Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 1:28:45 AM EDT
I currently have a Samsung SPH-i500 and am considering replacing it with the Motorola i605.  A couple things I was wondering are; Have their two networks merged yet (the phone portion not including Nextels walkie talky feature)?  

If so has Nextels call quality improved because of it or stayed the same?

Lastly, do any of you currently have the Nextel i605 (or any other model.), and how reliable is it (are they?)

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:33:17 AM EDT
[#1]
As of a couple of weeks ago, I was told I could not use one phone with the other network.  I have Nextel and wanted a Sprint phone, no go.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:23:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
As of a couple of weeks ago, I was told I could not use one phone with the other network.  I have Nextel and wanted a Sprint phone, no go.

So if I am a Sprint customer in the middle of a contract would it matter if if I bought a Nextel phone and finish out my contract?  I looked at both companies plans and they are exactly the same.

Also, is there a tentitive date as to when Sprint/Nextel will actually be on the same network?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:27:16 AM EDT
[#3]
good question; call them and report back

I would like to ditch my brick of a nextel phone and get a decent phone.   I get the impression you could not do that though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:29:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I would like to ditch my brick of a nextel phone and get a decent phone.   I get the impression you could not do that though.

Will do.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:30:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:32:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So if I am a Sprint customer in the middle of a contract would it matter if if I bought a Nextel phone and finish out my contract?  I looked at both companies plans and they are exactly the same.

Also, is there a tentitive date as to when Sprint/Nextel will actually be on the same network?

For current customers, you can switch to Sprint or Nextel without being hit for termination fee.  You do have to buy the phone in most cases.

If so has Nextels call quality improved because of it or stayed the same?

I would say so - Nextel has always been rock solid for me, I've been a customer for the last six years or so.   The biggest difference I've notice is customer service, they are much better about it.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:37:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm a Sprint customer.  I swapped out the phone I've had since '98 last week.  I wanted a Nextel but was told I could only go with Sprint.  They didn't give me a T.O.T. for the merger.

They wouldn't let you switch?  That's odd - my girlfriend switched from Sprint to Nextel a month or so ago.

You should've been able to switch:

Sprint / Nextel Switch

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:48:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:25:41 AM EDT
[#9]
The technology Nextel and Sprint use for the phones is totally different so you can't use one phone on both networks.  The merger will be complete in the next 2 years and everything is merging over to the Sprint technology.  At that point on it will basically it be Sprint although the Nextel name might exits for branding purposes.  If you are currently a regular Nextel customer, not a Nextel Partners, you can tell them you want to switch to Sprint they will let you switch with no early termination fee as they are now the same company.  Switching to Nextel now is rather pointless as all the effort is going into the Sprint side of the business.  My g/f works at a Nextel call center and knows how all this works.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:31:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The technology Nextel and Sprint use for the phones is totally different so you can't use one phone on both networks.  The merger will be complete in the next 2 years and everything is merging over to the Sprint technology.  At that point on it will basically it be Sprint although the Nextel name might exits for branding purposes.  If you are currently a regular Nextel customer, not a Nextel Partners, you can tell them you want to switch to Sprint they will let you switch with no early termination fee as they are now the same company.  Switching to Nextel now is rather pointless as all the effort is going into the Sprint side of the business.  My g/f works at a Nextel call center and knows how all this works.

Pretty much.
I just want to clarify, we bought Nextel. It was not a merger of equals, thats some feel good bullshit.
We bought'm, end of story.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:32:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thanks for the info, I like Nextel service, and rugged motorola radio/phone, but I never use DC anymore, and I need an unlocked cellphone that I can use witha removeable SIM card for traveling out of the country.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:42:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the info, I like Nextel service, and rugged motorola radio/phone, but I never use DC anymore, and I need an unlocked cellphone that I can use witha removeable SIM card for traveling out of the country.

Cingular and T-Mobile are the only companies that use GSM technology and SIM cards, which is what you need outside the US.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

So your saying those with current Nextel phones will have to buy new ones whenever they do merge Sprint assimilates Nextel, if so that's gotta suck for current Nextel customers.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#14]
*UPDATE* Sprint customer service rep informed me that Nextel is still using Satellites and Sprint is still on towers but the two should be on same network soon.  

Also Nextel users will only have to buy new phone if theirs are extremely old ( i.e. 3-5 years or more), all the newer ones will be usable on the new network although they may not have access to all the availible functions.

It is free for a Sprint customer to change to Nextel and vice-versa so long as you x-fer your current # when you switch.  

Last, the $150 instant-rebate offered on new phones for customers with 2 year old + handsets is only availible towards whichever service your old phone is with (i.e. If you have a Sprint phone and you want a Nextel you have to pay full price, and vice-versa )
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:50:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

as of a few weeks ago if you have a nextel plan/ nextel phone you can switch it all over to sprint. a "friend" of mine did it last week.    huge friggin improvement.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I have Nextel, phone I have is i860, all of nextels phones are motorola and they've all been pretty reliable for me and some of mine have taken alot of abuse.  I was told that sprint and nextel probably wont be on the same network till 2009, which will probably mean more like 2011.. Swapping shouldn't be a problem, you wont be able to just switch and get a free phone you'll have to buy one. Nextel service has been unchanged for me, but its always been pretty reliable in my area.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
*UPDATE* Sprint customer service rep informed me that Nextel is still using Satellites and Sprint is still on towers but the two should be on same network soon.  

Also Nextel users will only have to buy new phone if theirs are extremely old ( i.e. 3-5 years or more), all the newer ones will be usable on the new network although they may not have access to all the availible functions.

It is free for a Sprint customer to change to Nextel and vice-versa so long as you x-fer your current # when you switch.  

Last, the $150 instant-rebate offered on new phones for customers with 2 year old + handsets is only availible towards whichever service your old phone is with (i.e. If you have a Sprint phone and you want a Nextel you have to pay full price, and vice-versa )

That rep was completely mistaken.  Nextel is a terrestial service, just like everyone else (Iridium and a couple others being the exception).  The problem is that Nextel built their network off of the iDEN standard, while Sprint uses CDMA.

That's why one phone won't work on the other network.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cingular and T-Mobile are the only companies that use GSM technology and SIM cards, which is what you need outside the US.

Cingular and T-Mobile are the only services that use GSM for their networks.  However Sprint does have a quad band phone that does CDMA and GSM.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:Cingular and T-Mobile are the only companies that use GSM technology and SIM cards, which is what you need outside the US.

I have a Sprint phone with a GSM and a SIM, I use it all over the world.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not quite correct...  The Nextel i930 is the world phone for Nextel.  Swap sims and enjoy the GSM network.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I just upgraded to the Samsung A900 "Blade" phone on Sprint. It is teH Shi22L3!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not quite correct...  The Nextel i930 is the world phone for Nextel.  Swap sims and enjoy the GSM network.

Cool, Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:Cingular and T-Mobile are the only companies that use GSM technology and SIM cards, which is what you need outside the US.

I have a Sprint phone with a GSM and a SIM, I use it all over the world.

Really.... what model???
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Does it use flash memory cards by chance?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I also have the A900, I used my $150 plus another $50 that the service rep found, plus she gave me cell phone for my wife (one of the freebies).

Now If I could only get rid of the shit I don't want on the phone, especially the graphics.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

It does use a direct USB cable to hook up to your computer though, that's why I bought it.
I can up and down load to a computer directly without having to use some fucked up expensive service.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

It does use a direct USB cable to hook up to your computer though, that's why I bought it.
I can up and down load to a computer directly without having to use some fucked up expensive service.

Nice...

About the graphics you were complaining about, is there no way at all to delet them?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:16:24 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Really.... what model???

Samsung SPH-A790  Quad band
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top