Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 9:37:41 PM EDT
It's not miss, it's not mrs., it's not mr., it's "ma'm"? How the hell do you spell that word? And, for bonus points, what does the word really mean, and what are its origins?

Post edited for spelling .
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Ma'am
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:38:11 PM EDT
[#2]

On a related note, how do you spell ya'll?

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ma'am

Thats the way I do it....

Quoted:
On a related note, how do you spell ya'll?

Like that.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Ma'am is short for madam.

IBN_T

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#5]
[wikipedia]Madam or ma'am is a title for a woman. It is derived from the French madame, the equivalent of Mrs. or Ms., and literally signifying "my lady." The plural of madam in this sense is mesdames.[/wikipedia]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#6]
It's short for "you all", so following the "standardized" rules of contraction is should be "y'all".
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#7]
ma'am

y'all

ain't

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ma'am

+1
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#9]
And why do people say this: “When abouts?” when "when" works just perfectly?

I think I'll take another swig and slur some more words......
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#10]
ma'am

Standard use of the apostrophe is to fill in where letters or numbers are removed.

For example, "y'all" is spelled like so.  That is also why you talk about the '90s as a fucked up decade, not the 90's - the latter indicated possessive, a while other use for apostrophes.

As for ma'am - it is shortened from madam.  Webster tells us that the word came to English from Middle English, and before that from the Middle Frenchma dame, literally "my lady."

Webster continues to define the current use of the word as, "used without a name as a form of respectful or polite address to a woman."

And thus concludes today's lesson.

Edit:  Holy crap, this thread is moving fast - there were only a few replies when I started typing this ('course, I may have had the window open a while )
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#11]
never mind, that wouldn't make sense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top