Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2001 6:44:48 AM EDT
Yesterday Rush Limbaugh was exploring the minds of moderates. Someone called near the end of the show and claimed to be a moderate and he gave an example about guns. He said that he didn't think people should have full-auto's, but they should be allowed to own guns, thereby semi-auto's are the moderate stance. Rush responded by saying there is no such thing as semi-auto, it is a media created buzz word. By that I think he meant that you still need to pull the trigger for each shot. The gun won't automatically fire without input from the shooter. An example of true semi-auto(or partially auto) would be a gun that fired three round bursts. As usual I agree with Rush, so what do we call our guns that is more accurate then semi-auto? Granted many of us call AR-15's assault weapons when they are not, but this forum came up with the name Sport Utility Rifles. I think we can come up with another name for semi-auto. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:47:12 AM EDT
[#1]
The cumbersome term used a lot before semiauto became the accepted designation was 'self-loading'
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:52:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Rush is very much on our side philosophically, but he's not a "gun guy".  Semi-auto is a generally accepted term.  It means exactly the same thing as self-loading or self-loader.  

Norm
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:54:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Possibles -

Tools of Freedom

Required Gear for a Citizen Militiaman like Myself.

Kool Toys.

Black Deer Rifles

Things that Make Liberals Wet Themselves.

Investments.

Equalizers.

Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:55:30 AM EDT
[#4]
THere's A BIG difference between Simi and full
other wise calling a Simi a full would be stupid.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#5]
It does not matter what you call them, becuse the antis will just want to ban it!
Politcal correctness will just kill, you if you try to go along anyway!
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I didn't want us to come up with a more politicaly correct term for semi-auto and I don't think Rush did either. I think he was implying that semi-auto isn't the most accurate term. Just because we accept it doesn't mean that its right. ie my point about people calling AR's assault weapons when they aren't.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 7:03:49 AM EDT
[#7]
[size=3]SINGLE AUTO: refers to a auto loading
gun that fires one bullet with each pull of the
trigger.

FULL AUTO: refers to a auto loading gun that
fires multiple bullets with one pull of the trigger.[/size=3]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree Rush is the last person I would want discussing the gun control issue because it is of no personal interest of his.

I heard this bit also and was screaming back at my radio for Rush to shut up.

Rush also agreed with the shooter that no one needs AK47s. He also did not correct the caller when he stated that he was pro-gun because he was a hunter.

Rush should have pointed out that a persons right to own firearms is not about hunting.

Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I was listening to that also.
I think Rush just confused the name Assault Rifle with Semi Auto...

Because "assault rifle", as used to describe a semi aoto rifle, is a media created buzz word.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:54:23 AM EDT
[#10]
This is why I would rather listen to Ken Hamblin.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Ahhh Yeesssss,,,,, The Black Avenger!   He's cool!
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:19:04 AM EDT
[#12]
edited cause im a sick ****
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the term "self loading". However the antis will argue that it has a mind of its own because it loads itself and that is a small step towards firing itself and that makes firearms evil. We can still call it a semi-auto and tell them to f*ck themselves.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#14]
My M-16 has 3 positions.  Safe, Semi,and burst.  So I call it Semi.   [sniper]
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Why not just call them "black heaven"?
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 2:12:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Rush DID NOT explicitly agree with the guy who said no one needs an AK47.   What he DID say was that he thought most people would agree with him.

I don't know what Rush believes as far as Sport Utility Rifles go, but I know he would agree with us if he were properly informed.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 2:22:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Actually, in the strictest sense of the word, Rush is right.  

The "correct" term IS "self loader" or "self loading" firearm.

Full auto is defined as more than one round being discharged by a single manipulation of the trigger.

The term "semi-auto" is in reality a misnomer. It does NOT define a "self loader".

We all use the term semi-auto, and we all know what it means.  But that does not make the term correct.

An example would be the word "clip".  Most people use that word interchangably with the word "magazine".  However, a clip is not a magazine, and a magazine is not a clip - in the strictest sense of the word.

cheers

tire iron
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I heard that also.  Never really thought about it but I think selfloading is a better term.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I think semi-auto is a better term:

ALL Full-autos are ALSO "self loaders"

NO Full-autos are semi-autos.

Safe/Semi/Burst/Auto

not

Safe/SelfLoadingSingleShot/SelfLoadingBurst/SelfLoadingAuto

I think Semi-Auto is more concise.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey, remember, Rush illustrates the absurd by being absurd.  Anyway, it way too late to change "semiauto" to anything else.  It is now standard vernacular speech of the day.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I agree with BISHOP, I think Rush confused semi-auto with the media created buzz word assault rifle. I believe what he meant to say is there is no such thing as a semi-auto assault weapon.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Semi-Automatic refers to all the functions of a firearm, not just the firing. For example: A Full-Auto. [uzi] performs all of the functions of fining without repeatedly pulling the trigger. Once engaged, it fires until disengaged. Perhaps, burst fire could also be considered semi-automatic, because it stops firing after a set number of rounds. The best terms would be:

Single-Fire Semi-Automatic: Fires One shot before pulling the trigger again
Triple-Fire Semi-Automatic: Fires a 3-Shot Burst

I believe, though correct me if I'm wrong, is that at the end of the 19th Century, The Single/Double Action Revolver was replaced with a Pistol That didn't require the hammer to be cocked, yet performed only one action per pull of the trigger. This is why the Semi-Auto. Pistol [pistol] was refered to as such. Perhaps another term could be:

Auto-Cocking Single-Action.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 4:01:54 PM EDT
[#23]
How about a "Not-so-full-auto", or "half-full-auto" if you're the optimistic sort.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I, too, heard that bit, and I was more angry with the caller than Limbaugh, who I dislike, anyway.  It was a typical response from "bad"
gun owners - "I got mine, so screw the rest of you guys."  I wish I could have debated the issue of AK47's with the hunter.  Sure, it would be o.k. if the Government took away all
the SKS's, AK's, AR's, FAL's, etc, because HE
would still have his 30-30. Yeah, right, like
the ATF, so empowered, would leave him alone.
I wonder if the hunter knew how many decent
folks hunt with SKS's?  Or how many folks bought
AK variants - semi auto - just to shoot bowling
pins.  These guys don't see the big picture.
The anti gun groups want them ALL, not just the
evil AK47's. Hmm...wouldn't his hunting rifle
qualify as a sniper rifle?  VERY evil!  I am
rambling, so I apologize for that. John
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#25]
  I heard the segment as well and at that moment wondered how long it would take to hit this site. 03shooter and Bishop MIGHT be right in that he got his words confused, but I think he was leading to something else. I think he was infering that in the minds of anti-gunners the semi-auto, full-auto thing is a moot point. To them it doesn't matter, hence no differnece or need to be clear. Reguardless of operation they simply want to use terms that they know will frighten and confuse people. That's my take anyway.
BrenLover
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#26]
How about "Virtually Auto" or "Safe Loader"
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Why doesn't someone explain it to him, as well as the true meaning of the 2nd (Rush might know it but it sounds like some of his listeners don't). Your preaching to the choir here I'm afraid.
Link Posted: 6/14/2001 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#28]
The Army's description of the M1 Garand from TM 9-1005-222-12

a clip-fed, gas-operated, air-cooled, semiautomatic shoulder weapon
View Quote

That description fits the AR with the exception of 'clip-fed' which would be 'magazine-fed'. What is the big deal about 'semi-auto'?

Link Posted: 6/14/2001 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#30]
btt
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Who cares?  If Rush is not a gun owner, then he is a hypocrite.

I meet a lot of these types:

"Well, [b]I[/b] don't own any guns, but it's okay with me if you do."

Here's what's wrong with that statement:  It appears to be a sort of "live and let live" type of thing until you examine it a little deeper.  What this person is really saying is that guns are barbaric and that they are more cultured and more evolved than you are because they can "put up" with your gun ownership and sort of smilingly lord over you like you are the little child and they are the all-knowing master.  It also implies that they have some control over your right to bear arms being that "it's okay with them."  

These people are not to be trusted.  They are the same ones that demand you sacrifice your life for their safety.  They are the ones who benefit from our having CHLs without lifting a finger to do anything about their own safety.  They are also the reason why whenever there is a mass shooting someplace, there is no one actually carrying a concealed weapon and thus no one able to resist.  Think about it, can you really trust someone who is not a gun owner to fully support gun ownership?  It puts them in a one-down disadvantage, their high and mighty egos notwithstanding.

These people are just as dangerous as the antis because they are control freaks of a much more devious and covert sort.  They're the ones who, if and when guns are finally banned, will turn gun owners into the police for a reward and rationalize their act by thinking that it is the gunowners who are misguided and thus it is for "their own good" that they be disarmed by the state.

Just for the record, "I have no problem" with these people's decision not to own any guns.  But I also have "no problem" with my not coming to their aid in an emergency.  I certainly have "no problem" with their homes being burglarized and their families taken hostage and/or killed.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:43:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I agree with Imbrog|io about Ken Hamblin.  He is no longer on in my area, but he is the BEST.  I would venture to say if the white racists on this board had a chance to listen to him for a few hours it would be HARD to not love him.  He is the best out there.
View Quote

I agree, I think White racists would love Ken Hamblin, since he's basically one of them. . . .

I saw Hamblin at an I-200 rally (I-200 was an equal-rights initiative in Washington state about five years ago, similar to CA's Prop 209).  Hamblin just couldn't talk enough about ghetto blacks grabbing their crotches.  I couldn't figure out why he kept bringing it up except that he must be full of self-hatred for his own race.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 12:56:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Now why did this topic get dug up after nearly 5 months??  What's the motivation?

Sgtar15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top