Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/14/2020 10:25:46 AM EDT
This event requires Battle Buddy status:  Provisional.  You must have completed three hikes to participate in this exercise.

We're looking for a maximum of 10 guys for this event.

This will not involve rucking. This event will be an exercise in communications and code. You will be a part of a team to pass along a message encrypted via a one time pad. You will not see anyone during this event.

Social distancing? Check.

If you'd like to participate, post which day works best for you.

This should not take up much of your time on that day.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#1]
In!  Thanks WTC!

Roster
1) @AnvilUSMC
2) @58Teague
3) @ctnsupra1
4) @skydive70
5) @LexConcord
6) @WhiskersTheCat
7) @USMC2671
8) @homeyclaus
9) @mnd

Does everyone on this list have a TYT (or will have one in a few days)?

Can everyone PM me the grid of your home location using whatever degree of precision you are comfortable with? Will be used for coordination and routing. Even the town/municipality will be fine.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I’m interested for sure. The 25th or 26th should be good. What equipment do I need to participate?
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m interested for sure. The 25th or 26th should be good. What equipment do I need to participate?
View Quote

Absolute minimum? Just yourself and a good head on your shoulders.

Recommended:
- CCW (concealed)
- Radio

No plate carriers or anything
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I’m free
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Out of state ok or is this a local NOVA event?
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Do participants need to be local to VA or is this something that is going to happen remotely through electronic means?
If I can participate from Illinois and I have the required equipment, count me in.  The timing of the exercise shouldn’t matter much for me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Out of state ok or is this a local NOVA event?
View Quote

Quoted:
Do participants need to be local to VA or is this something that is going to happen remotely through electronic means?
If I can participate from Illinois and I have the required equipment, count me in.  The timing of the exercise shouldn’t matter much for me.
View Quote

This one will be local.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Recommended:
- CCW (concealed)
- Radio

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Recommended:
- CCW (concealed)
- Radio

Sounds good!
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:42:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Recommended:
- CCW (concealed)
- Radio

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm interested for sure. The 25th or 26th should be good. What equipment do I need to participate?

Recommended:
- CCW (concealed)
- Radio

A radio is right on the border of being required.  This exercise can be done without it however having one will make it much smoother.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This one will be local.
View Quote

Copy.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#11]
The intent here is to run a grey-man exercise.  Also, for the avoidance of doubt, everything we are putting forth here is within the bounds of "legal".
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#12]
In!  Thanks WTC

@skydive70

ETA: later in the day on the 25th (unless it’s something I can do from work/ doesn’t require 100% attention) or any time on the 26th works for me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#13]
OST

Do we need to be a ham, or will this use an alternative form of commnication?
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#14]
@UH_SALT_RIFLE

@jdsbusa
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OST

View Quote

Nope.

The idea is to pass a message, discreetly. You can use a simple handheld
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I guess I can observe and see how we could do something like this in NC
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OST

View Quote
You do not need to be a ham but can use a radio to transmit.  Any transmission will be covered under a license for this purpose.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I look forward to the AAR.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I’ll have a tyt MD  uv-390, but not a ham yet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'll have a tyt MD  uv-390, but not a ham yet.
View Quote
Perfect. You'll be gtg!
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 1:40:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got my TYT Beaker recommended and I'm in on this.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've got my TYT Beaker recommended and I'm in on this.
View Quote

@ctnsupra1 do you need a codeplug?  I don't think I have one set up for you yet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Is the TYT MD-390 the decided upon recommended/ standard radio? There seems to be a couple of sub-models.  Any one in particular, or just with gps?
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@ctnsupra1 do you need a codeplug?  I don't think I have one set up for you yet.
View Quote

Yessir, I need it.  @LT_Beaker
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is the TYT MD-390 the decided upon recommended/ standard radio? There seems to be a couple of sub-models.  Any one in particular, or just with gps?
View Quote

The MD-390UV with GPS is preferred right now. It has a good water rating and the GPS can be setup to send your position encrypted to our operations center, which then can auto plot your location onto a map so we can track everyone.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm jealous of yall. No one in my AO wanted to do this before this shit started.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm jealous of yall. No one in my AO wanted to do this before this shit started.
View Quote

What is your AO?
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Be sure to use the secret font.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The MD-390UV with GPS is preferred right now. It has a good water rating and the GPS can be setup to send your position encrypted to our operations center, which then can auto plot your location onto a map so we can track everyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it, thanks!

Ordering tonight.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#30]
If we can get this stuff nailed down, I'm looking forward to an Arf-approved Great Hootenanny frequency list
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If we can get this stuff nailed down, I'm looking forward to an Arf-approved Great Hootenanny frequency list
View Quote

It won't work for hams...we are running encryption.  Might get you our HF nets though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 8:15:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It won't work for hams...we are running encryption.  Might get you our HF nets though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I mean for comms in general, not this specifically

We need plans for communication at the local, state and national levels. It could be useful for everything from events like Richmond to natural disasters to the obvious.

We have so many people with cheap Baofengs now it would probably be worth putting something together. I'm most definitely on the beginner side otherwise I'd help... I've been a HAM for almost 20 years but I only use it for FPV flying right now
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

We need plans for communication at the local, state and national levels. It could be useful for everything from events like Richmond to natural disasters to the obvious.

We have so many people with cheap Baofengs now it would probably be worth putting something together. I'm most definitely on the beginner side otherwise I'd help... I've been a HAM for almost 20 years but I only use it for FPV flying right now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It all begins on the local level.

We could have just PMd each other. It's in GD for a reason. Network, use your gear, get in shape. That's what APC does.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't consider it encryption. Most likely is only 40bit RC4. It's more digital privacy than encryption.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 8:35:49 PM EDT
[#35]
To OP, This is awesome. Great exercise ??

@alphajaguars

We can replicate this for Troop 556. I can send emails with Tabula Rectas, and we can coordinate for a Running Key Cipher.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Got it, thanks!

Ordering tonight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it, thanks!

Ordering tonight.
@LexConcord shoot me a PM when you can with a good email and I will send you the codeplug
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

@58Teague send me a PM with your email and I will send you the codeplug.  Do you have the programming software?
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:31:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
@LexConcord shoot me a PM when you can with a good email and I will send you the codeplug
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it, thanks!

Ordering tonight.

PM sent. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:33:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

@58Teague send me a PM with your email and I will send you the codeplug.  Do you have the programming software?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoot me the code please. Just got one of the fancy bois
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Got it, thanks!

Ordering tonight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it, thanks!

Ordering tonight.

It's a great radio. I got one a while ago (Amazon item B07F5R5ZXW but stock is running low right now) and have been using it mostly as a police radio scanner, but once you figure out how to program it (especially the digital channels) it's very powerful for a $150 device.

I also got an upgrayyed Nagoya antenna (Amazon # B07RGXBM87). Note that for this radio you need antennas with an "SMA Male" connector. Baofengs use antennas with an "SMA Female" connector, so they are not compatible.

What is compatible with Baofeng (and Kenwood) is the headset connector, so you can use e.g. the Baofeng/BTECH speaker mike (B00Z4X3MM6) & optional "covert" earpiece (B07RQNZCTS) that plugs into it.

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It's a great radio. I got one a while ago (Amazon item B07F5R5ZXW but stock is running low right now) and have been using it mostly as a police radio scanner, but once you figure out how to program it (especially the digital channels) it's very powerful for a $150 device.

I also got an upgrayyed Nagoya antenna (Amazon # B07RGXBM87). Note that for this radio you need antennas with an "SMA Male" connector. Baofengs use antennas with an "SMA Female" connector, so they are not compatible.

What is compatible with Baofeng (and Kenwood) is the headset connector, so you can use e.g. the Baofeng/BTECH speaker mike (B00Z4X3MM6) & optional "covert" earpiece (B07RQNZCTS) that plugs into it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it, thanks!

Ordering tonight.

GREAT info.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#43]
In!
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Do we have to run DMR, or will a regular ole baofeng cut it?
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Do we have to run DMR, or will a regular ole baofeng cut it?
View Quote

The BF will work in this scenario.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:16:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Tag for AAR
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
To OP, This is awesome. Great exercise ??

@alphajaguars

We can replicate this for Troop 556. I can send emails with Tabula Rectas, and we can coordinate for a Running Key Cipher.
View Quote

Yeah, we're probably going to have to start with learning what all that is, first.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:30:15 PM EDT
[#48]
@alphajaguars

The idea here is to run this exercise as a test. Once complete we will undoubtedly learn a lot and understand how to make it better. We then plan to offer this up as a training event template to other groups for conducting in your AO. It should incorporate planning, comms, fitness, field craft, and be fun as well.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:35:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
@alphajaguars

The idea here is to run this exercise as a test. Once complete we will undoubtedly learn a lot and understand how to make it better. We then plan to offer this up as a training event template to other groups for conducting in your AO. It should incorporate planning, comms, fitness, field craft, and be fun as well.
View Quote

Very nice
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
@alphajaguars

View Quote

Quoted:

Very nice
View Quote

Adult apolitical Boyscouts for the win
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top