Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2005 11:02:16 AM EDT
I have a cousin who pastors a small church in Baton Rouge, ministering to the deaf.  I thought I'd share a couple emails he sent out.

Sep 03, 2005

Greetings from the war zone..of Louisiana. It is unbelievable. I broke the law yesterday by sneaking into New Orleans and bringing people off the I-10 overpass there by the superdome..they had been without food, or water till yesterday, and literally hundreds were begging me to take them with me...but I could only fit 28 in my van.... Where is the government////??????????????? If I can why couldn't they.. passed literally hundreds of busses parked in a truck stop while literally people are dying there. The excuse they say is red tape....

We are responsible to feed a shelter supper tomorrow night.. which is fun since we only have four adults in the church... the rest are kids and teens. Several families only have the clothes on their backs and the need is overwhelming... I cannot begin to adequately describe what I saw sneaking into New Orleans...the TV cannot let you understand. We are a third world nation here. I am doing my best to try to meet the needs of people but it is beyond what I can imagine. Good thing we serve a BIG GOD. Well I better close for now and get BUSY . God bless

Sep 07, 2005

Hi Jim

Hi from Baton Rouge. We are involved in ministry mainly to the kids and teens at the school for the deaf. We have only 4 adult members. We have been thrust into the relief effort for the evacuees from the hurricane & flood. We have one family living in the church and are involved in feeding and meeting the spiritual needs of the evacuees living in a shelter. The needs are so many and varied we have spent all the funds in the church and personally to try to meet the needs. We have purchased things as wide ranging as a generator to toothbrushes and things in between.

I was involved in rescuing people from the I 10 by the Superdome cramming 28 in my fifteen passenger van I will share the story when I get the chance. It is so awesome to see God work as we rescued those who had lost everything to the flood... had suffered for three days without food or water on top of the hot interstate ...sitting on laps not one complaint on the two hour trip out of there but all were saying Thank you Jesus...we are truly blessed.....I too have been blessed to be His hands extended to those in need. Well, better close for now. There is much more to do tomorrow.  As far as the needs, we need finances to do more to reach more needs with the love of Jesus... and more than that we need your prayers.. It is emotionally draining and physically exhausting...

His church is one of hundereds, or probably thousands, reaching out and serving the needs of the people affected by Katrina.

I ask my friends here for prayer that he and others in this work receive the wisdom, strength, patience, guidance, and yes, the funds, they need to continue in this overwhelming task.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#1]
There's a lot of selfless work being done right now for those folks.

I sure hope they appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Charity is where you find the unity Our Lord prayed to his Father to give his followers.

Acts like this are a powerful sign that the Spirit is at work in our hearts, motivating us to come together in times of need, helping those who can't help themselves.

I praise the Lord for the good deeds these brothers are doing and pray for their success in feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick etc. being light and salt and a city on a mountain top for those who are in darkness.

Keep up the Godly work!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Did the bring weapons? I'd hate for good people to get hurt/killed by hoodlums while doing good work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top