Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2002 1:35:18 PM EDT
Here are two letters to the editor........have I missed something?
[url]http://www.roanoke.com/roatimes/news/story125026.html[/url]
[url]http://www.roanoke.com/roatimes/news/story125027.html[/url]
Talk about a mugging waiting to happen if the mall is considered to be "gun free"

I hate people who own guns solely for hunting and look down their noses at those of us who have guns for other reasons
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Please forward this to:

http://www.vcdl.org/

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Same with the Mansassas Mall. I sent a letter to VCDL last year. They ignored it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Well looks like I have been breaking the law

[url]http://www.vcdl.org/gue.html[/url]

Attention all VA members, do not shop at Valley View Mall!

Send them an email!!!!

[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#4]
You dont need to take agun into teh mall-why wuold you? That's what Mall Security is for-we're trained to hadnle all kind of situations and are very well armed. If I caught you carrying a gun in to my mall when the sign forbids it, you would wish you nver had and had just trsuted the proferssionals to do their job.

Gecko45
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If I'm remembering my CCW class correctly, they can't arrest you for carrying somewhere it says not to.  All that can happen is that the owners of the place can ask you leave, and if you refuse to then you're guilty of tresspassing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If I'm remembering my CCW class correctly, they can't arrest you for carrying somewhere it says not to.  All that can happen is that the owners of the place can ask you leave, and if you refuse to then you're guilty of tresspassing.
View Quote

Officailly yes-

However, we guards take security very serious since 9/11, and we might have to unofficially make you sorry you din't decide to play by the rules of teh mall.

Link Posted: 1/29/2002 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh Gecko, you made me blow snot out my nose.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Gecko,    Are you LaFours??

Who is LaFours you ask? Only the most feared security guard in the business, 416 collars,  ALL convicted.

[moon]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Gecko,    Are you LaFours??

Who is LaFours you ask? Only the most feared security guard in the business, 416 collars,  ALL convicted.

[moon]
View Quote

I cannot discuss my identity-to do so would be to violate my standing contract with the Agency.

Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#10]
You guys worry too much, I know for a fact that mall security guards carry HK G36K's. They carry them in that little golf cart they have. In addition, they are all trained Snipers and most are fully qulified in CQB. Two of the guards are actual ninjas, hired to deal with hand to hand combat.

If you look at the rooftops, there are always at  least two snipers up there; and from what I hear they both have HK PSG1's. They deal strickly with parking lot security.

So, you all have no reason not to feel safe while at the mall...so relax.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#11]
OMG! Is Gecko LaFours? If so, can I have your autograph? Oh, also, could you sent little Trish over? I have a few things for her study.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:47:13 PM EDT
[#12]
The mall security here is most likely the biggest joke in the "industry". They pretend to be Marines and bother all the patrons with their "gung ho" attitudes.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The mall security here is most likely the biggest joke in the "industry". They pretend to be Marines and bother all the patrons with their "gung ho" attitudes.
View Quote

I duobt that youd say that to thier face-a little scarey to do so, eh? You are just jealous-that's where a lot of the good CIII gear and traininng goes in the rtail securtiy industry.

Also, if the attitude bothers you, leave. Just go aaway-you can'rt expect tactical operators like us to be lax sso you can fell hapy. Deal with it, we have serious important job to do, and you're not going to stop militant terorist exteemistswith whining, kid.

Link Posted: 1/29/2002 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I duobt that youd say that to thier face-a little scarey to do so, eh? You are just jealous-that's where a lot of the good CIII gear and traininng goes in the rtail securtiy industry.

Also, if the attitude bothers you, leave. Just go aaway-you can'rt expect tactical operators like us to be lax sso you can fell hapy. Deal with it, we have serious important job to do, and you're not going to stop militant terorist exteemistswith whining, kid.
View Quote

Naw, I enjoy making fun of them to their faces. They're far too wrapped up in fantasy to do anything in reality. Heck, just the other day I witnessed a sales associate from Old Navy make one of them run to their little golf cart crying!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OMG! Is Gecko LaFours? If so, can I have your autograph? Oh, also, could you sent little Trish over? I have a few things for her study.
View Quote

Ok, now I am tired of tihs.

Who is LaFours? Will you explain this please?

Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:16:17 PM EDT
[#16]
[b] we might have to unofficially make you sorry you din't decide to play by the rules of teh mall[/b]

Very foolish statement.  (a) it shows a propensity by security staff to break the law and (b) it shows that security is brazen enough to publish their intentions to act beyond the scope of their duties.  

Can't discuss your identity, b/c it violates a contract; but you can discuss taking the law into your own hands, huh.

A piece of advice from a career LEO with extensive executive experience conducting and then supervising internal corruption investigations.  Geko: you are there to ensure orderly conduct and not to mete out your personal version of street justice.  If the law requires you to request a ccw holder to leave the mall that is what you do and nothing further.  When you start taking your job personally or believe that you are in the position to punish others beyond your authority, you are a liability to yourself, your employers and to the public.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Officailly yes-

However, we guards take security very serious since 9/11, and we might have to unofficially make you sorry you din't decide to play by the rules of teh mall.

View Quote

Geeko45, you can't be serious. [whacko]

I was at the mall the other day and 3 security guards were trying to deal with a teenager. Seems he was writing his name in wet paint. They got all over him and he finally reached into his pocket and pulls out a quarter and says 'here's a quarter for the paint'. Man it was funny.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
[b] we might have to unofficially make you sorry you din't decide to play by the rules of teh mall[/b]

Very foolish statement.  (a) it shows a propensity by security staff to break the law and (b) it shows that security is brazen enough to publish their intentions to act beyond the scope of their duties.  

Can't discuss your identity, b/c it violates a contract; but you can discuss taking the law into your own hands, huh.

A piece of advice from a career LEO with extensive executive experience conducting and then supervising internal corruption investigations.  Geko: you are there to ensure orderly conduct and not to mete out your personal version of street justice.  If the law requires you to request a ccw holder to leave the mall that is what you do and nothing further.  When you start taking your job personally or believe that you are in the position to punish others beyond your authority, you are a liability to yourself, your employers and to the public.
View Quote

I can answer all of tehse-

My orders go farther than you would expect in this dangearous new era-I will, if neccesary punish other who break the mall rules, because this is not beyond my authority, and yes, my job is personel. I take each and every offense personely, from shoplifting, to waepons offneces, to shoving senior citizeins-I cannot abide any of these, and make sure that the offendar will not, or can not make a repete offence.

As for being a liability, better I take a strong hand with these no-ggoders than a terrorist go on a mad rampag through my mall, wich is my repsoibility. Who are you to tell me what and how to do my job? I am also of a militarey and an LE background, and know my shit. The law doesnt maen anything when lead starts flying in your mall-you will be glad if you took preemptiv action to pervent it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I am writing in response to the letters from the readers concerned with gun owners "packing heat" at the mall.  Lately, I have noticed several negative views on gun ownership and the state granted right to carry concealed weapons.  I would like to address the authors of these letters being one of those they would like to ostracize from "their" shopping centers.

In Ms. Moore's letter "Gun rights are fine, but not at the mall," she states,"idiots hide behind that as their right to carry a sawed-off shotgun to the 7-Eleven."  I don't think you and I live on the same planet.  Do you realize those of us who are licensed, responsible CHL (that's concealed handgun liscence for those who don't know) holders are finger printed, background checked, responsible individuals?  We have gone out of our way to legally possess the means to defend ourselves and our loved ones from those who might choose to do us harm.  We don't carry a "sawed-off shotgun" nor would you know if we did.  We are the quiet folks who don't make trouble and, honestly, my own wife doesn't know if I'm carrying half the time.  If you fear us to share the same shopping center as yourself, I berate you because chances are you couldn't tell if the person next to you is armed legally or not.  I may sound indignant in saying so, but you should honestly be relieved to know that some of us "gun nuts" are out there.  Reason being, if you believe we are present, so does the "less than honorable" crowd.  Just as your fear of attack may keep you from walking alone at night, their fear of an armed victim may protect us all.  I will continue to shop at Valley View Mall in hopes that they will see the error of their ways, just as I will continue to carry my concealed firearm in accordance with the right granted me by the state of Virginia.

In response to Bob Craig's letter "Gun enthusiasts, update your thinking," sir, you should do a little more research before espousing your learned opinion.  The armed individual who callously struck down the staff at the Appalachian School of Law in Grundy, Virginia was apprehended by private citizens who were armed and forced him to surrender his gun before they tackled the illegally armed assailant.  Perhaps if someone nearer the scene had been armed, this tragedy may have been averted.  To provide a short, educational answer to your question,"how can an individual who harbors such an irrational fear of the public ever feel comfortable leaving home?," I find myself neither fearful nor uncomfortable leaving my home, yet I almost always carry my concealed handgun.  I explain this action to my wife as " I would rather carry it and hope to never need it, than find myself in need of it and realize I left it at home."  Liken it if you will to a spare tire in your car:  chances are you will never need such an item, yet you wouldn't leave home without it.

Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I wish there was tougher enforcement of the rules at my mall.  I saw some kids put their hands in the water of the fountain, and the guards just told them to stop, they didn't beat them or anything!!  They should have, as an example to others.  Andyou should see where people put their trash!! It's left out on the tables, and not anywhere near the cans.  I was so upset, and the guards just ignored it!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I am one of those you fear. Perhaps you should see who I am in the context of my daily life.  I am a college educated, respectable, loving husband and father who has thought enough of his family to provide the means for their defense should the need ever arise.  Chances are I will never need to draw my weapon and you will never know who I am or if I am armed.  But, that belief that I may be nearby will comfort my loved ones, needlessly worry people such as yourselves, and give those unsavory elements of society reason to think again before inflicting harm.  With that knowledge, I will sleep well tonight.  

Gxxxxx Mxxxxxx
Roanoke, VA 24018
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#22]
[b]As for being a liability, better I take a strong hand with these no-ggoders than a terrorist go on a mad rampag through my mall, wich is my repsoibility. Who are you to tell me what and how to do my job? I am also of a militarey and an LE background, and know my shit. The law doesnt maen anything when lead starts flying in your mall-you will be glad if you took preemptiv action to pervent it. [/b]

It seems, sadly, that you do not understand your job.  It is not "your mall" and the coorporation which runs it promulgates rules like forbiding ccw at the advice of its attorneys when assessing civil liability.  Let me put it simply, they don't really care about ccw, but are hedging against the unlikely event a ccw holder acting intentionally or otherwise causes injury and they become impleaded in a civil suit.  They can now say that the injuring party was acting in violation of mall protocol and they (the mall corporate owners) are not responsible for the actions.

Terrorists?? lead flying??  what planet are you from?  The corporation does not want proactive wannabes seeking to take "preemptiv" illegal and, possibly, injurious pernicious actions.  I am quite confident of two things: (1) that if your  supervisor (or more probably your supervisor's supervisor) read your statements here, you would be unemployed tomarrow and (2) that you have neither LE or military experience.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
[b]As for being a liability, better I take a strong hand with these no-ggoders than a terrorist go on a mad rampag through my mall, wich is my repsoibility. Who are you to tell me what and how to do my job? I am also of a militarey and an LE background, and know my shit. The law doesnt maen anything when lead starts flying in your mall-you will be glad if you took preemptiv action to pervent it. [/b]

It seems, sadly, that you do not understand your job.  It is not "your mall" and the coorporation which runs it promulgates rules like forbiding ccw at the advice of its attorneys when assessing civil liability.  Let me put it simply, they don't really care about ccw, but are hedging against the unlikely event a ccw holder acting intentionally or otherwise causes injury and they become impleaded in a civil suit.  They can now say that the injuring party was acting in violation of mall protocol and they (the mall corporate owners) are not responsible for the actions.

Terrorists?? lead flying??  what planet are you from?  The corporation does not want proactive wannabes seeking to take "preemptiv" illegal and, possibly, injurious pernicious actions.  I am quite confident of two things: (1) that if your  supervisor (or more probably your supervisor's supervisor) read your statements here, you would be unemployed tomarrow and (2) that you have neither LE or military experience.
View Quote

Blah blah blah blah blah...all the complints I here sounds the same, because no one understand the true workings of this system.

Suffice to say-

1. My supervisors superrvisor doesn't work for the mall directly-nor do I. We work [i]in[/i] teh mall-get it? Whatever we do is covered by our superoir officers-and that's a lot-even to the point of meidia blackouts and witnes buyoffs to keep the pease.

2. Soundfs like you never were in SpecOps and you wouldn't know a man who kills profesionaly if he kicked yuo in teh ass-wich I coud see hapinning, considaring yuor attitude. Try wokring the parking lot of a mall in teh dead of winter for 10 hours-and bening the only precisoin rifleman there, becuase of buget cuts from teh REMFs. You don't know me or the hell of my job.

Terorist attacks and gunfihgts, as well as bomb smuggling, shoplifting and napkin stealing are all insidoius activities that must be hallted at all costs-I will be ready, and I will make teh frist move to prevent these crimes.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Napkin stealing!

Oh my God, that heinous.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Napkin stealing!

Oh my God, that heinous.
View Quote

Sotlen nnapkins cost the concesions over $10,000 yearly-wjhy do you think tey want me to stop it.?  Besaides, that money saved can be routted into more worthwhile areas-like  increased security levels-just like teh money saved on stoping shoplifters makes teh merchants glad wee are here.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#26]
[b]Try wokring the parking lot of a mall in teh dead of winter for 10 hours-and bening the only precisoin rifleman there, becuase of buget cuts from teh REMFs. You don't know me or the hell of my job.

Terorist attacks and gunfihgts, as well as bomb smuggling, shoplifting and napkin stealing are all insidoius activities that must be hallted at all costs-I will be ready, and I will make teh frist move to prevent these crimes. [/b]

Ok, I get it.  you're actually delusional.  Too much inbreeding affected not only your ability to spell, but to distiguish fact from fantasy?  In any event, the chance of having a polemical, meaningful or merely even a ratonal discussion is nonexistent.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#27]
To All Readers of this thread: Fooled me once...If you are interested in Gecko45 go here:

http://www.geocities.com/suketh.geo/gun/mall_ninja.html
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#28]
go Gecko!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#29]
(wiping tears from my eyes)

Oh my.  That was one of the funniest exchanges I've read in a long time.

It got funnier after I realised that Robertesq  was serious.

lolol
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm just happy to know that [b]THE[/b] Geordie LaFours is a member of this fine web board! It warms my heart to know such a fine professional is among our ranks to give us all valuable insights into the world of mall security.

Bravo Gecko! Bravo!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#32]
must be a gun board [newbie]

[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#33]
He must be out practicing in case some armed terrorists rope in and steal some mustard from the hotdog carts.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Hee hee!  You actually used the words "mete" "pernicious" and "polemical" on a gun board!

Cool!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:16:17 AM EDT
[#35]
This is a fricken riot! [:D]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:32:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Gecko strikes again!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:44:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Napkin stealing!

Oh my God, that heinous.
View Quote

Sotlen nnapkins cost the concesions over $10,000 yearly-wjhy do you think tey want me to stop it.?  Besaides, that money saved can be routted into more worthwhile areas-like  increased security levels-just like teh money saved on stoping shoplifters makes teh merchants glad wee are here.
View Quote

Perhaps if they were not losing the $10,000 a year to napkins thieves, they could afford to hire security guards that could pass a 4th grade spelling test.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:35:31 AM EDT
[#38]
My keyboard is wet with tears, I am laughing so hard....go Gecko!

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Here is a quote from the first article.

I'm all in favor of anyone's right to bear arms, but it really upsets me when idiots hide behind that as their right to carry a sawed-off shotgun to the 7-Eleven.
View Quote

Fucking Moron!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Alright, alright, stop laughing, Huh, um, er... he didn't really get me.

Picking on us innocent newbies is funny until someone loses an eye.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top