Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2003 3:12:34 PM EDT
[url]http://canada.com/national/story.asp?id=0E72B840-DBC3-4A6A-992D-E1F03CF14F10[/url]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#1]
This case was about the criminalization of human error in a war zone.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#2]
The details as I understand them are a little different than "human error in a combat zone".

The pilot was ordered to hold off after he reported taking small arms fire but he rolled in hot anyway after the order. Shortly after he dropped the bomb(s) he was told they were friendlies and not shooting at him.
Pilot Maj. Harry Schmidt, the so-called flight-lead, told investigators he thought the flashes were from surface-to-air missiles being fired at the jets.

Despite being denied permission to fire, Schmidt dropped his bomb on the Canadians anyway. Shortly before he fired, an AWACS surveillance aircraft alerted the pilot that "potential friendlies were in the area."

In such a scenario, U.S. procedure dictates a fighter pilot leave the area to assess the threat before opening fire. Neither Schmidt nor his wingman Maj. William Umbach did so and instead rushed to attack.

View Quote

[url]http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1025252854540_265/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw that last night. That's pretty weak. The pilots don't get courts martial, don't even lose the wings for directly [b]violating orders they was given[/b] and killing 4 fellow soldiers. They were told to not engage and to leave the area- but rambo-boy says " I'm going in!!!"
After the attack, we heard " I hope we did the right thing"
It seems to more of the 'high and mighty' being protected from their own fuck ups. Disgraceful. They don't even have the balls to resign.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top