Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2006 7:25:22 AM EDT
By Ron Swerdfiger
Pitbulls Will Remain In Oklahoma City

Cody's Bill was a proposed bill in the name of three-year-old Cody Yelton, who lost one of his arms in a Pitbull attack last June, and if past, would've banned Pitbulls from Oklahoma City.

The bill was rejected recently based on the committee that was reviewing it, feeling uncomfortable with the proposed definition of a "dangerous dog."

The bill if past, would've simply banned certain dogs from Oklahoma City if they were not officially registered.

For Cody's family, this news will not ease their pain. First their son loses an arm, and to top that, the breed of dog responsible for the horific incident is left alone?? I am aware of the fact that the majority of Pitbull attacks are a direct result of lousy dog owners not taking responsibility for their dogs, however we must realize that no matter how responsible we are as dog owners, certain dogs have very light hair triggers that if we do not know how to control, will result in something like this happening
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:36:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Good.  Breed specific laws don't accomplish much.  Bad owners just switch breeds.

ETA:

however we must realize that no matter how responsible we are as dog owners, certain dogs have very light hair triggers that if we do not know how to control, will result in something like this happening

That's crap.  No breed has a hair trigger and pits were bred to specifically not have them.  They were bred for fighting and were bred to specifically be tolerant of humans since, when breaking dogs from a fight, a dog that bit a human was disqualified.  I'm not endorsing dog fighting in any way but that's the facts.  The reasons some dogs have hair triggers is entirely due to bad owners and improper socialization.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:43:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I would agree, there are many breeds of dogs in the same genre as pitbulls just that the news media has demonize the pitbulls.  My neighbor had pitbull terrier all the silly dog wanted to do was play, and if you weren't careful, the dog would lick you to death.

Dogs also seem to have more reasoning ability than some humans, when dogs see a car coming at them at 30MPH they hurry and get out of the way, not so for some humans.

Of course dogs are animals, and they must be treated with a healthy dose of respect are invalid babies and possibly invalid people.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top