Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2022 6:26:36 PM EDT
Looking at Night Vision and the various setups that you can buy.

How much better are duals/binos over a single PVS14?

Are they worth the cost?

Is a single PVS14 paired with a thermal better than duals/binos?

Link Posted: 3/5/2022 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#1]
A guy with a decent amount of training and a monocular vs a noob with duals. Pvs 14 guy is probably gonna wreck the newb.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#2]
This is GD.  If you don't have quads for yourself, duals for your wife and kids, and thermals for all, you're a poor piece of shit.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a pvs14 and a coti. The extra FOV is nice on binos, but it doesn't beat thermal integration imo.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 6:52:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looking at Night Vision and the various setups that you can buy.

How much better are duals/binos over a single PVS14?

Are they worth the cost?

Is a single PVS14 paired with a thermal better than duals/binos?

View Quote

I think I have seen paired PVS14's and thermal like with a FLIR breach or something like that. You can definitely put a COTI on a single 14, which is how I think I would do it. that leaves one eye free for using a red dot.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Just get 14s. I’ve got 7s, wish I had some 14s.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I have both. Use them five out of seven days for morning walks. Buy a 14. If it turns into something you really want to get into you can resell the 14 for minimal lose and get into duals.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#7]
14’s are good. Just don’t go to good bino’s like 31’s afterwards. ‘Cause then when you try to go back to 14’s, your brain is going to break.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#8]
PVS14’s are like the Glock 19 of NVG. They may not be super Gucci but they’re quality and are the standard by which others are judged by.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both (PVS14 and PVS15s).

I strongly prefer the dual setup and use them almost exclusively. I use the 14 for traveling and as a loaner.

As for whether duals are worth the price difference, that depends on what you plan to do with NODs. I do a lot of night shooting and force on force CQB. The price is worth it to me.

That said, I have training partners that do everything I do with 14s. If you're not going to spend a ton of time under them then the extra cost probably isn't worth it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I prefer binos. However, budget plays a part and seeing in the dark with one eye is better than not seeing in the dark at all.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 7:17:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is GD.  If you don't have quads for yourself, duals for your wife and kids, and thermals for all, you're a poor piece of shit.
View Quote

duh. id order both night vision and thermals in a heartbeat if i lived somewhere they'd be useful. or i really believed i'd be door kicking my neighbors houses anytime soon. the reality of the situation for urban dwellers is there's a 99.99% chance you're a whole lot better off putting that money into your retirement.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Yay!

A GD night vision thread.

I use a PVS14/flir breach combo.

The -14 is sooo much better for navigating, but I will NOT be without helmet-mounted thermal.

You can see everything.

P
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 7:22:20 PM EDT
[#14]
The binos are all around better, especially if you plan on using them for any length of time, but you can use the PVS14 for more things off your head. Attach it to a telescope, spotting scope, your phone, carry it in your jacket pocket, etc.

You will want binos about 15min after using your PVS14. The '14 is a good place to start.

To add some rational logic here. You can get a '14 for $3k-$5k. binos are $6k-$15k. How much are you actually going to use them? Even if just for novelty, what kind of area do you live it; Really rural, binos would be cool. Urban, binos not so logical. When I go play with mine around my home I want to get rid of every streetlight on my street.

Binos are unequivocally a better experience, but the price is steep.

ETA: I’m for getting both fwiw. Learn on the ‘14 while you save up. Then when you have the binos you can use the ‘14 for more under the radar stuff or hand it off to someone. It’s small and handy. You pretty much need a helmet with binos, with the ‘14 you can use a nightcap (which is worth having.)
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yay!

A GD night vision thread

P
View Quote

Too soon......you killed it
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Used a single green for 3 yrs before upgrading to a DTNVS wp.  

The juice of binos is def worth the squeeze.  

If you can only afford one tho, def buy a 14.  

Sell rifles.  Cancel memberships to things that dont pay a return.  

I am afraid that in the very near future the return on even a single 14 will be great.  In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.  

I will say this, in the scheme of things, I would not have spent money on IR lasers.  The near peer and peer capacity makes it too much of a liability.  

Spend the laser money an quality optics- eotech or aimpoint.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#17]
If you can afford a dual setup get it, if you can’t or don’t want to spend that much, get a good PVS14. You will not feel underwhelmed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top