Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2005 8:08:02 AM EDT
Got a question for y'all and I'm not trying to stir up the pot.  I'm just curious...maybe someone from the USSS might have an answer.

But I've noticed in some pictures and video clips of President Bush giving a speech with a backdrop of uniformed police officers, the officers are sans their Sam Brownes and sidearms.  What gives?  In my department, we'd be considered 'out of uniform'.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#1]
When he was here not too long ago he did a speach at the OSP academy and a troop I know got invited down.  He told me they had to remove EVERYTHING From their belt.  The kept the sam brown on, but it was Sans all equipment.  retarded.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Was it the USSS that made him do it or was it his chain-of-command?

I'm trying not to interject my personal feelings on this, just looking from a professional point-of-view.

I once was ordered to go be part of a contingient of uniformed officers to stand behind our then governor when she vetoed the CHL law at a press conference.  Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#3]
CJ--

As insulting as it is, it's us.  It's a decision made much higher than me and way before I got here.

Steve
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:00:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Brother Steve, thanks for the reply.  It does kind of stink and it leaves a lot to speculation...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#5]
He visited our area sveral times after Hurricane Ivan. As far as I know everyone was allowed to have their sidearms. I think the only restrictions were that no one was allowed a scoped weapon (maybe SWAT was but I am not 100% sure on that).
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay, guys; I got my answer, we may be getting dangerously close to revealing OPSEC and I don't want to be the one who started the problem...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I kept my weapon.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#9]
When he did another speach though I was deployed with our SWAT unit as a sniper in a position.  We were not let near the POTUS though as they had their own people.  They put us on a FAR out perimeter.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:38:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been on three presidential visit details and shook hands with all of them except for Clinton.   No one ever mentioned being disarmed.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:15:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Saw George Sr. when I worked at SHSU in TX. I was on the PD and working a door at the Building he was having a little get together at before speaking at a commencement ceremony. He walked within two feet of me. I was fully armed and equiped and no-one said a word about our gear.

I do remember this little latin hottie he had on his detail though. She was put together wuite well.

The Lincoln Navigators were well sorted out to.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Not OPSEC, just common sense - the greater access you have, the greater the restrictions placed on you.

Far as different agencies getting/not getting to be armed when you are close, I'm guessing that has a lot to do with the individual agencies' vetting process and their relationship with the USSS. I did a couple of details, with different agencies. The first was a Presidential one, and we were given make-work to do. The other was with another agency as EOD support, and were VERY close to the VP.

Also, from another angle, I am betting it depends on the photo op, too.

-Shawn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top