Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/7/2002 9:54:56 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/7/2002 3:23:03 PM EST by bigyeti]
I heard an announcement at the Phx Gun Show yesterday, saying that Senator McCain was introducing legislation that if passed would effectively cause the end to Az gun shows and ultimatly all gun shows nationwide... This announcement was made by the Crossroads people... Anyone have more info on this to share ...
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:03:28 AM EST
I heard it as well I thought when they made the announcement, because of the over dramatizing that they were going to say there was another terrorist attack on the United States. I don't know much about the topic other than I hope it fails, and it sucks, AZ gun shows are like a swap meet for gun enthusiast every thing you want except A VEPR AK in 5.45x39.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:07:13 AM EST
[url]http://www.nraila.org/LegislativeUpdate.asp?FormMode=Detail&ID=420[/url] and also [url]http://www.nraila.org/LegislativeUpdate.asp?FormMode=Detail&ID=407[/url].I guess its true, found it on NRA website.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 10:22:02 AM EST
Graffiti! Thanks for the links... I just E-Mailed McCain and advised him the he was booed at the Gun show yesterday and asked that he reconsider his support of this bill and Hillary Clinton if he really wished to stay in Arizona politics...[stick]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 11:11:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/7/2002 11:15:38 AM EST by tinkeroni]
I wrote my comments to the Senator. Suggested he move to NY with Hillary. [url]http://www.capwiz.com/nra/bio/?id=192&submit.x=10&submit.y=14[/url]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 12:08:31 PM EST
I'm sorry for you AZ residents....
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 12:11:35 PM EST
If it happens here, It'll happen everywhere... Hillary is in on it... The B1TCH...
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 12:14:44 PM EST
Kaliburz, I don't think you understand. If this McCain bill passes, it's the end of all gun shows everywhere, not just AZ. McCain has become such a Rhino in the last five years. He needs to be voted out. We had a recall going when 911 happened and they stopped it out of "patriotism" and "unity". We should have kept it going. McCain is the most unamerican person I can think of.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 1:00:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By thewizardofaz: Kaliburz, I don't think you understand. If this McCain bill passes, it's the end of all gun shows everywhere, not just AZ. McCain has become such a Rhino in the last five years. He needs to be voted out. We had a recall going when 911 happened and they stopped it out of "patriotism" and "unity". We should have kept it going. McCain is the most unamerican person I can think of.
View Quote
Opps........ I must only read the 'AZ gunshows' part and skipped the nationwide thing. I forgot..... he a "U.S Senator".... I was thinking state.... Now that that is straightened out.... [B] AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!­!!!!!!!!![/B] Well, I can't help you since my state (WA) has to Democrats in office. I didn't vote for them..... Damn no go good fornothing........ I'm gonna have to talk to someone.......
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 1:19:35 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/7/2002 1:22:11 PM EST by Kaliburz]
Here's some text of it..... S.890 right from the [url]www.Senate.gov [/url] website. Enter S 890 under by number box. Looks like it has two parts S890 :Gun Show Loophole Closing and Gun Law Enforcement Act of 2001 (Introduced in Senate) Major parts SEC. 206. SMART GUN TECHNOLOGY. There are authorized to be appropriated $10,000,000 for fiscal year 2002 to the National Institute for Justice for the purpose of making grants to research entities developing technologies that limit the use of a gun to the owner. [b] STATUS: (color indicates Senate actions) 5/15/2001: Read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary. (text of measure as introduced: CR S4954-4956) [/b] Right from the senate website. Edit Found this also...a quick blurb.... Gun Show Loophole Closing Act of 2001 - Amends the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to provide for regulation of firearms transfers at special firearms events (events at which 75 or more firearms are offered or exhibited for sale or exchange if one or more of the firearms has been shipped or transported in, or otherwise affects, interstate or foreign commerce, with an exception).
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 2:48:00 PM EST
He is a US senator not a AZ senator, so his bill would ban gunshows everywhere. It has been in the senate for a while now and hasn't gone anywhere. And the House will never consider it..
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 2:58:56 PM EST
John McCain = Insignificant Jay [img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 3:24:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By AZCOP: John McCain = Insignificant Jay [img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
View Quote
Maybe.. He's got his head up Hillary's arse. probably wants to be her VP running mate...
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 2:26:07 PM EST
I wrote all my reps, Jim Kolbe sent the following "Thank you for contacting me about the Gun Show Loophole Closing and Gun Law Enforcement Act (S 890). I appreciate hearing from you. The Second Amendment of the Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." I believe this provision should be read as a prohibition against the federal government denying citizens the right to bear arms. The Constitution says we cannot prohibit gun ownership, and furthermore I have seen no evidence that demonstrates the effectiveness of gun control. In fact, many areas of the country that have the strictest gun control measures, such as Washington, D.C. and New York City, also have some of the highest levels of violent crime. The vast majority of violent crimes are committed with weapons obtained illegally and will not be prevented by any form of gun control. As a result, gun control laws regulate the behavior of law-abiding gun owners and have no real impact on criminals. That's why I support measures in Congress to battle crime. We need a zero-tolerance standard for violent crime in this country. Criminals need to understand that zero-tolerance means long prison sentences, restrictions on endless appeals based on technicalities, and more flexibility for law enforcement officials to develop cases. A violent criminal should know that if his actions take the life of another, especially the life of an innocent bystander -- a child, a pedestrian, a motorist going to work -- then he's going to suffer the death penalty or go to prison for life. On May 15, 2001, Senator McCain introduced S 890 to require criminal background checks on all firearms transactions occurring at gun shows. If there is no response from the instant check system within three business days, then the sale could proceed. Also under this bill, a gun show is defined as any event at which 75 or more firearms are offered for sale. However, as long as someone does not require a federal license to sell firearms and is selling a firearm from their personal collection at their private residence, a background check is not required. I disagree with the provision of the McCain bill requiring a long waiting period for completing the background check. I have voted to require instant background checks at gun shows for all transactions so that criminals cannot purchase a firearm at these events, but I believe a twenty-four hour period is a sufficient time to complete the check. Almost 95 percent are completed within 2 hours. In addition, we need to improve the timeliness of this check by requiring that a background check be given priority over other inquiries. Again, thank you for contacting me about this matter. These issues are personally very important to me, as I know they are for you. Sincerely, Jim Kolbe Member of Congress" This guy has my vote, I don't give a damn about his sexual preference!
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 2:34:03 PM EST
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 2:36:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By shotar: Is this a new bill or the same old news thats dead in committee. I also thought mcain announced that he was not seeking reelection and wanted to leave public office.
View Quote
Think he realized he lost favor with a certain group of relatively conservative gun enthusiasts who feel like he sold them out?
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 2:55:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By az_larry: I wrote all my reps, Jim Kolbe sent the following "...I have voted to require instant background checks at gun shows for[b][red]all[/red][/b] transactions so that criminals cannot purchase a firearm at these events, but I believe a twenty-four hour period is a sufficient time to complete the check. Almost 95 percent are completed within 2 hours... Sincerely, Jim Kolbe Member of Congress" This guy has my vote, I don't give a damn about his sexual preference!
View Quote
So according to Kyle, I should be able to sell my gun at a garage sale or by advertising in papers, but I can't sell my gun at a gunshow without an FFL doing a background check??? What's the purpose of this except to get one step closer to totally shutting down ALL private transfers of guns?
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 3:56:38 PM EST
I guess coming from a dealers perspective it sounds ok, since the NICS check has never taken me more than about 2 minutes not 2 hours. At least he voted against Mcpain. And at shows, the dealers have to do the check anyway. I do see your point though. I just was glad he responded and voted against the bill.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 9:56:24 PM EST
I'VE BEEN TRYING TO GET RID OF THIS JERK SINCE HE GOT ELECTED AND TURNED TRAITOR TO THE PEOPLE OF ARIZONA.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 12:03:45 AM EST
"What's the purpose of this except to get one step closer to totally shutting down ALL private transfers of guns?" That IS the purpose of the gunshow bills... to be an end run, to require universal registration, so that ALL transfers are known to the government, to outlaw private transfers. They don't care about terrorists or criminals getting guns. They want to stop the sheeple from getting guns. And eventually, they want to seize all guns. They want a list, go knocking on doors, just as the Nazis did in Europe. Gun registration lists were used to locate privately owned guns. It is NOT crime control, it is control of YOU.
Top Top