Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/23/2017 12:36:10 PM EDT
So,

Bought a 2013 Rogue with low (like around / under 8k) miles on it.

Research says the continuously variable transmission is a crapshoot; but later versions are more solid and don't require the hillbilly cooler modification.

I went ahead and purchased the carmax (yeah, I know, whatever) extended warranty to layer over Nissans, because I think we are still under theirs for certain stuff.

I have an opportunity to borrow it and put a few thousand miles on it. Should I:

Put the miles on, through some mountains, and see if the transmission is a lemon, risking being towed home or sitting at an out-of-state dealership

or

Just let the miles go on naturally and let nature take its' course (it typically is only driven about 5 miles at a time and shut down, and maybe a 30 mile trip into the Big City once a weekend).

Side note: any positive experiences with an addon remote start kit?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#1]
You have an opportunity to borrow a car you already bought?

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So,

Bought a 2013 Rogue with low (like around / under 8k) miles on it.

Research says the continuously variable transmission is a crapshoot; but later versions are more solid and don't require the hillbilly cooler modification.

I went ahead and purchased the carmax (yeah, I know, whatever) extended warranty to layer over Nissans, because I think we are still under theirs for certain stuff.

I have an opportunity to borrow it and put a few thousand miles on it. Should I:

Put the miles on, through some mountains, and see if the transmission is a lemon, risking being towed home or sitting at an out-of-state dealership

or

Just let the miles go on naturally and let nature take its' course (it typically is only driven about 5 miles at a time and shut down, and maybe a 30 mile trip into the Big City once a weekend).

Side note: any positive experiences with an addon remote start kit?

Thanks
View Quote

OEM remote start or bust, Cvts are just bleeeeeeeeehhhhhhh, I don't get why the Japanese have such a extreme hard on for them

Kia and Hyundai only have one cvt, but it's on a tiny 1L 3 cylinder engine, that's were it makes the most sense, but on a V6 and a 4,000 lb SUV? not a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#3]
A Rogue? Seriously?

Of all the small crossover's to buy that's the one you picked?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#4]
80% sure Nissan has a special policy on those transmissions. I know they came out with service tools, parts and repair procedures for the service department to repair them instead of just swapping them out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#5]
You got the carmax warranty.  Just drive it, man.

Nissan stuck with the CVT and figured it out how to make them live behind V6's.  They've sold a metric fuck ton of Rogues and if there were huge issues you'd know it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

OEM remote start or bust, Cvts are just bleeeeeeeeehhhhhhh, I don't get why the Japanese have such a extreme hard on for them

Kia and Hyundai only have one cvt, but it's on a tiny 1L 3 cylinder engine, that's were it makes the most sense, but on a V6 and a 4,000 lb SUV? not a good idea.
View Quote
What makes Nissan remote start so great? 

I have a Toyota and when I looked for a remote start after market was definitely the way to go. 

Much more in terms of features and range. At a lower cost. 

Personally I went with a simple one button 2 way remote from python. It has pretty amazing range and been great. I installed it myself. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Flush that CVT with some good syn fluid. Like Amsoil or so. I  think youll need about 10 quarts to do a complete flush. That and put the biggest trans cooler you can find to fit
on it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Are they easy to fix if they break? All of the powersports CVT's I've worked on have been super easy. I've never messed with an automotive CVT though.

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#9]
The CVT in my wife's Nissan Altima has been flawless in 160K miles so far. I have serviced it twice in that mileage however.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Under 8k. Heck you're gtg
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What makes Nissan remote start so great? 

I have a Toyota and when I looked for a remote start after market was definitely the way to go. 

Much more in terms of features and range. At a lower cost. 

Personally I went with a simple one button 2 way remote from python. It has pretty amazing range and been great. I installed it myself. 
View Quote
The amount of cars that have had their electrical systems butchered by aftermarket remote start systems is biblical, Hyundai and kias are vary sensitive espicialy, you tap in to the wrong thing and the whole car will not even run right.

Having features and range at a cheap price is nice, but having a body control module fry, the ABS system receiving false data, or simply having the car burn to the ground, is not worth the risk.

I deal with it almost daily, every single one was wrong, I even saw one wired in to the SRS conector of the stearing wheel airbag. That means I might not deploy, or even scarier, deploy for no reason...

@c7aea15
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are they easy to fix if they break? All of the powersports CVT's I've worked on have been super easy. I've never messed with an automotive CVT though.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/8-27-2015/V-IuxR.gif
View Quote
Different world. Not to bad after a while though
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:14:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't get why the Japanese have such a extreme hard on for them
View Quote
Because theoretically the concept is pretty damn sweet.  Removes a shit-tonne of moving parts and keeps the engine in the optimum RPM range for more time.

They are funky to drive though... but new drivers that aren't used to gears shifting wouldn't notice.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You have an opportunity to borrow a car you already bought?

View Quote
You in the habit of just tooling around in your wife's car?

Quoted:

OEM remote start or bust,
View Quote
That's just it; I researched it. There is no factory / OEM remote start; people ordering that, it's some no name the dealership adds on. Hence my question; the only site I could find that covers rogues is lacking in depth, to say the least.

Quoted:
A Rogue? Seriously?

Of all the small crossover's to buy that's the one you picked?
View Quote
I didn't pick it. She likes egg-shaped cars and is tickled with it.

Quoted:
80% sure Nissan has a special policy on those transmissions. I know they came out with service tools, parts and repair procedures for the service department to repair them instead of just swapping them out.
View Quote
I could be way off, and would love to be corrected, but my understanding from reading was it only covered the first iteration of CVT. After the cutoff, it doesn't count now or something, and we fell post that range. But if there's a campaign or service bulletin I can get a copy of, I'd love to tuck that away. Just in case...

Quoted:
Flush that CVT with some good syn fluid. Like Amsoil or so. I  think youll need about 10 quarts to do a complete flush. That and put the biggest trans cooler you can find to fit
on it.
View Quote
We are going up to Knoxville today to let a Nissan dealership do that. I don't, even with the Magnusson-Moss act, want any excuses on why either entity would be able to hang their hat on for not honoring their warranties. Let the Nissan shop have a record of the vehicle, and flush the CVT, even though it's early, and let them do an engine oil and filter swap too.

Clean bill of health, right? Make it a teeny bit harder should it shit the bed later. Wondering about a cooler though...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Nissan is the only CVT vehicle I would drive, they seem to have it figured out compared to the other manufacturers out there.

Hell, even Jeep uses a Jatco (Nissan) CVT in the Compass/Patriot twins.

With your warranty I wouldn't worry about it and just drive the thing. However I would make sure you find out exactly what is covered by the warranty.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
They are funky to drive though... but new drivers that aren't used to gears shifting wouldn't notice.
View Quote
It's like a golf cart. I dislike it greatly. R's go up and stay flat as the car gets up to speed, then drops to the next lower level of rpms. Disconcerting to say the least. Sport mode isn't much better.

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The amount of cars that have had their electrical systems butchered by aftermarket remote start systems is biblical, Hyundai and kias are vary sensitive espicialy, you tap in to the wrong thing and the whole car will not even run right.

Having features and range at a cheap price is nice, but having a body control module fry, the ABS system receiving false data, or simply having the car burn to the ground, is not worth the risk.

I deal with it almost daily, every single one was wrong, I even saw one wired in to the SRS conector of the stearing wheel airbag. That means I might not deploy, or even scarier, deploy for no reason...

@c7aea15
View Quote
I can see where it could go wrong for a lot of people I guess. I've had mine for like 4 years now and use it nearly every time I start the car. Hot or cold. 

It wasn't difficult but it certainly wasn't easy. I just took a lot of time. I made sure I identified every wire before even starting and planned now everything would go. I soldered every connection too. 

ETA: I did do a write up identitfing the wires used and some pics. http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/141769-remote-starter-installation.html @LittlePony 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#18]
My 2007 Maxima was rock solid. I drained the fluid every 60k miles though. Only used OEM fluid. Sold at 120k with no powertrain issues.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nissan is the only CVT vehicle I would drive, they seem to have it figured out compared to the other manufacturers out there.

Hell, even Jeep uses a Jatco (Nissan) CVT in the Compass/Patriot twins.

With your warranty I wouldn't worry about it and just drive the thing. However I would make sure you find out exactly what is covered by the warranty.
View Quote
Did you just justify reliability with Jeep products?!  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You in the habit of just tooling around in your wife's car?
View Quote
Ah... that makes sense.  Carry on.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I can see where it could go wrong for a lot of people I guess. I've had mine for like 4 years now and use it nearly every time I start the car. Hot or cold. 

It wasn't difficult but it certainly wasn't easy. I just took a lot of time. I made sure I identified every wire before even starting and planned now everything would go. I soldered every connection too. 

ETA: I did do a write up identitfing the wires used and some pics. http://www.rav4world.com/forums/123-4-4-general/141769-remote-starter-installation.html @LittlePony 
View Quote
If only other people were as careful as you.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's like a golf cart. I dislike it greatly. R's go up and stay flat as the car gets up to speed, then drops to the next lower level of rpms. Disconcerting to say the least. Sport mode isn't much better.

View Quote
I haven't driven one yet (our sister lot does Nissan, and I haven't made it down there to try it), but the new Maxima CVT has actually been engineered (programmed?) to offer more noticeable, distinctive "shift points", just to make it feel a little more traditional.

What would be really interesting is if the CVT gets beefed up enough to work with a real performance engine... driving fast on a track could potentially be really weird but also pretty damn awesome with the revs in the sweet spot for the whole lap.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
with the revs in the sweet spot for the whole lap.  
View Quote
That right there would be the main attraction, I'd think. If you could keep it in the power band the whole time, it would be a lot different than most performance vehciles I've driven.

Rental car is looking like about $200 Friday to Friday, so we may be taking the egg...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:44:40 PM EDT
[#24]
My wife has a 2016.

She wanted it and that's what she has.

For the money it's nice.

I think you are being overly worrisome about the car.

You have plenty of coverage with the warranty you purchased.

Keep up on the vehicle maintenance and enjoy it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a 2013 nissan rogue. Killed the tranny around 40000 miles. Those were some pretty hard miles. 4+ hour trips through the mountains to la colorado utah idaho northern nevada and i have a lead foot.

The mountains from la to vegas were the main culprit along with the dealership overfilling the tranny fluid a bit. Would "lose power" going up looooooooong hills after running for a long while at highway speed+ 80-90 or so. Not really losing power but the tranny goes in to fail safe mode. If it happens you need to pull over asap and shut the car off for a good 10 minutes minimum to let it cool off and the computer to reset from fail safe. The scariest part is the total lack of acceleration after this happens like when you come to a stop sign and have to cross the street you better make sure there is no cross traffic for a while because it will take a long while to get moving.

2013 has a 60k mile powertrain warranty. They should extend to 120 like they did with older models. At this rate the first one was free but i'll get to pay for a second possibly third tranny.

I am taking it a lot easier on this tranny, i didn't really know it was an issue before but now i just take it easy on trying to accelerate quickly especially uphill and when i'm already going fast. The gf who was living in la moved here too so not as many hard miles.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
on it.
View Quote
Yeah great idea if you want to ensure your tranny fails. Cvt needs cvt fluid and you want the nissan one. And you need to make sure it is not too full.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Nissan CVT was designed for their V6 engines. Anything else sucked.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My wife has a 2016.

She wanted it and that's what she has.

For the money it's nice.

I think you are being overly worrisome about the car.

You have plenty of coverage with the warranty you purchased.

Keep up on the vehicle maintenance and enjoy it.
View Quote
Well, cars have wound up being bigger investments to us. Most people buy and sell on a pretty regular basis. I still have a vehicle purchased new from 1991. Her last car lasted a long time, and we'd like this one to last too, but have heard a lot of bad stuff about the 1st gen transmissions.

Quoted:
I have a 2013 nissan rogue. Killed the tranny around 40000 miles. Those were some pretty hard miles. 4+ hour trips through the mountains to la colorado utah idaho northern nevada and i have a lead foot.

The mountains from la to vegas were the main culprit along with the dealership overfilling the tranny fluid a bit. Would "lose power" going up looooooooong hills after running for a long while at highway speed+ 80-90 or so. Not really losing power but the tranny goes in to fail safe mode. If it happens you need to pull over asap and shut the car off for a good 10 minutes minimum to let it cool off and the computer to reset from fail safe. The scariest part is the total lack of acceleration after this happens like when you come to a stop sign and have to cross the street you better make sure there is no cross traffic for a while because it will take a long while to get moving.

2013 has a 60k mile powertrain warranty. They should extend to 120 like they did with older models. At this rate the first one was free but i'll get to pay for a second possibly third tranny.

I am taking it a lot easier on this tranny, i didn't really know it was an issue before but now i just take it easy on trying to accelerate quickly especially uphill and when i'm already going fast. The gf who was living in la moved here too so not as many hard miles.
View Quote
That is the exact set of issues I'm concerned about.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#29]
dealer service writer can tell you about any extended coverage on the transmission if they are doing anything for your specific vehicle
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:35:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Did you just justify reliability with Jeep products?!  
View Quote
Meh, all of my Mopar vehicles have treated me well.

Your, and others', experience may vary
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
dealer service writer can tell you about any extended coverage on the transmission if they are doing anything for your specific vehicle
View Quote
I don't know what a service writer is, but I intend to ask the service department some questions when we get there today. Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:53:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:06:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I'll never have another cvt after this Nissan Rogue. It's my wife's and it absolutely sucks. Hillbilly Cooler fixed it briefly. Now it's doing the same thing. Piece of shit. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I would never, ever, install anything electronic that isn't plug and play.  I'd make a PNP adapter harness before I go hacking into the factory harness.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:37:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Put a good B&M plate cooler on neighbor's '02 Altima a couple months ago, she was having the high temp limp home issues.  Have heard nothing about it since then, and it's been hot here in Vegas this summer.  It's a viable solution.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Welp,

Sitting here at the dealership. Arf is blocked...

To get the engine oil and filter changed, tires balanced and rotated, transmission flushed, new cvt fluid, and other stuff inspected and topped off is gonna be around $300. But I'll have on paper at a Nissan dealership a baseline (it was fine when it left!) lol
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'll never have another cvt after this Nissan Rogue. It's my wife's and it absolutely sucks. Hillbilly Cooler fixed it briefly. Now it's doing the same thing. Piece of shit. 
View Quote

What year and mileage is yours? How has Nissan been to deal with?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm curious about the model year.

Twice serviced was a smart move.  Nissan recommended against service up to at least 2009, then added a service interval for special conditions.  They also removed the pan drain plug on the 2009 model.  Idiots, across the board.
View Quote
Truly foolish they are, change a Kias every 60k and your fine.

Some days Nissan next door is replacing four transmissions in one day.

We do them only every once in awhile

I have always seen Nissan as the Chrysler of Japan, nowadays with Nissan and they're hard on for cvts, Honda now also going CVT and using insane ZF German automatics, because of that I dont trust the Japanese automakers as much as I did, the only ones I still have a fair trust for is the new Mazda since they've been away from Ford, Subaru, and non CVT Toyotas and Lexus.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#41]
If you got the car max warranty you'll be covered financially. Google Land Rover carmax warranty. Some auto industry blogger did it and calculated how much he saved.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If you got the car max warranty you'll be covered financially. Google Land Rover carmax warranty. Some auto industry blogger did it and calculated how much he saved.
View Quote

I've read that!

When I was researching getting her a newer vehicle, articles similar to that is why I spun the wheel on carmax.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I don't get why the Japanese have such a extreme hard on for them
View Quote
Smog laws.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Lol bought a Nissan
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My 2007 Maxima was rock solid. I drained the fluid every 60k miles though. Only used OEM fluid. Sold at 120k with no powertrain issues.
View Quote
My 04 maxima had the dreaded steering wheel shimmy and started to show signs of the widely known issue with the nylon rollers with the timing chain noise.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The first question you should have asked is about the method the shop uses, whether they use a fluid exchange machine, or drain from the pan.  Or the drain plug in the side of the case if there is no plug in the pan.

Second question,"how many quarts did you replace?"

Third question, "what brand fluid did you use?"  Nissan dealers don't use their in house brand unless requested.  The price is about $20 per quart for Nissan bottles.  Valvoline sells for $10 per quart here.  Your car probably uses almost 9 quarts.

Last, you should told the service guys, "show me the dipstick."  You can look at home, but you will need to Google up the method for removing the dip stick.  If the fluid is anything but clear, the job was half assed.  I'm skeptical about the transmission service.

Repeat the transmission service every 60k miles or so.  Complete change, none of their bullshit 2 to 4 quarts.
View Quote
Those would have been excellent things to say. When I get carmax's subcon to do it the next time, I will dig in the archives for exactly this.

Still drives to me like something major is wrong up there though, but I find myself getting harder to adapt to modryn technologie of late.

Thanks for all the input!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:11:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Welp,

Sitting here at the dealership. Arf is blocked...

To get the engine oil and filter changed, tires balanced and rotated, transmission flushed, new cvt fluid, and other stuff inspected and topped off is gonna be around $300. But I'll have on paper at a Nissan dealership a baseline (it was fine when it left!) lol
View Quote
Thats not a bad deal cvt fluid is expensive
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm 100% there is an extended powertrain warranty on CERTAIN year/model cars.

Personally, I'd avoid all Nissan products.  Buy a Rav4 and be done with it.  In all fairness, I have a seen a Rav or two with a blown transmissions around 120k.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top