Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2001 6:38:25 PM EDT
Looking at RRA site I noticed that they don't use chromed barrels on any of their rifles or barreled uppers.  

I can understand non-chromed barrels on target or varmint rifles to maximize accuracy but I would think everybody would want chromed barrels on carbines.  Even the AR15.com Limited Edition rifle has non-chromed barrel.

Anybody know why this is?  
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#1]
You may want the crome in the barrel. I do believe they are crome molly barrels though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Cost.

Some will argue accuracy, but cost is a big issue.

The chromoly steel Rock River uses suffices for most shooter's purposes, may hold an edge in accuracy and is less costly.

If this is a deciding factor for you in purchasing an LEGP, Garryowen will swap it for a Bushmaster chromelined (bore and chamber) barrel for $100, I believe.  It's a good deal.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually I already ordered a LEGP (190's) and plan on shooting it a lot but I was just curious.  I also have other AR rifles (BM) and they all have chromed barrels which I like because they are easier and faster to clean.  

How much could RRA save by using non-chromed barrel?  Few ($5 ?) bucks at most I would think.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 5:45:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Many people want the accuracy edge. I do. The chrome lining is not a factor in my descision.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 5:57:52 AM EDT
[#5]
How many other mfgrs offer chrome lined barrels?
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Really, the main reason is Bushmaster had no interest in doing a LEGP for AR15.com.  As for Colt, you know they wouldn't do it nor would I want one.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#7]
OLY doesn't chrome
Bushmaster (i think) all chrome
Armalite depends on the rifle

Most AR's will be chrome (MIL-SPEC)

I kinda think of it like this

STEEL-good cheap barrel good as a "bullet hose" may not be as easy to clean/last as long as chrome

CHROME more expensive but easier to clean and very long lasting, also MIL-SPEC if that matters

STAINLESS STEEL most expensive easy to clean but not as long lasting as chrome lined. More accurate than chrome lined however.

My opinion, You may not agree, Hell I may just be wrong.

(I have an OLY......yes i know.... they sell stainless barrels for $35.00-$45.00 over their steel barrel cost. I have a stainless M4gery barrel).

[bounce] [:)]

Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep, the chrome-moly bbl's are just cheaper and slightly more accurate.  Chrome is easier to clean, longer lasting, and more expensive.  It is just a matter of taste on these.  Personally I go for the chrome.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#11]
What is the deadline on the LEGP rifle?
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I didn't know that Bushmaster's DCM was not chromed, their website says chrome barrels.... there is always an exception.

I think I got Armalite right, they have chrome moly, chrome lined and, stainless steel listed.

I wasn't aware of Colt's current practices.

I think the main point I was trying to make is that the different barrel types have different good points and bad points. There is no magic barrel, but you should buy a barrel that is compatible with your needs/usage.

[:)]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#13]
A chrome lined barrel would be most advantageous for use during adverse conditions while performing militia operations in defense of the Constitution and Bill of Rights.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Darin said, "Yep, the chrome-moly bbl's are just cheaper and slightly more accurate. Chrome is easier to clean, longer lasting, and more expensive. It is just a matter of taste on these. Personally I go for the chrome."

If you put a 20" chrome lined HBAR AR-15 on the bench next to a non-chrome lined 4140 HBAR AR-15
and shot targets at 100 yrds, what difference in groups would you see (same person using both rifles)?
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Depends on the quality of the barrels.

A good chromelined barrel will outshoot a bad chromoly barrel.

All things being equal, the chromoly barrel should be better.

Given we had a guy shoot 1/2 MOA at 100 yards with factory ammo from the bench using a standard chromelined Bushmaster, I'd say that's pretty darn good.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 11:35:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:03:17 PM EDT
[#17]
And the break in procedures are quite different, I've heard, between the two, favoring the chrome lined barrel.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I believe I got an email from GaryOwen saying the price of an exchange to a chrome barrel was $180,Which I thought was sort of shockingly high
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:10:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What is the deadline on the LEGP rifle?
View Quote

We plan on keeping the sale open for 30 days after edition #200 is shipped.  Best guess for that date right now would be about 2 weeks from now.  That would put the LEGP ending after July 4th.

Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Regarding chromed barrells: If you put a lot of rounds through your "chromed" barrell, after awhile the chrome will begin to flake off. It may be easier to clean but that is a trade-off, in my opinion, for accuracy. I would not make too much of "chromed" Barrells unless you plan on alot of jungle time and not regular cleaning. Actually, chromolly may be better.

Just another opinion.

SNB
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:(:
I didn't know that Bushmaster's DCM was not chromed, their website says chrome barrels.... there is always an exception.

I think I got Armalite right, they have chrome moly, chrome lined and, stainless steel listed.

I wasn't aware of Colt's current practices.

I think the main point I was trying to make is that the different barrel types have different good points and bad points. There is no magic barrel, but you should buy a barrel that is compatible with your needs/usage.

[:)]
View Quote

Colt discontinued the chrome barrells in their commercial rifles after 1998.

Just FYI
SNB
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Regarding chromed barrells: If you put a lot of rounds through your "chromed" barrell, after awhile the chrome will begin to flake off. It may be easier to clean but that is a trade-off, in my opinion, for accuracy. I would not make too much of "chromed" Barrells unless you plan on alot of jungle time and not regular cleaning. Actually, chromolly may be better.

Just another opinion.

SNB
View Quote

Only if the chrome process wasn't done right.  Chrome lined barrels last longer than unlined barrels, and easier to clean, and are corrosion resistant (nice if you live near the ocean, or in a humid part of the country).  Chrome only has 2 disadvantages over chrome/moly  Cost & loss of some accuracy (assuming a chrome/moly of equivalent quality).  As was pointed out above, unless you are using a scope, from a stabil shooting platform, you likely won't be able to tell the difference accuracy wise.
View Quote

Point well taken.

SNB
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#24]
cpermd wrote:  
I believe I got an email from GaryOwen saying the price of an exchange to a chrome barrel was $180,Which I thought was sort of shockingly high
View Quote

[size=3]NO, NO, NO.  It's only $100 to have Garryowen [i]swap[/i] for a Bushmaster M4 barrel.   The $170 price is for both barrels.

Check out [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=10183[/url]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, what I'm doing IS trying to be more accurate.  In other words, quality of shot rather than quantity of shots.  Free floated barrel and scope are my setup.  

I'd better stick with the chrome/moly barrel and just suffer through the tedious break in procedure.  *BLAH*
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Whats all this talk about break in procedure?  I just shoot all my rifles chrome or no chrome barrel and at the end of the day I just clean it with solvent and run some dry patches.

When I got my Sako I took it out after running some patches through the barrel and shot 60 rounds and then another 40 rounds next day before the first cleaning.  Now, about 1,500 rounds later it will still shoot less than 1/2" group.      

Personally I think all this break in procedure this is just a pile of BS.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2001 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well, what I'm doing IS trying to be more accurate.  In other words, quality of shot rather than quantity of shots.  Free floated barrel and scope are my setup.  

I'd better stick with the chrome/moly barrel and just suffer through the tedious break in procedure.  *BLAH*
View Quote

Go with stainless steel.
Scott
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 1:18:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Darin said, "Yep, the chrome-moly bbl's are just cheaper and slightly more accurate. Chrome is easier to clean, longer lasting, and more expensive. It is just a matter of taste on these. Personally I go for the chrome."

If you put a 20" chrome lined HBAR AR-15 on the bench next to a non-chrome lined 4140 HBAR AR-15
and shot targets at 100 yrds, what difference in groups would you see (same person using both rifles)?
View Quote

Not much, maybe .2 MOA at 100 yards.  What I have seen is a small amount from "equivalent" rifles, bushmaster vs colt.  It also stands to reason since the chrome is slicker so the rifling will not grip as well and put as good of a spin on the bbl.

Try it for yourself and see what you get!
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#30]
LEGP M4 Barrel vs. DPMS 16" HBAR?  Which is more accurate?
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top