Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2013 4:47:45 AM EDT
Does anyone have a Nissan NV 2500 with the high roof?  Or have any experience with them?

It's pretty ugly, but the high roof is great.  The van is much cheaper than a Sprinter.

My concern is the fuel mileage.  Does anyone have any real world mileage numbers when using the NV as a partially loaded service van in comparison to the typical GMC Savanna 2500 or Ford E-250?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:52:24 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I've seen they're pretty awesome for people who need service vans.

I think Nissan will be offering a Diesel option in the near future. That should help the fuel mileage some.

It's based off the Nissan Titan frame/engine. My Titan gets about 13 MPG city mileage. So, I wouldn't expect the VAN to get much better.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:07:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I was looking at one for my business, but then i realized i have to park in parking garages fairly often so i'll probably get the normal low top one.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:07:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I was looking at one for my business, but then i realized i have to park in parking garages fairly often so i'll probably get the normal low top one.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:08:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:08:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

You can say that again
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:09:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

And again
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:19:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:20:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Man those things are weird looking

but props to Nissan for actually building a fullsize service type vehicle
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:23:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Ford Transit is coming out in a few months. Its  replacement for the econoline with 3 available roof heights and the 3.5 ecoboost engine out of the f150
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:28:53 AM EDT
[#10]
We were looking at possibly getting one. I liked the way  they built them for a work van. The mileage question came up. We ended up buying a low mileage Astro. Get about 19 MPG on it. I liked the roomier cab than the Astro for sure.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:37:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Ugly as hell but much cheaper than a Sprinter and much cheaper maintenance than a Sprinter.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:48:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think Nissan will be offering a Diesel option in the near future. That should help the fuel mileage some.

It's based off the Nissan Titan frame/engine. My Titan gets about 13 MPG city mileage. So, I wouldn't expect the VAN to get much better.
View Quote

How do you like your Titan?

I have a F150 and need something with more tow capacity and was thinking of getting one of these. How has it been on service, and the little things?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:48:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the replies

The transit won't be out until next summer. The ram Promaster should be out by now but it's late. That will have a Diesel engine that is supposed to be really good with mileage.   It's about $4000 more than the NV when equipped similarly.

I e never had a service van before. Do you think the NV mileage will be around the same as theGMC 2500 and E250?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:50:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The ram Promaster should be out by now but it's late. That will have a Diesel engine that is supposed to be really good with mileage.   It's about $4000 more than the sprinter when equipped similarly.
View Quote

$4000 more than a Sprinter? No thanks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:59:05 AM EDT
[#15]

I can't help OP, but when I see one I always think a 4WD version would make an awesome camper vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:01:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The ram Promaster should be out by now but it's late. That will have a Diesel engine that is supposed to be really good with mileage.   It's about $4000 more than the sprinter when equipped similarly.

I corrected that. With the diesel engine It's $4000 more than the NV. It's still less than the sprinter.  It's FWD, based off of a very popular van in europe
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:21:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have a F150 and need something with more tow capacity and was thinking of getting one of these. How has it been on service, and the little things?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the 2008 model and it's been one awesome truck. I have about 145K miles on it. It is a 4X4 and the only issue I've had is a leak where the front drive shaft enters the front differential. It's a pretty common leak. There is a seal that goes bad and needs to be replaced. It only happens about every 60K miles. So, it's not that big of a deal. About $150 to have a shop do it. I've done all the maintenance on it myself. It's super easy to work on. You can actually access all 8 spark plugs.

The engine and transmission are meant for each other and I've never had any issue come up. It still drives like new. Pickuptrucks.com just did a test and the Titan, which hasn't had any major design changes since 2004 beat out the new Chevy truck. Nissan designed a great truck overall. Now though most of the other trucks have been redesigned twice and the Titan is showing it's age, but I still a good truck. I have no desire to replace it right now unless Nissan comes out with a diesel Titan (in the works right now).

If you're looking to buy used get a 2008+ model. Nissan addressed some of the weak spots with that update (better brakes mainly). The differential issue you hear people mention here all the time was fixed in 2006. If looking new you should be able to get a pretty good deal on the Titan. When I bought mine the Titan was $4000 less than an F150 and it came with more options.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 7:11:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Is the Nissan diesel going to be for efficiency or power?  

I don't want it to be like the American offerings in which is costs $8,000 more for the engine while getting almost the same mileage.

That's why I like the diesel engine in the Ram ProMaster, it's small and efficient.  I don't really care about power, I just want to be able to carry 1,500-2,000lbs of tools and material around town without using huge amounts of fuel.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 7:17:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I corrected that. With the diesel engine It's $4000 more than the NV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha.
Like you said still cheaper than a Sprinter. The high roof NVs are selling for about $10-12k less than a Sprinter. I'll have to look into the Ram diesel.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 7:29:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Gotcha.
Like you said still cheaper than a Sprinter. The high roof NVs are selling for about $10-12k less than a Sprinter. I'll have to look into the Ram diesel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha.

The ProMaster without the diesel is pretty much the same price as the NV with similar size and equipment.  BUT, it only has a V6 gas engine.  So if you were to lower the NV to the V6 engine, it would be cheaper.

All in all, the NV seems to be a great van.  it looks ugly, but it's not a fashion show.  Having the long hood makes it easier to work on the engine and gives the cabin more of a car/truck feeling than the typical van seating.  And being able to stand tall in  a van and access all of your shelving is great.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Bump for anyone else who may own an NV.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The ProMaster without the diesel is pretty much the same price as the NV with similar size and equipment.  BUT, it only has a V6 gas engine.  So if you were to lower the NV to the V6 engine, it would be cheaper.

All in all, the NV seems to be a great van.  it looks ugly, but it's not a fashion show.  Having the long hood makes it easier to work on the engine and gives the cabin more of a car/truck feeling than the typical van seating.  And being able to stand tall in  a van and access all of your shelving is great.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gotcha.

I think the NV has a base 6 cylinder

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think the NV has a base 6 cylinder  
View Quote

Yes, it does.  I mentioned that if you dropped to the V6 in the NV it would be cheaper than the ProMaster.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I am waiting for the Euro Transit as my next work van, hopefully the diesel will make it to the USA. I have the little Transit now and it is nice but cramped, 24 city 27 hwy pays for itself though compared to the larger rigs and you can reach everything in it without climbing in.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am waiting for the Euro Transit as my next work van, hopefully the diesel will make it to the USA. I have the little Transit now and it is nice but cramped, 24 city 27 hwy pays for itself though compared to the larger rigs and you can reach everything in it without climbing in.
View Quote

I put a lot of thought into the Connect and NV200.  I just can't do it, not enough room for what I need and I would have more than the weight rating as well.

The full size Transit looks nice, but it won't be out until next Summer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top