Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 3/14/2011 12:14:51 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/14/2011 12:54:10 PM EST by Gloftoe]
Newsweek lobbies for extended mag ban...

http://www.newsweek.com/2011/03/13/2-405-shot-dead-since-tucson.print.html

2,405 Shot Dead Since Tucson
Since the shooting of Gabrielle Giffords in Arizona, the number of Americans killed by guns has not let up. How a court ruling and Dick Cheney have given Obama a chance he should take.
by Andrew Romano and Pat WingertMarch 13, 2011
Charles Ommanney / Getty Images

Photos: Surviving the Massacre & 'Living for 32'
Surviving the Massacre & 'Living for 32'

On a snowy Wednesday evening in February, the main attraction on the marquee at the Lyric Theatre in Blacksburg, Va., was True Grit, the Coen Brothers’ bloody homage to the shoot-’em-up Westerns of Hollywood’s Golden Age. But the movie playing inside had a very different message to send.

Four years ago, on April 16, 2007, Colin Goddard was one of 49 people shot by Seung-Hui Cho in Virginia Tech’s Norris Hall, a mere 1,000 yards from the Lyric Theatre—and one of only 17 who survived. Shortly after 9 a.m., Cho forced his way into Goddard’s French class, firing on the teacher and then methodically stalking the aisles, pumping an estimated 200 bullets from his Glock 19 and Walther .22 into every student he could see. Goddard was hit four times: twice in the hips, once in the right shoulder, once in the left knee.

Edited, CC#10 -G
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:17:56 PM EST
I agree. Liberal magazines should be limited to ten pages or less. No one needs more bullshit that that concentrated in one place at any one time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:19:59 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:20:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/14/2011 12:20:31 PM EST by patriot73]
William Randolf Hearst would be proud of their yellow journalism.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:23:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/14/2011 12:40:09 PM EST by TheYellowThing]
Fuck 'em

eta: Is there really a gun known as the Mach 11?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:26:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/14/2011 12:26:45 PM EST by TrojanMan]
Wow. Newsweek fluffs itself.

Oh, keep paying attention to this issue and reading, because there are a lot of people who will be saying things and there will be others who will write what they say! It's going to be so great! News is going to happen, people! Yaaaaaay!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:26:35 PM EST
I think we should lobby for more regulation of the media.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:27:06 PM EST
"Loughner-style clips"

Seriously?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:30:53 PM EST
I thought Newsweek was bankrupt and for the most part, irrelevant?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:36:48 PM EST
Colin Goddard is making money off the deaths of 32 people. He is a paid employee of the Brady Campaign.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:37:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By Thuban:
I agree. Liberal magazines should be limited to ten pages or less. No one needs more bullshit that that concentrated in one place at any one time.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:39:19 PM EST
Obama should get behind it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:43:37 PM EST
Funny how "gun control advocates" are now called "gun safety advocates". The "liberals"––oops, I mean "progressives" keep changing the names of things in order to confuse people and hide their agendas.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:47:40 PM EST
They did the same thing in the 1980's after Pres. Reagan and again after the McDonald's San Ysidro shooting.

Good thing their new ownership group has not changed the magazine....
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:32:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By SWS:

It got sold off for $1 and assumption of all the debt. Forgot who the new owner is because I could really give a shit; but the new editor is Tina Brown, who besides having strong Hillary love, has already presided over the death of several other "newsmagazines," so I take that as a good sign.

As far as the article, dumb article, dumb idea. Gun control always polls well - typically because the ideas in the poll are vague and non-specific (limit super killing magazines? Sure.). It is when they propose legislation and the poor bastard who was polled finds out that all of his magazines are "super killing magazines" that things go south for them. There are millions upon millions of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds in the U.S. - you are going to break a lot of eggs trying to make that omelet and only an idiot who wasn't seeking reelection would add that to his "to do" list given the current challenges facing us; but you can always hope they try - especially with a House that has 265 A-Rated members in it.

Standard thinking for too much of publishing these days - write a contrarian article advocating a stupid idea on the basis that the common wisdom is wrong and then enjoy all the attention you get as people laugh at your stupidity. You might not win any Pulitzers; but it does brings eyes you can show to advertisers.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:45:56 PM EST
Time, Newsweek etc. have lost their hold on the news cycle. They are has beens. In short, who cares what their editors spew.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:48:52 PM EST

I thought somebody bought them out for a dollar.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:56:58 PM EST
I actually found a torn in half copy of newsweek stuffed into the seat back pocket on a recent plane flight. It looked to be about 30 pages thick.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:58:12 PM EST
Yes like a magazine that made Hitler man of the year has any credibility.

Asshats!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:11:30 PM EST
Come and take em!! out of my cold dead fingers.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:14:06 PM EST
Coooommme giit em
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:15:14 PM EST
Newsweek; circling the drain of periodical oblivion since the internet was born.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:20:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By ohiobr:
"Loughner-style clips"

Seriously?

Oh man.

That's what all of my 33 rounders are getting called now.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:31:20 PM EST
Washington Post liberal rag sold Newsweek to liberal hag Tina Brown for $1 http://www.businessinsider.com/tina-brown-newsweek-kathleen-parker-2011-3
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:34:46 PM EST

NEWSWEEK - 2,405 Shot Dead Since Tucson
Newsweek. Heh.

I wonder how many it is once we remove:

Criminals shot by police

Criminals shot by citizens (lawfully)

Suicides (call me callous but I don't care)

Accidents

Criminals shot by other criminals (boo hoo)

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:35:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/14/2011 3:36:30 PM EST by ProCCW]
I think "all" democrats should get behind a ban. (re: 94 Clinton gun ban.)

We could use more seats in the house and senate.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:50:09 PM EST

Pretty much. As I recall, the Washington Post publishing group pretty much sold it to someone else for a $1 just to be rid of it's money losing ass.

That's right a $1.

Arfcom should have done a group buy, started publishing it as a full color version of GD.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:54:14 PM EST
Time and Newsweek are a joke.

30 years ago when I was in school this was about all we could get.

But with the Internet today and all the varied sources for news and information, the days of Time and Newsweek are OVER.

These rags are biased, and often just downright wrong. They're a joke.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:57:11 PM EST
I wonder why many newspapers and magazines continue to go out of business? Tier 1 reporting at Newsweek. I may subscribe next year.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:59:39 PM EST
Originally Posted By mattja:

But with the Internet today and all the varied sources for news and information, the days of Time and Newsweek are OVER.

These rags are biased, and often just downright wrong. They're a joke.

Not really news but more of a news recap. With added opinions.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:03:09 PM EST
Newsweak pulled the same crap after Columbine.

Here toy go:

http://www.mrc.org/notablequotables/1999/nq19990823.asp

Crippling Fraternity of the Gun

"America, or at least the sensible center where most of us stand, has had enough –– of this senseless violence, and of this circular debate. For more than a generation, we’ve watched as the great and the pedestrian have died in the line of fire. Though it won’t do to act as though, in the emotional aftermath of yet another shooting, a sweeping ban or a single bill will keep more tragedies from happening, it also won’t do to shrug off the deadly role guns play. So what must be done? It is time, as Franklin Roosevelt said long ago, to try something...."
–– From Newsweek’s August 23 editorial urging more gun controls, only its fourth editorial ever.

"Many ordinary Americans have also become caught up in the cult of the gun. For them, it is not a jarring source of violence but as much an accepted part of the landscape as forests and rivers. Such people often resist controls over the objects they revere. But human beings are capable of modifying their own mythologies. After the tragedies in Littleton, Colo.; Atlanta, and now Los Angeles, Americans have shown signs of a change in their feelings about guns, seeing them increasingly as more dangerous than sacred. That kind of collective psychological shift is necessary if we are ever to transcend the crippling fraternity of the gun."

–– Conclusion to uncountered piece in the August 23 Newsweek by Professor Robert Jay Lifton of John Jay College at the City University of New York.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:21:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By mattja:

I remember back around the time the assault weapons bill passed, in '94. Time and Newsweek were cheering it on, and telling outlandish lies to help it happen. They could get away with it because they and their ilk had a stranglehold on the media.

Well, fuck you, assholes. Gun owners are still standing strong and you're a failed industry.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:31:46 PM EST
I'd like to lobby for an extended newseek ban.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:36:01 PM EST
Objective journalism is for suckas.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:48:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/14/2011 4:49:21 PM EST by Tango7]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:34:49 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:45:27 PM EST
Originally Posted By Thuban:
Aw shucks, you took mine. There's something ironic about a magazine campaigning for a "magazine ban".
Top Top