Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2005 7:17:36 AM EDT
e-mail from my Sister

Hello all,  I just got off the phone with C----- (my daughter for those of you who may not know).  She is still trapped in a three story building in New Orleans with 15 other young people.  They have enough food and water for a week she says, but she was in tears and sounded very worn down and weary.  They have 2 canoes and one boat with a small engine which they used to loot stores for their food and water...she was horrified she had to do this, but also knew she had to to survive.  She says they have to take the guns with them if they go out in the boats, so they want to wait to be rescued, but if they have to they will take the boats to the freeway and walk to where the busses are loading evacuees.  She kept saying, " we've just got to get outta here...we can't stay here any longer."  She's lost everything but what she has with her, which isn't a lot.  Please keep her and her companions in your prayers - pray for their safety from any disease and violence - pray that they are rescued within 24 hours and taken to safety.  I will fly her out here as soon as I know what airport she'll be able to get to.  Your thoughts and prayers will be very appreciated.  God bless you all
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:20:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure going to where the buses are is a good idea. There's 20,000 people inside the dome and as many as 70,000 who have flocked there from all over town. From what I'm hearing, the only people they are gonna take are the ones who was in the dome to begin with.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#2]
She'll get out safe and have some good stories to tell later.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:27:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Hunker down and wait for more help to arrive.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:30:26 AM EDT
[#4]
nightstalker; If it hasn't been done already. someone can call 1-800-323-7233 (Coast Guard Search and Rescue) and give their location in N.O.  The Coast Guard supposedly has taken over control of the S&R end of the operation now.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:30:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Agreed
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Agreed. National Guard presence is going to double by tomorrow. As bad as it seems, at least where she is now she hasn't been bothered, has enough food and water and is surrounded by people she can trust.

I'd rather stay hunkered down there til the good guys can come in and get em out than going from a relatively secured spot (as secure as exists there attm) to one where their weapons will be taken and their supplies looted. And worse, they will no longer be a tight knit group, but among nearly 100,000 people who they don't know or trust.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:34:04 AM EDT
[#7]
wishing her the bst. Hope she can hold on and get out without incident.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Google earth her exact location and see if you can get a fishing boat or something with a GPS in there to them.........hunkering down for a couple more days might be okay but I don't think there is any guarantee it is going to get better soon....it may be worse 3-5 days from now. Either way, keep us up to date, we will definately keep her and loved ones in our prayers..
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:36:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Seeing that some of the people are willing to shoot at the rescue perssonel, I truly hope they are ready and willing to use their guns to defend thier lives if need be, otherwise having the guns doesn't do them any good.

I hope they make it out ok.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:37:31 AM EDT
[#10]
If she has food, water and guns there, she's better there than as a refugee with no guns, with 100K other people that won't be friendly...

Better stay there for a couple of days til the situation gets a little bit more sorted out by the authorities.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:42:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I would be advising her to stay put and not go to the shitdome.  They place is going to get alot worse before it gets better.  Ration your stuff and be prepared to fight off others, she has 15 people with her get to planning and gather as much food and water as possible.  Leave when order has been restored and all those people at the dome have been evacuated.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:42:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep, if they have a group, stay packed in for a couple of days until more ground support arrives. It sucks but better to make the right choice in when to break than to emerge now only to be stuck in a worse situation.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#13]
the phone works there?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:50:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for staying put unitl some force is brought in to put down the savages who are going wild right now.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:51:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Anyone down south have a helo? I guess if you have the money and a pilot that had the nads you could pull it off yourself. Hell, I will pitch in for fuel.

I agree with the stay put folks. Make sure you stress the importance of security reound the clock. As soon as the sores start to run dry, the looters will turn to those that have the food and shelter. I wish there was a way to insert a few poeple to help with security.

CH
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:56:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
nightstalker; If it hasn't been done already. someone can call 1-800-323-7233 (Coast Guard Search and Rescue) and give their location in N.O.  The Coast Guard supposedly has taken over control of the S&R end of the operation now.

Thanks, I passed that on.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My, my, my.

How the ARFCOM worm turns when it is presented with the story of a nice young lady trapped in conditions not of her own making.

Wonder how many other such innocents are trapped in the City that is so reviled by some of you?

With that said, nightstalker, I will earnestly pray for the safe journey and return of your niece to y'all's family.

Staying put, at present, sounds like a great idea.

And try not to call any attention to yourself, while waiting.

There are wolves about.

Eric The(HungryWolves)Hun

Oh I am certain there are more, but this one is part of the extended arfcom family
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed

Best course of action for her given her situation.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
My, my, my.

How the ARFCOM worm turns when it is presented with the story of a nice young lady trapped in conditions not of her own making.

Wonder how many other such innocents are trapped in the City that is so reviled by some of you?

With that said, nightstalker, I will earnestly pray for the safe journey and return of your niece to y'all's family.

There are wolves about.

Oh I am certain there are more, but this one is part of the extended arfcom family

Indeed, she is.

But the point still remains.

Put a human face on it, or some sort of personal connection into this situation...and the same voices that formerly said 'They stayed behind? 'fug'em!' are now singing a very different tune.

See what a little humanity can do for you?

Eric The(Humane)Hun

Well said, Mr. Hun.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:13:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, I'm glad she's safe, I'm glad she has food, water, guns and (sort of) shelter.

I do hope she learns from the experience when told to GET OUT! To get out. Kinda sounds like maybe she has.

Why'd she stick around there anyway??? Why didn't she GTF out?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:31:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Prayers offered for her safety and security.  I'm sure the terror she is going through is horrific.

Patty
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:33:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Indeed, she is.
Put a human face on it, or some sort of personal connection into this situation...and the same voices that formerly said 'They stayed behind? 'fug'em!' will now be singing a very different tune.
Eric The(Humane)Hun

No argument there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Prayers for her and all the other's safety.

and the families of those stranded.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:57:01 AM EDT
[#26]
I've heard of unconfirmed reports of rape in the SilverDome. I think I would advise her to stay put for the mount. It seems like there is some(and I mean some) unsavory people being put on buses.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
My, my, my.

There are wolves about.

Indeed, she is.

Put a human face on it, or some sort of personal connection into this situation...and the same voices that formerly said 'They stayed behind? 'fug'em!' will now be singing a very different tune.

Eric The(Humane)Hun

Or maybe they just have enough tact to not post things like "she didn't leave when she had the chance, so too bad" in a thread where someone is worried about a relative.

Oh wait....this is arfcom....we don't need no stinkin' tact here.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Ok, I'll ask.

Why didn't she get out before Katrina hit the fan (KHTF)?

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#29]
I have no idea what the sequence of events was with my niece.  I imagine it was a little bit of indecision mixed with a bit of denial (of the seriousness).  She had only lived down in New Orleans for a year or so and had no historic perspective on the weather.  I heard a guy talk about warning people about the tsunami and he said the first thing some of them do is go down to the shore to see what it looks like.

Anyway, she and her group have been rescued by the Coast Guard and dropped off on the Interstate.  My sister will be sending her a plane ticket as soon as possible.  All's well that ends well....for some.  Maybe she will come home a conservative.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I have no idea what the sequence of events was with my niece.  I imagine it was a little bit of indecision mixed with a bit of denial (of the seriousness).  She had only lived down in New Orleans for a year or so and had no historic perspective on the weather.  I heard a guy talk about warning people about the tsunami and he said the first thing some of them do is go down to the shore to see what it looks like.

Anyway, she and her group have been rescued by the Coast Guard and dropped off on the Interstate.  My sister will be sending her a plane ticket as soon as possible.  All's well that ends well....for some.  Maybe she will come home a conservative.

Excellent News!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:41:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Best news so far.  Patty
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Glad they made it ok.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#33]
So where has she been taken too???
Houston??
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Is she a student? I've HEARD (on the news) that many students wee told that the college was making "arrangements" to get them out, those who didn't KNOW better, got "stuck" when the college said, "oops, sorry, can't help, you're on your own" those who DID know better made their own evac plans. It's folks like THESE that I feel badly for, and those who couldn't evac ($ or disabiliity/elderly).

Still, you couldn't PAY me enough to live there....

Glad things seem to have worked out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Glad to hear your niece got rescued!

The following is a shameless plug to help out my shipmates in that area. www.cgmahq.org/

help out a hero!

All donations go directly to USCG members that lost everything in the Katrina Hurricane.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top