Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2010 2:34:13 PM EDT
this manual focus lens looks pretty awesome...same design for a few decades!

I am thinking about buying one for a couple of reasons...one, I want to discipline myself in the ways of manual focusing. I almost feel like I am cheating the world of photography by picking up a DSLR and shooting autofocus even if the other settings are manual.

Second, I think shooting wide open at 1.2 will be pretty sweet!
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#1]
When I was doing a lot of film photography, I looked into a 1.2 lens.  They were grossly expensive and all the reviews, no matter what the maker or the quality, showed there is a good bit of distortion compared to lesser opening lenses.  It is the sacrifice you have to make to get light.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, 1.4 is hard enough to keep focused let alone 1.2.  

Buy the 1.4 and dont look back.
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Are those 50 f/1.2 Nikkor's hard to come by? I shoot Canon so I don't know.

I'd do more manual focus through the viewfinder if I had a split prism focusing screen. Today's dSLR focusing screens suck for manual focus. I thought about replacing the one in my 5D Mark II with the EG-S matte precision focusing screen. I know Katz Eye makes split prism screens for various makes and models. Though they don't have one for the 5DMKII.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 4:30:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to have a 1.2 50mm Nikor. No matter what I did the image was soft. Wasn't an issue with depth of field. Nothing in the image either in front or behind the point of focus including the point of focus was soft. I hated that because I really wanted to like the lens. As a result I sold it and never looked back. Put the money towards my 17-55 f2.8 and never looked back.

The old manual focus glass has a solid feel to it and I still like putting my MF 85 f1.8 on and having a nice relaxing day with it just walking around.
Link Posted: 12/14/2010 4:37:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am thinking about buying one for a couple of reasons...one, I want to discipline myself in the ways of manual focusing. I almost feel like I am cheating the world of photography by picking up a DSLR and shooting autofocus even if the other settings are manual . . .

I began shooting photos in the mid-70s and used all manner of manual focus cameras. Believe me, you're not missing anything.

Besides, why not just flip the focus switch on the side of the camera and focus your AF lenses manually if you want to try it? As for the f 1.2 lens, if you don't have anything super fast, you'll find that you can get some "interesting" effects with it, but I suspect you'll soon tire of it. If you already have a f1.4 or f2.0 lens, I wouldn't bother. Not enough difference.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a D40 and shoot mostly with old manual lenses.  The 50mm f/1.2 gets used most often but rarely wider than f/2.  It's noticeably soft there, especially up close, and a real SOB to focus at distances inside say 15ft.  I think I got it for around $275––good luck finding one for less than $400.
You should be able to pick up a f/1.4, f/1.8 or f/2 in some sort of AI'd, AI or AiS form for well under $60.  Or find a 55mm f/2.8 Micro and it'll be more useful to you.    I also love my 85mm f/1.8 and my 105mm f/2.5 (which can be gotten fairly cheap).

It's nice to have on rare occasions, but not nearly as often as you'd think.  I've got a split prism screen which helps.
This one wasn't so bad since she was a good 20ft out.

Pretty flippin' soft for a shot taken w/ a tripod.

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've got a D40 and shoot mostly with old manual lenses.  The 50mm f/1.2 gets used most often but rarely wider than f/2.  It's noticeably soft there, especially up close, and a real SOB to focus at distances inside say 15ft.  I think I got it for around $275––good luck finding one for less than $400.

You should be able to pick up a f/1.4, f/1.8 or f/2 in some sort of AI'd, AI or AiS form for well under $60.  Or find a 55mm f/2.8 Micro and it'll be more useful to you.    I also love my 85mm f/1.8 and my 105mm f/2.5 (which can be gotten fairly cheap).

It's nice to have on rare occasions, but not nearly as often as you'd think.  I've got a split prism screen which helps.

This one wasn't so bad since she was a good 20ft out.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4132/4965150713_05a7971845_b.jpg

Pretty flippin' soft for a shot taken w/ a tripod.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3064/2632034087_82d45ed2a1_b.jpg  

That's a narrow DOF!
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are those 50 f/1.2 Nikkor's hard to come by? I shoot Canon so I don't know.

I'd do more manual focus through the viewfinder if I had a split prism focusing screen. Today's dSLR focusing screens suck for manual focus. I thought about replacing the one in my 5D Mark II with the EG-S matte precision focusing screen. I know Katz Eye makes split prism screens for various makes and models. Though they don't have one for the 5DMKII.

Yeah, I HATE manual focusing with my D90. Sure, I can do it, but I was 1000x's faster doing manual focus with my old Minolta, as it had the split prism focusing screen.

I figure a computer is figuring out so much on my camera, even when I'm shooting manual, that AF isnt' cheating. Besides, have you ever tried chasing down a nearly 4 year old and 18 month old, at 1.8, with manual focus? AF for the win...

I wouldn't mind the nikon 24mm F1.4 lens for a really good low light lens, but it's 2K..
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#9]
One of the guys I shoot with has the f/1.2, and it's DOF is razor thin.  Sneeze or have a heartbeat and you're out of focus.  They are neat lenses though, and do have a look and feel all their own.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top