Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2018 12:38:12 PM EDT
I have been looking for new aspects of photography.
================================
NikonRumors-"Photographing Japanese food with a Nikon D750"
I'm Vincent from Paris, France and I created the website cecj2.com in 2008 about Japanese restaurants. As a semi-professional food blogger, I have read many books and articles on how to take food pictures. A tripod, a long distance lens (85mm at least) and a light diffuser were used, but none of these are possible when you are in a fancy Japanese restaurant in Tokyo or in a dive bar.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 3:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#2]
fish223: I have been watching NHK broadcasts from Tokyo, and they have a thriving industry of making plastic/wax models of real food, and they look surprising real.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#3]
pics are nice enough, but that focus (depth of focus?) is a little rough in some of those shots. makes it difficult to view more than a few shots.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Use a shitty camera. 

Leave it to the viewer's imagination.

I want another good camera, and yet I don't. 
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 6:09:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Usually BETTER than the real thing.
Real food starts to lose it's shine and luster under the studio lights, colors change on cut vegatables, things start to wilt, liquids congeal, etc.
Food blogging is obviously different, it's shot right out of the kitchen and the set doesn't require studio quality.

Next time you look at that ad for the Big Mac, and wonder why it doesn't look the same out of the wrapper......
View Quote
All sorts of witchcraft used in professional food photography, or at least the ad side of it.  WD-40, tampons, spray deodorant, engine oil, etc.  You name it really.  Basically so long as it looks realistic but doesn't screw up the product or gives a longer shooting time, it gets used.

Kinda creative what people come up with though.  A while back I asked a BTS question about coffee photography, and those 'just poured' photos with the milk swirling in the 'coffee' sometimes are cream getting poured into a cooled mixture of gelatin and soy sauce, for example.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Usually BETTER than the real thing.
Real food starts to lose it's shine and luster under the studio lights, colors change on cut vegatables, things start to wilt, liquids congeal, etc.
Food blogging is obviously different, it's shot right out of the kitchen and the set doesn't require studio quality.

Next time you look at that ad for the Big Mac, and wonder why it doesn't look the same out of the wrapper......
View Quote
I have no doubt, food will look pretty $hitty after a few minutes just sitting even without the hot lights. I am doing research on marcro-photography and came across food photos. I am going to try my hand at flowers etc, and I may  use one of those circular strobes, help eliminate the shadows.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top