Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2006 11:04:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:06:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a science teacher that made some when I was in 8th grade.

Stuff is a bit sensitive...
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:08:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ok.......so how do I make it??

It's in the Anarchist's Cookbook.  That';s the recipe my teacher used.

As I recall, you need pure Iodine (solid crystals), Ammonia, and alcohol (denatured, not for your buddy to hold... ).  But I forget how to actually make it...
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd be VERY interested to see if a fart would set the stuff off.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I blew on it and it exploded in my face...

ETA:  Shit, that could be taken seriously out of context..
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:14:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah...dont inhale the gas that results from the explosion...MAJORLY bad for you
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah...dont inhale the gas that results from the explosion...MAJORLY bad for you

Now you tell me!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:19:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Small batches,verrrrry important!!!!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:22:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I convinced my AP Chem teacher to make it for me in HS, and she told me that back when she was a grad student she was in charge of running a lab of undergrads.  One April fools day she made up a diluted batch, and while it was still liquid painted it onto the entrance to the classroom, and a tiny bit on several random chairs.  Said the POPPOPBANGBANG it made when the first student walked in was only slightly less priceless then when they sat down on said chairs...

Awesome stuff - but its not exactly safe - I remember very vividly in my class she made the TINIEST batch of it, and made some serious noise when it dried.  Wouldnt want to SIT on it, thats for sure.

ETA I think I read somewhere that another hilarious application was painting/injecting it into doorhandles/locks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:27:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, my teacher said a student made a decent amount at home and blew a hole in his front porch...

I always figured it would be fun to put in a bird feeder.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 12:29:43 AM EDT
[#11]
It is highly sensitive to friction, a fly landing on a dry crystal would be enough friction to set it off.  It is one of those explosives that Darwin takes interest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top