Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2001 4:18:43 PM EDT
I've seen what happens when you ask about FA gun conversions around here, so I just wanted to make that clear.

So what do I have to do to one of the $269.00 M16 kits from TAPCO to make it legal (besides get a lower, that is...)

Do I need new fire control parts?

Do I need a new bolt & carrier?

What do I gotta do?

It looks like if I can use the bolt and carrier that comes with it, you could build an AR for about $450 with shipping!

(Okay, now I'm waiting for my bubble to be burst)

[url]http://www.tapco.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=M160200&variation=&aitem=5&mitem=12&back=yes[/url]

PS: Thanks in advance for your help, I want another evil black rifle so bad I can taste it, and if this works, I can finally afford another one!!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a pre ban lower... you just need semi auto fire controle parts.

If you have a post ban, you need to remove the bayo llug and have a break perm. attached to the threeaded barrel.

oh yeh and the crrier has to go unless you can modify it yourself.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Go look in the "Build It Yourself" forum for the TapCo thread (three pages and growing).
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks,

Forgot about the bayo lug and evil sniper-clock-tower-shooter-style flash hider.

God, those people in Washington are idiots.

I've read about the carrier. Some kind of "protrusion" underneath that can be Dremelled (wheeeeeeee) off. Is there a way to screw this particular modification up? And is it REALLY important with the semi only fire control parts? (I only ask because I seem to remember some controversy about this)

~ ~ ~ Good call Achmed, sorry I didn't think to look there first! ~ ~ ~
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you gonnal make it full auto? [:D]

[i]I am sorry, but someone was going to do it, so it might as well have been me. [;)][/i]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I posted an FA question and got blasted about NFA, etc. But, from what I understand the ATF takes a dim view of FA Parts.

But, I also understand you can have as many FA parts as you like in your gun as long as they don't make it fire full auto.

The main problem is you CANNOT have an Auto Sear anywhere within a million miles of that gun. If you did, the ATF could bust you for intent to manufacture.

Also, there is some issue involving Sear Holes. If It has an Auto Sear Hole you may need to fill it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 7:58:46 PM EDT
[#6]
ATF has ruled that if you have even ONE M16 part in your semi-auto AR15, you have the equivalent of a machinegun.  Even if you have no auto-sear, they don't care.  No, it doesn' t make sense, but that's the rule.  You can alter those M16 internals so that they will not function in the full-auto mode and then use them legally.  If you're going to modify the M16 bolt carrier, I'd have a machinist do that rather than try it with a dremel.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Heres what I would do

Get the kit for 269.99
sell the FA parts for $100
[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1020867077[/url]
buy a semi kit from Model 1 with new parts for $52

thats about 220 w/o shiping plus a striped lower, a mod to the carrier, and removing the flash hider and bayo lug.

Probobly a desent rifle for about $400
What would it be worth used?

Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:36:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I just looked. $125, currently for an FA Bolt Carrier, $150 for an FA Lower Parts Kit. Subtract $275 from a $269 Parts Kit and you get -$6. Now add a semi Bolt Carrier for $113 and it goes to $107. Add a Semi Lower Parts Kit for $58 and it goes to $165. Add a lower Receiver for around $100 and you have a $265 AR-15.

Damn, and to think I was considering getting an AK-47 for about that price.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just looked. $125, currently for an FA Bolt Carrier, $150 for an FA Lower Parts Kit. Subtract $275 from a $269 Parts Kit and you get -$6. Now add a semi Bolt Carrier for $113 and it goes to $107. Add a Semi Lower Parts Kit for $58 and it goes to $165. Add a lower Receiver for around $100 and you have a $265 AR-15.

Damn, and to think I was considering getting an AK-47 for about that price.
View Quote

You and Zip might just go down as AR15.com legends!
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#10]
"from what I understand the ATF takes a dim view of FA Parts."

The ATF take a dim view of every thing man!

Go to the ATF web site(do a search,I don't have it)and read all you can.
The hole damn site is in Greek but I have found it's the best way to keep your house from being set on fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top