Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2018 5:05:38 AM EDT
Went out with some friends to do some night shooting and took some muzzle flash shots. Gear was Canon 5DMkIII, Sigma 24-35, two Flashpoint speedlights with wireless remote and a wireless remote trigger for the camera. The AR shots were done with green tip that provided a nice fireball.

Link Posted: 8/28/2018 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Good stuff.

When you say 'remote trigger' do you mean something with a photoelectric cell that opens the shutter when it sees light?

Forgive the newbie question.

Sounds like something that could be used for lightning photography too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good stuff.

When you say 'remote trigger' do you mean something with a photoelectric cell that opens the shutter when it sees light?

View Quote
No. I just use a cheap Newer wireless remote. The shutter speed is 0.8 of a second. I tell the shooter to pull the trigger when they see the flash. Figure normal reaction time is about .2 seconds give or take a little. So I hit the remote and the shutter opens and flash fires capturing the shooter then the shooter pulls the trigger in the dark allowing the muzzle flash to show up.
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Great shots  no pun intended.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good stuff.

View Quote
Some folks do use light triggers for lightning, but the easier way is to just set an intervalometer (built in on prosumer and up bodies) and just set a long exposure.  I typicaly use 5-8 seconds for night (wide open) and about 1 second for daytime (and crank that f way the hell down).

This one was 2 seconds.

Lightning 20180808 by FredMan, on Flickr

This one was 4 seconds
Lightning 20180601 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've never been able to get this to work. I set up a camera facing all the lightning, once I get it all set up, the lightning decides it wants to be elsewhere out of view.

I hate that shit.
View Quote
Oh, I've got thousands of frames of no lightning.  Success rate is probably well under 5%, but when it works it works!
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 12:10:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Oh, I've got thousands of frames of no lightning.  Success rate is probably well under 5%, but when it works it works!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never been able to get this to work. I set up a camera facing all the lightning, once I get it all set up, the lightning decides it wants to be elsewhere out of view.

I hate that shit.
If you're using an intervalometer, just set up a second camera with overlapping exposure time. In other words, have your shutter open longer than the interval between shots. With 2 cameras you will only very rarely have both shutters closed at the same time. You'd get almost complete coverage of the storm, more likely to capture every strike than miss one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top