Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 5:28:43 AM EDT
I'm going to be spending sometime in Newport News at Ft. Eustis courtesy of Uncle Sam and the state of New York. Was just looking for some ideas for things to do. Must see museums, good restaraunts, places to avoid etc..
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Mariners Museum, dinner in one of the Taverns at Colonial Williamsburg, Petersburg and Richmond and many other VA Civil War battlefields are all within easy driving distance.

There is a new (relatively) museum of the Civil War Soldier up in Petersburg.  Haven't been there because I didn't have the time, but I've hear it is worth seeing.  They also have a driving tour that follows Lees Retreat from Petersburg to Appomattox that is a neat trip if you are a Civil War buff.

Your close enough to make weekend trips up to DC,  you can probably drive up to the nearest Metro Station, park free on weekends, and get a Metro Weekend Pass and get all over easily and quickly.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:47:57 AM EDT
[#2]
PA,
Thanks for the response. Will definitely look into the museums . I've set this lofty goal of staying on post for myself so that I stay out of trouble i.e. drinking and all that follows. Having constructive things to do on the weekend should help.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:50:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out the VA hometown forum

We don't bite!

ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=24
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:04:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Fiend,
Thanks for thesuggestion. I get a  bit of  tunnel vision at times, as I don't usually post or read the hometown forums, I didn't even think about them, but I will definitely be posting this over there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:05:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Yorktown Battle Field is just down the road from Eustis.......................Check out G.I Joes if it is still there too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:31:03 AM EDT
[#6]
That's some pretty country out there... I was in NN to look at a helicopter at the airport this past year, even in Sept. it was green and luscious there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#7]
All kinds of things to do here.  If you don't mind me asking, what are you coming to Eustis for?  I work on post and may have some dealing with you depending on the situation.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:34:26 AM EDT
[#8]
bytor,
Will be attending school to reclass as a 15tango.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:38:36 AM EDT
[#9]
nice little war museum across the bay, has lots of guns
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Tagged for home.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
bytor,
Will be attending school to reclass as a 15tango.

A Tango?  Hawks ain't got big guns on them.

IM me with your class date and stuff, I work next to the Hawks and maybe I can get you to the range or something.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yorktown Battle Field is just down the road from Eustis.......................Check out G.I Joes if it is still there too.

LOL - I used to ride my bike up to GI Joe's when I was a kid.

Like bytor94 said, lots to do around the Eustis area.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top