Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/24/2004 2:23:46 PM EST
I honestly don't watch much TV and I stay away from most newspapers, but this evening I actually turned on our TV to find out that another newspaper has endorsed Bush. I am obviously out of the loop, so can someone explain why the heck these papers are endorsing either candidate when they are supposed to be presenting the news, not their opinion. Is this a normal thing that I just have never noticed?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:33:52 PM EST
normal
papers always do it
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:37:20 PM EST
The press is largly a propoganda industry.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:37:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By sharky30:
normal
papers always do it

That doesn't explain the "why" part of the question.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:43:28 PM EST
The managing editor of most newspapers have free reign to render their opinion in most all newspapers. The idea is that the paper is free from any form of "state control" as allowed by the Bill of Rights. The free press is a very important feature of a free society.

Any media outlet is free to add any spin that it wants to. You must always draw information from many different sides to form YOUR own opinion on any matter.

BTW, my local paper endorsed Bush this year.

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:44:35 PM EST
Read in the local paper today taht they are indorsingsKerry.

I am calling tomorrow and canceling it and then calling the editor and telling him where to stick his paper.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 2:49:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By PVFD304:
The managing editor of most newspapers have free reign to render their opinion in most all newspapers. The idea is that the paper is free from any form of "state control" as allowed by the Bill of Rights. The free press is a very important feature of a free society.

Any media outlet is free to add any spin that it wants to. You must always draw information from many different sides to form YOUR own opinion on any matter.

BTW, my local paper endorsed Bush this year.

Interesting...I am well aware that there is a spin on everything, but I have no idea how I missed this before. I haven't read a newspaper in years, but did hear from my mom that the Indy Star has endorsed Bush as well. Thanks for the info.
Top Top