Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2009 9:23:29 PM EDT
Sleep.... Sleep.... Sleep....

Owners drop Freedom Tower name for new WTC skyscraper

NEW YORK (CNN) –– The agency that owns the space where the World Trade Center towers stood is freeing itself of the term "freedom" to describe the signature skyscraper replacing the buildings destroyed on September 11, 2001.

The change from Freedom Tower was revealed Thursday at a news conference where the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey announced the signing of the first commercial lease in the building to a Chinese company. The building is expected to be completed in late 2013.

"We've referred to the primary building planned for the site as One World Trade Center –– its legal name and street address –– for almost two years now, as well as using the name the Freedom Tower," said Stephen Sigmund, a spokesman for the Port Authority, in a statement released to CNN. "Many will always refer to it as the Freedom Tower, but as the building moves out of the planning stage and into full construction and leasing, we believe that going forward it is most practical to market the building as One World Trade Center."

Ten of the building's planned 108 above-ground floors have been built.

"The fact is, more than $3 billion of public money is invested in that building, and, as a public agency, we have the responsibility to make sure it is completed and that we utilize the best strategy to make certain it is fully occupied," Sigmund added.
New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, on the John Gambling radio show taped Friday morning, said he was not upset by the Port Authority's decision.

"It's up to the Port Authority," he said. "I have no idea what the commercial aspects are, and we can say, 'Oh, we shouldn't worry about that,' but of course you have to, particularly now.

"I would like to see it stay the Freedom Tower, but it's their building, and they don't need me dumping on it. If they could rent the whole thing by changing the name, I guess they're going to do that, and they probably, from a responsible point of view, should. From a patriotic point of view, is it going to make any difference?"

"marketing".

Yeah, I bet certain "international clients" would rather not have anything to do with any tribute reminding us of the Islamofascist terrorist attacks.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
prime example.  money talks, bullshit walks.  sad
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#2]
They can name it whatever the hell they want, everything I learned about islam, I learned on 9/11 and those douche bags can't change it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Eh, They're naming it the WTC again. Thats almost as big of a FUCK YOU to the terrorists as you can get. You knock two of our buildings down we'll just rebuild them bigger. I can dig it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Eh, They're naming it the WTC again. Thats almost as big of a FUCK YOU to the terrorists as you can get. You knock two of our buildings down we'll just rebuild them bigger. I can dig it.

I agree with this. calling it World Trade Center means business back and better than before.  an FU to islamoterrorists
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I support it.
We are the nation we are because of our ability to overcome adversity. Knock us down. Fuck if we care. We will get up and go right back to it.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Then why even fly flags on 9-11 anymore?

Why not really "show those terrorists" and go back to our regular routine and never put any tributes up anymore?

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Soon we will be owned and occupied by China anyway. Obama will be our King. Get used to it.

Over my dead fucking body.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:20:58 PM EDT
[#9]
One World Trade Center

Yeah, what a name.

Fkrs sure would like to have a one world
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
One World Trade Center

Yeah, what a name.

+1

That jumped out at me too.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
One World Trade Center

Yeah, what a name.

I have to admit I was thinking this as well.  I'm sure its meant to be thought of as the "One World" –– "Trade Center" as opposed to "One" –– "World Trade Center".
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Theres already a Freedom Tower, It's across the street from the American Airlines Arena here in Miami. It's the Cuban immigrant equivalent to Ellis Island.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've said this since day one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:34:56 PM EDT
[#14]
yea, its too bad itll be controlled by the Chinese though...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I could care less what they call the building. What's really upsetting is that the actual memorial itself might end up getting lost in all the other bullshit they plan on putting around it. It should be a memorial just for the victims of 9/11, and not information about slavery or how the Jews  suffered at the hands of Germans or what's going on in Tibet.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:37:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed. We should have used the exact same design even, only scaled up a few stories.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:59:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Sounds better IMO.

Just get the damn thing built already.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:48:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Freedom Tower. Chinese tenants. BS.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:53:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Be thankful they didn't name it "Obama Tower" like they were thinking of doing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:59:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

These times we are living in are so surreal, I almost believe that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:08:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

These times we are living in are so surreal, I almost believe that.

I tell you, if I didn't know I'd made it up, I'd've believed it myself.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:09:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Soon we will be owned and occupied by China anyway. Obama will be our King. Get used to it.

Over my dead fucking body.

I'm disappointed that an American company/government body such as the military, did not sign the first lease for the Freedom Tower.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:55:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:59:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Good, Freedom Tower is a stupid name anyway. It should have been named "World Trade Center" from the outset. It should have also been like 1 foot higher than the original towers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:00:36 AM EDT
[#25]
I like "One World Trade Center" more.  It's an even bigger "SCREW YOU!"
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:21:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
One World Trade Center

Yeah, what a name.

How many worlds are there?

There's only one earth.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:32:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Just get the damn thing built already.

Exactly.

Does it really matter what it's called? I think freedom tower sounds stupid anyway. The real question is why is it taking them so fucking long to build something there?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:37:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

One World Trade Center

Yeah, what a name.

That's the street address. The original buildings were also named One World Trade Center and Two World Trade Center. You using Reynolds wrap?

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:41:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
One World Trade Center

Yeah, what a name.

That's the street address. The original buildings were also named One World Trade Center and Two World Trade Center. You using Reynolds wrap?

Yeah, how convenient.
I guess New World Order Tower must have been taken.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:01:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One World Trade Center

Yeah, what a name.

Yeah, how convenient.

I guess New World Order Tower must have been taken.

how old are you? the World Trade Center was called World Trade Center for over 30 years.

lay off the tin foil man, you could poison your blood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top