Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2002 10:58:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 12:25:47 AM EDT
[#1]
[b]Students were presented with a simple proposition by BBC African Service producers: would they be prepared to drop professional aspirations and become bricklayers for a salary of $50,000 a year?

One vigorously rejected the idea as quite beneath him.

Others conceded that when it comes to money you have to get your hands dirty.

"I will make time to go into bricklaying," said 20-year-old Taiwo Babs.

"Most graduates make nothing in a year. I would make $50,000 and after work I would get into the shower, clean up and become bigger than them."[/b]
View Quote

Is that in US dollars?  That cannot possibly be right.  Their GDP per capita is $950 a year, 45% below the poverty line, 28% unemployment.

I once made $50,000 a year as a laborer, but only because I was working 70 hours a week on a high wage remote site.  No way in hell is any bricklayer in Africa making $50,000. Impossible.  Oh wait, it was a hypothetical thing.  They were offered manual labor and would be paid by the BBC $50,000 a year instead of sitting around doing nothing, and they refused.

BTW, what does this have to do with guns?
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 12:32:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 12:52:32 AM EDT
[#3]
From that article, they seem over-educated.  Or have an unhealthy disdain towards labor.  Can't believe they'd feel above $50,000 a year in a country with a per-capita income of $950 because they feel manual labor is beneath them.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 12:56:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top