Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#1]
This has got to be a joke...    No way would any sane person elect this woman.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
OMG.....  She may actually be for real?

City of Wellford

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#4]
her reasoning doesnt sound like she is concerned about citizens safety from dangerous vehicle pursuits but from officer injuries resulting in tax payer money why the fuck even catch criminals then!? If she is so concerned about the burden on the taxpayers then dont run a jail, dont even pay for a police force!  I hope she realizes officers getting hurt and workmans comp claims are the price of doing business while enforcing the laws.....I hope she is a victim of a crime and when the officers arrive on scene and bad guy tries to run away, they let him....and tell her, we would have chased him...and probably caught him, but you wont let us......this is a perfect example of a lack of checks and balances...what gives her the right to make policies like this?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Simple,

The people elected her.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#6]
my theory is that i will chase anyone for anything. If i stop you for throwing a cigarette butt on the sidewalk and you run i will chase you and i WILL catch you.

This is for one reason. If nothing else it will show the public that they cannot run from the police and that they shouldnt try it. The main crime to be considered here is that they disregarded and disrespected the police by running. If you allow people to get away, then they will tell other people of their success and the problem will worsen.

Im like a dog chasing cars, If you run I will chase you. When i catch you I make sure we walk the long way back through the hood and other people see it.
I want the word to get out that the buck stops with me and that you will be held accountable for your actions. If you crime is minor and you are cooperative and remorseful, you will get an easy break. If you jaywalk and run when i try to stop you, i will give you a 50 dollar ticket for jaywalking and up to 180 days in jail for running.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:17:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm fine without chases, they should just shoot the fucker before they can run
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

my theory is that i will chase anyone for anything. If i stop you for throwing a cigarette butt on the sidewalk and you run i will chase you and i WILL catch you.

This is for one reason. If nothing else it will show the public that they cannot run from the police and that they shouldnt try it. The main crime to be considered here is that they disregarded and disrespected the police by running. If you allow people to get away, then they will tell other people of their success and the problem will worsen.

Im like a dog chasing cars, If you run I will chase you. When i catch you I make sure we walk the long way back through the hood and other people see it.

I want the word to get out that the buck stops with me and that you will be held accountable for your actions. If you crime is minor and you are cooperative and remorseful, you will get an easy break. If you jaywalk and run when i try to stop you, i will give you a 50 dollar ticket for jaywalking and up to 180 days in jail for running.

Well said...

If you chase the ones who do run... Less people will try it...

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:34:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Sounds like you and I would get along just fine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:00:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Wonder if that Dept has a PFT to get hired.  If they do, they can stop that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:29:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll pursue on foot all day long. I also think blanket restrictive policies are retarded - trust the officer's judgement, that's why you hired him.

But I'll gladly halt a pursuit if it's over something simple. Some things just aren't worth the risk, especially for a traffic ticket.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:50:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Wellford, S.C.

Population of around 2400.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:47:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:52:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Thats what happens when people who are not currently police try and dictate how police act.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:12:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
But when we asked Peake about her orderimpeding an officer from stopping a crime in progress, she becamedefensive and irate. The conversation went as follows:

Reporter: “Are you telling your officers if they witness a crime -they witness someone commit a crime on someone else and they’re tenyards away - they can’t go stop that person?“
Peake: “Is that in there?“ (referring to policy)
Reporter: “It says no chases whatsoever.“
Peake: “Well, that’s what I said, no chases, didn’t I? I didn’t saynothing about a crime. If you see a crime, this that and the other -“
Reporter: “Well, that’s what a chase is - “
Peake: “Well, I told them no chase on foot, and (the police chief) know exactly what I mean, so you’re trying to twist what I -“
Reporter: “No, I’m not. You said no chases. No chases means no chases.“
Peake: (claps hands) “You got you a story, thank God! You are so sweet!You got you a story on a woman in Wellford! Hallelujah! I’m so proud ofyou, Mr. Cato!“

In other words..she can't articulate one good reason for enacting this policy. Wait till the lawsuits from citizens who were victims of crime due to this policy start rolling in..

Police are not civilly responsible for the public safety. I'd suggest learning to use a firearm and getting a CCW and taking care of yourself.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:22:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#17]
After watching the video, I weep for the town.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:29:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well said...

If you chase the ones who do run... Less people will try it...

Nah, they'll just fight harder when you catch them.

Oh, and the pants they're wearing won't be theirs...
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone wanna bet she gets re-elected?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#20]
 Glad I don't live there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Easy to say when you are not a Wellford, SC Police Officer.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:40:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Police are not civilly responsible for the public safety.

Will not be surprised if the Mayor changes that policy too.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't, that ruling is far above her position.

Of course all the police could quit and find another city to work that didn't have asinine rules.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't, that ruling is far above her position.

Of course all the police could quit and find another city to work that didn't have asinine rules.

My sarcastic point was she would tell the city DA to negotiate settlement with anyone who files such a suit and not invoke immunity.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 5:13:44 AM EDT
[#25]
The Onion Strikes again!!

That's gotta be the Onion..
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 5:32:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This has got to be a joke...    No way would any sane person elect this woman.

LOL, look at the White House and say that again.

As for the ban on chases, I'm not saying I agree with this, but there are considerations.  Namely, liability is the main one.  Because of liability, insurance costs go up.  Maybe they can't afford the worker's comp and other insurance cost.  Some cities are uninsurable because of the high number of claims they have.  Just something to consider, there are no free lunches out there.

Now to the flip side, commit a crime and run.  You'll get away.  For the LEOs, it means you're more likely to live to retirement.

Foot chases cause great personal risk to individual officers.  It is a risk that we accept.

Car chases are a different matter as they can cause great risk to uninvolved citizens.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:38:41 AM EDT
[#27]
The point is the Mayorette/cunt is a substandard human being.

I would say fuck it and pursue. Fuck her. Then quit w/ no notice after finding a new gig. Drop all of my cases as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top