Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/22/2005 3:03:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2005 3:11:01 AM EDT by 22bad]
If the Muslims got upset about the fake story, they are REALLY not going to like this........

www.recordnet.com/articlelink/052005/news/articles/052005-gn-2.php

Student reports Quran in campus toilet
No suspects or leads in incident at Delta College
By Greg Kane
Record Staff Writer
Published Friday, May 20, 2005

STOCKTON -- A San Joaquin Delta College student discovered a copy of the Quran in a library toilet Wednesday evening, an incident similar to one described in a now-retracted news report that sparked Muslim protests worldwide last week.

Delta police wouldn't release the name of the student, whom they say found the Muslim holy book in the toilet of a second-floor men's bathroom in the library just after 7 p.m. Wednesday. Sgt. Geff Greenwood said the student removed the book from the toilet and placed it on a bathroom shelf before contacting the police.

The scenario mirrors one described in a retracted Newsweek article that led to deadly riots in Afghanistan and protests in other Muslim nations last week. That Newsweek article, citing unidentified sources, claimed interrogators at Guantanamo Bay had flushed a Quran down a toilet to intimidate detainees.

The Quran is the most revered book in Islam. Desecrating it is seen as an offense to Allah.

Word of the discovery spread quickly across the Delta campus Thursday morning. Muslim students said they were more disappointed than angry to learn that someone at school had desecrated the book.
"We have respect for all other religions," said Ramsey Abboushi, a 19-year-old Muslim student. "We can only hope to get that same respect." (SEE BELOW )

Sean Khan, 19, is Muslim but doesn't seriously practice the religion. He still found it upsetting that someone chose to mock another's beliefs in such a way.

"If it was any religious materials, I'd be equally offended," Khan said. "It's just ignorant."

Wade Heath, an 18-year-old Christian student, said Delta is a culturally diverse campus and was surprised to learn about the discovery early Thursday. Heath is a Lutheran but understands why Muslims would be upset by the incident.

"If it was the Bible flushed down the toilet, I'd be angry," Heath said. "It's a total disrespect to somebody's beliefs."

Another Muslim student, Ahmed Falol, 19, said he thought it was probably a copycat of the Newsweek incident.

Greenwood said they would still likely pursue hate-crime charges if the person responsible is found.

Police have no suspects or leads. The book came from the library and is being held as evidence. Remaining copies of the Quran have been placed behind the library desk to prevent it from happening again, Greenwood said.

Abboushi said he doubts the person will ever be found.

"There are 20,000 kids that go to this school," Abboushi said. "They're not going to stop everyone and ask if they desecrated the Quran."

Interesting statement about Islam respecting other religions
Doesn't stand up to a minimal fact check though
Saudi Arabia.......that would be the Birthplace of Islam
(and almost all of the World Trade Center Terrorists)

www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=8272382

Saudi Arabia detains 40 Christians - newspapers
Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:28 AM ET

RIYADH (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia has detained 40 Pakistani Christians for holding prayers at a house in the
Muslim kingdom, where practicising any religion other than Islam is illegal,
newspapers said on Saturday.

A group of men, women and children were attending the service in the capital Riyadh when police raided the house, Al Jazirah newspaper said.

It said authorities also found Christian tapes and books.

Another Saudi daily, Al Yaum, said the raid took place on Friday while a Pakistani preacher was delivering a sermon. It was not clear what measures might be taken against the group.

Saudi authorities were not immediately available to comment.

There are around six million foreigners in the conservative kingdom, which has a population of 23 million, including many Christians from Europe, North America, Asia and other Arab states.

In a rare official rebuke of a close ally last year, Washington accused Saudi Arabia of severe violations of religious freedom.

"Freedom of religion is not recognized or protected under the country's laws and basic religious freedoms are denied to all but those who adhere to the state-sanctioned version of Sunni Islam," the State Department said in an annual report.

Following the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, which were carried out by mainly Saudis, the Gulf Arab state's religious establishment came under sharp criticism by the West for fostering militancy and intolerance of other religions.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:06:54 AM EDT
My heart bleeds for those who are upset.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:08:28 AM EDT
Hate crime charges?

People are very, very strange.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:10:19 AM EDT
Suddenly, I want to go out and buy about 50 Qurans and go find some public toilets........
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:13:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:14:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DoubleFeed:
I still don't understand why people are upset over a book.
Somebody likened it to a person wiping his ass with the Constitution. I wouldn't be upset at the act itself. I WOULD be aggravated if that person was still treated as if anything he said still held any value.

You wipe your ass on the Constitution, we got some fuckin problems.
You wipe your ass on one of those imitation dealy-os, hey, just dont leave it lyin around. I dont wanna be the guy who has to pick it up.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:15:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:16:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Specop_007:

Somebody likened it to a person wiping his ass with the Constitution. I wouldn't be upset at the act itself. I WOULD be aggravated if that person was still treated as if anything he said still held any value.

You wipe your ass on one of those imitation dealy-os, hey, just dont leave it lyin around. I dont wanna be the guy who has to pick it up.

Point for you.
"Copy of the Constitution."

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:19:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Specop_007:

I'm sure that's what he meant. I'd have a problem with someone who damaged the original Qu'ran. I give a rat's ass about their religion but artifacts should be preserved and protected.

Copies of the Koran? Who cares? Copies of the Constitution? Suit yourself.

However, I do have a problem with the desecration of our flag. Flag burning should not be allowed.

Fuck the bullshit nanny seat belt and helmet laws, how about a law that actually means something?!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:45:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sin_Bin:
Hate crime charges?

People are very, very strange.

Here is the guy that made that statement

www.deltacollege.org/dept/police/greenwood.html
Sergeant Geff Greenwood began his law enforcement career when he was hired as a sworn Police Officer with the Delta College Police Department in 1990.

Prior to becoming a police officer, Sergeant Greenwood was hired as a Student Service Officer in 1989. While a student officer, Greenwood attended and graduated from the Delta College Basic Peace Officer Academy and also earned his A.A. degree in Administration of Justice.

In addition to his current assignments, Sergeant Greenwood serves the department in the following roles:

* Background Investigator
* F.T.O. - Field Training Officer
* F.E.T. - Field Evidence Technician
* 11550 - Narcotics Certification

And the dept website

www.deltacollege.org/dept/police/directory.html

Not sure what he meant by Hate Crime?
Just go to the Campus Security Report (Crime Statistics page)
www.deltacollege.org/dept/police/files/Clery.pdf
It explains it clearly on
page 6 of 16

Hate Crimes
Hate violence as defined by law means "any act of physical intimidation or physical harassment, physical force or physical violence, that is directed against any person or
group of persons because of the ethnicity, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, or political\religious beliefs of that person or group"

So......I guess tossing a Bible in the can would also be a Hate Crime
You can learn all sorts of things on the web
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:50:27 AM EDT
I guess if you subject yourself to certain educational institutions, you also subject your self to their by-laws. It's a voluntary thing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:57:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2005 3:59:26 AM EDT by MikeTx]
WTF?

No suspects or leads in incident at Delta College

Why is there a "suspect" wanted? What crime is commited? Just following orders.

I'm gonna go buy some of those books and throw them in public toilets.

However, I do have a problem with the desecration of our flag. Flag burning should not be allowed.

Freedom even applies to acts you don't like.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:58:07 AM EDT
Is this really a "Hate Crime"?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:05:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 22bad:
Is this really a "Hate Crime"?

Every crime is a hate crime by definition. Of course I realize there are thieves who would otherwise help a distressed person, yes. But that thief would take from that same victim. There are also rapists who would risk their own lives saving someone else. The crime they commit doesn't define them entirely.

Yet, the PC crowd defines these things as hate crimes. They are crimes, period. And those crimes should be addressed in accordance with thier severity.

Not that selfless people should get away with petty theft or sexual assaults, but it's kind of hard to call everyone a hater (and by using their definitions, they are all haters).

Punish the act and person not the personality.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:08:01 AM EDT
Just to play the troll but if this shouldn't upset you than the burning of the flag shouldn't upset you guys either.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:13:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By olyarms:
Just to play the troll but if this shouldn't upset you than the burning of the flag shouldn't upset you guys either.

It may upset them but it doesn't upset me. I don't give a damn about Islam. But I would die for the flag.

I would choke someone with the very flag that they set aflame.

It's called cultural egocentrism...and I fully believe in it (as did our founding fathers).
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:23:16 AM EDT

Is burning the Flag also considered a Hate Crime?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:24:00 AM EDT
Note to self:

Apply for Quran vendors permit to sell cheap copies at the next NASCAR event. Request spot just outside of restroom facilities.....I'm gonna be rich.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:26:10 AM EDT

Oly went to bed, but according to that officer's guidlines, yes, it would be.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:37:25 AM EDT

Copies of the Koran? Who cares? Copies of the Constitution? Suit yourself.

Whats the difference. That flag replica was probably made in the R.O.C. by some atheist heathen kommunist anyway.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:47:26 AM EDT

Oly went to bed, but according to that officer's guidlines, yes, it would be.

Looks like the School Policy IS based on California State Law
Closest applicable section is in blue, doesn't look like this case qualifies as a Hate Crime to me
But, clogging up a toilet would probably be a crime, same with destroying a library book
(Flag Burning would not be a Hate Crime because it is not a religious symbol)
da.co.la.ca.us/hate/hcdefined.htm#statutes

California Hate Crimes Statutes
Felonies

P.C. 422.7 – Commission of a crime for the purpose of interfering with another’s exercise of civil rights.
P.C. 594.3 – Vandalism of place of worship based on racial or religious bias.
P.C. 11412 – Threats obstructing exercise of religion.
P.C. 11413 – Use of destructive device or explosive or commission of arson in certain places.
Misdemeanors

P.C. 302 – Disorderly conduct during an assemblage of people gathered for religious worship at a tax-exempt place of worship.
P.C. 422.6 – Use of force, threats or destruction of property to interfere with another’s exercise of civil rights.
P.C. 422.9 – Violation of civil order (Bane Act) protecting the exercise of civil rights.
P.C. 538(c) – Unauthorized insertion of advertisements in newspapers and redistribution to the public.
P.C. 640.2 – Placing handbill, notice or advertisement on a consumer product or product package without authorization.
P.C. 11411 – Terrorism of owner or occupant of real property. Placement or display of sign, symbol or other physical impression without authorization, engagement in pattern of conduct, or burning or desecration of religious symbols.
Enhancements

P.C. 190.2(a)(16) – Special circumstances imposing the Death Penalty or Life Without possibility of Parole if the victim was intentionally killed because of race, color, religion, nationality, country of origin.
P.C. 190.3 – Special circumstances imposing Life Without possibility of Parole if the victim was intentionally killed because of sexual orientation, gender or disability.
P.C. 422.75 – Penalty for felony committed because of victim’s race, color, religion, nationality, country of origin, ancestry, disability or sexual orientation shall be enhanced one, two or three years in prison, if the person acts alone; and 2, 3 or 4 years if the person commits the act with another.
Note: If the criminal offense was not committed because of bias, an appropriate criminal charge can nonetheless be filed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:39:37 PM EDT
According to these people
www.civilrights.org/index.html
More than 69% of religion-based hate crimes are directed against Jews and their institutions
www.civilrights.org/issues/census/details.cfm?id=26204

"The 2003 FBI hate crime data, released today and collected under the mandate of the 1990 Hate Crime Statistics Act (HCSA), documented 7,489 hate crimes in 2003 - just slightly more than the 7,462 hate crimes reported by the FBI in 2002. The report documented over 1,300 religion-based crimes - more than 69 percent directed against Jews and Jewish institutions."

Hmmm.......most religious hate crimes are directed against Jews......not Muslims
For some reason this case has made me remember the hoax hate crimes
Where the victim of the hate crimes turned out to be the perpetrator
(unfortunately I can't search for the four media links I provided)
Top Top