Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 7:38:14 PM EDT
Nigeria turns to China for defence aid
By Dino Mahtani in Lagos
Published: February 27 2006 22:05 | Last updated: February 28 2006 03:11

Nigeria has criticised Washington for failing to help protect the country’s oil assets from rebel attack, forcing it to turn to other military suppliers, including China, for support.

Atiku Abubakar, Nigeria’s vice-president, told the Financial Times the US had been too slow to help protect the oil-rich Niger Delta from a growing insurgency. He said talks with the US over security plans for the region did not “appear to be moving as fast as the situation is unfolding” and Nigeria was instead sourcing military equipment elsewhere.

Nigerian security sources said China was becoming one of Nigeria’s main suppliers of military hardware. They said new supplies would include dozens of patrol boats to secure the swamps and creeks that form the launching pad for rebel attacks.

A senior Nigerian naval official said Nigeria had “felt let down” by the reluctance of the US military to offer more support and that the Chinese boats were “a very welcome development”.

Analysts say Nigeria wants 200 boats to guard the Delta.

Militant attacks on oil facilities and abductions of foreign oil workers this month have shut down a fifth of Nigeria’s oil production. Both the US and China see Nigeria, the eighth-largest oil exporter, as an important future supplier.

The US government has offered the Nigerian military technical assistance and training, but has provided only four old coastal patrol boats. Nigeria has also ordered 35 smaller high-speed patrol boats from a US company but fewer than half have been received, said a security analyst.

Diplomats and analysts say that concerns over the level of corruption within the Nigerian security forces and human rights violations have made the US reluctant to supply more equipment.

Nigeria accuses militants of funding themselves with stolen oil but many industry officials say military personnel are involved in cartels that sell stolen oil to criminal syndicates.

Stephen Morrison, director of the Africa programme at the Centre for Strategic and International Studies, said the Pentagon had been “hot and cold” about providing military assistance because of difficulties in working with the Nigerian military. “The Chinese are very competitive players and we have to come to terms with that. They are going to places that really do matter.”

While the US has provided some assistance to Nigeria, it has been tempered by Congressional concerns about corruption and human rights issues. Mr Morrison said Washington needed to get more serious about dealing with the Nigerian military and show more concern about Chinese involvement in the country.

China insists it does not use arms sales for diplomatic or political ends, and analysts say Beijing has been willing to approve weapons shipments to almost any willing state buyer.

Nigeria last year signed an $800m deal to supply PetroChina with 30,000 barrels a day of oil. This year, CNOOC, China’s largest offshore producer, agreed to pay $2.3bn for a share in an oil block owned by a former defence minister. Oil industry officials say China is looking to increase its interest in bidding for offshore oil acreage in Nigeria.

news.ft.com/cms/s/ef8dbc30-a7c6-11da-85bc-0000779e2340.html
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:48:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps they need more funding so they can supply The Clique Mob with another Hammer of Dead. I shudder at the possibilities....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I think they're confusing "aid" with "profit from email scamming".

Good, china can have 'em.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I doesn't matter how much cash the PRC sends to that shithole, I could still assemble a cub scout troop to kick the Nigerian's asses.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:56:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Not another dime to Nigeria until I receive my $2.4 Million from the estate of.....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Perhaps they need more funding so they can supply The Clique Mob with another Hammer of Dead. I shudder at the possibilities....

careful ....with that kind of talk they'll surely ded you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top