication.

Gamble the law as one wishes, but for my purpose, I do not drink while carrying.

For if in anything else, might one win against criminal law, they are not as likely to win in the civil suit that will be out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top