Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2004 5:49:37 AM EDT
I'm thinking I need something a little different and  thought I would ask for some ideas.  Please let me know the pro and cons on these weapons.  I am more familier with the M1A (I have a CMP M1) but know noting about the FAL.

TIA!
Echap
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:51:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:51:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a M1A in the Equipment Exchange section. I like this rifle, just never shoot it.

Ignore the trade for dirt bike part, it's up for sale.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:52:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Dam, I forgot about that canned answer, I should have said "which one should I get first"
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:52:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Different how? Different from an AR? Then get an M1A. Different in caliber, but like an AR? FAL.
Target shooting/long range: M1A
Nasty looking evil gun look: FAL

M1A pros: Trigger, sights, higher potential accuracy
FAL pros: internal design, good ergonomics, cheap mags, adjustable gas system
M1A cons: expensive, SA parts questionable, high-maintainence (to maintain max accuracy)
FAL cons: sights suck. Heavy.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:53:41 AM EDT
[#5]
This question comes up once a week it seems.  

Usually people finish it by saying, "and don't tell me both".

But since you didn't....
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:59:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:17:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By Campybob

both the fal and the m1a are fine devices.

the fal is universal, less costly and you can easily roll your own. the mia can be built/bought from everything from a rack grade plinker to an across the course service rifle.

personally, i would buy a good m1a and build a fal to go with it!.

Oh I never thought about building one.  I just built a noban AK-47 and have done a few AR's over the years, how does a FAL build compare to those?
I know about the FALfiles, but  I jsut never did "Fit" in there.  Is there any FAL building action here?  I like to build evil weapons, you may have just made my mind up, campybob!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:22:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I went with FAL for my choice, but I agonized for probably 6 months before deciding.  A great bit of information about each weapon can be found here on this site in the armory.

BTW,  a simply fantastic discussion about each rifle type can be found in the book by Boston T. Party called "Boston's Gun Bible".  I highly recommend this book when comparing each wepaon.  YMMV, of course.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:26:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Had both.  Just liked the american design more.  I love american made wepons.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:26:28 AM EDT
[#12]
For nostalgia and highpower competetion, get the M1A.

For anything else, get the FAL.

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:27:05 AM EDT
[#13]
For nostalgia and highpower competetion, get the M1A.

For anything else, get the FAL.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top