Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/24/2005 5:22:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 5:28:30 AM EDT by M4-AK]
These offerings will be in addition to their domestically produced firearms.

Check out the transcript from Remington's 2nd Quarter 2005 conference call for details:

http://www.remington.com/aboutus/investor

Here are the most notable quotes:

"...we’re in serious negotiations with several new global partners that we believe will enable an expansion of our successful importing project by the end of the year. Our new partners bring both opening price point products as well as upper-end products to our 2006 product offering."

"We do not believe these products should have any cannibalizing affect on existing domestically produced firearms nor do we believe there will be any revenue or earnings implications in 2005 associated with these expansions."

"As you know we are primarily a participant in the bolt action center file rifle market, the pump shot gun market and the semi-automatic shotgun market. There are many other segments in the firearms business for hunting. There are single shot shotguns, over and under shotguns, side by sides, muzzle loaders, upper-end over and unders, upper-end side by sides. A whole array of products that we do not participate in."

"I wouldn’t even venture to guess the size of all those markets sitting here on the fly. But they’re significant. And we’ve adopted a strategy that says if we’re going to have customers from their first gun when their father or mother buys them their first gun until they quit hunting in their 60s or 70s. All the way through their age and earning cycle we want them to have a Remington as a choice."

"Well some of those things we - some of those products make no sense for us to capitalize to produce because of global realities. So we’ve been really successful in finding partners that will bring a great muzzle loader product to bear (sic) for us next year."

"Upper-end over and under shotguns. A new family of center fire rifles that offer a different kind of action than we use. And on and on. A resurrection of a great old brand name that the company owns. Ultra-expensive guns. Opening price point 22-caliber rifles."

"So we’d rather not disclose just how big we think that business is because we’re still in negotiations with some of our partners for next year. But I think it’s - suffice to say it’s going to have a meaningful impact on the company."

Personally I love my Baikal/Spartan. How else would an american firearms maker sell an O/U for $350.00.....

M4-AK
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:26:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 5:27:53 AM EDT by Dolomite]
It'd be nice if they chose to get more into the personal security line of autoloaders. 3-gun in USPSA is really taking off too - Remy shotguns are not the most favored.

Sure their pumps and bolts rule, but their semi's are not the best by a long shot.

Are they really afraid of having their hunting core put off by pistol grips and extended magazines?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:49:42 AM EDT
Unfortunately, there are a lot of good 2nd world firearms out there now. Hard for America to compete with cheap labor.

M4--AK
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:25:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dolomite:
It'd be nice if they chose to get more into the personal security line of autoloaders. 3-gun in USPSA is really taking off too - Remy shotguns are not the most favored.

Remingtons dominate the local 3 Gun matches I go to, maybe up to 90%?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:34:30 PM EDT
Aren't the shotguns going to be the EAA/Saiga/Baikal over and unders?

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:39:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BobCole:

Remingtons dominate the local 3 Gun matches I go to, maybe up to 90%?

They make an appearence up here too - but I wouldn't say their performance dominates in terms of reliability. Some guys will have to clear a malfunction every other string - and when you mention something along the lines of "Might be time to order some new o-rings." They'll look at you and say "o-rings? for what?"
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:40:01 PM EDT
Are they going to carry the saiga rifles also?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:54:24 PM EDT
I wonder why big green has never placed a product into the "defense" market. Certainly they could cheaply make Ak barrels and Ar-15 lower recievers. Or for that matter, they could single handly launch a Sig or Steyr licensed copy. Hunting is a dying sport, "shooting" is a growing sport.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:11:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bhart89:
Aren't the shotguns going to be the EAA/Saiga/Baikal over and unders?

Some at the lower price point will be. Obviously their more upscale imports will NOT be from there. Some Turkish gunmakers are turning out most excellent side by side and over unders. Yes, Turkey.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:12:30 PM EDT

They make an appearence up here too - but I wouldn't say their performance dominates in terms of reliability. Some guys will have to clear a malfunction every other string

I'm lucky then, I've not had any problems. Of course, mine is fairly new, less than 300rds thru it so far.

Any thoughts on what rd count I should look at replacing the o-rings? I shoot mild dove loads, mostly.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:15:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By enemy:

Hunting is a dying sport, "shooting" is a growing sport.

Sad, but true. However, I don't see Remington jumping on the bandwagon of sport guns as they're much like the "shotgun shooters": they could care less about the black rifle crowd, IMO.

I would like to see them reintroduce their SA revolvers as an option to the Vaquero's. Won't happen though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:17:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:00:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Aimless:

Originally Posted By enemy:
I wonder why big green has never placed a product into the "defense" market. Certainly they could cheaply make Ak barrels and Ar-15 lower recievers. Or for that matter, they could single handly launch a Sig or Steyr licensed copy. Hunting is a dying sport, "shooting" is a growing sport.

Very P/C/pro ducks and deer anti scary guns management.

Its counter productive. Peope that don't like guns typically don't like hunting.
Top Top