Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/15/2015 6:10:12 PM EDT

McQuestion's family said they hope sharing her story will help prevent other deaths from flu-related sepsis.

"If this can help just one family avoid this, then it's not in vain," McQuestion's mother said. "She loved her job. She was so happy. It's just heartbreaking to know what could have been for her."

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#1]
That sucks.  Pretty girl.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Jesus.

That's crazy.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Very scary. That could have happened to anyone. Cute girl too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Savage says it's because she got the flu shot
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#5]
sad situation, prayers for family.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Flu shot doesn't work this year. Every flu positive patient in need of an ICU stay this year has had a flu shot already.

Sad to hear about the young lady though. Some people have some crazy reactions.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Poor girl.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#8]
That's shitty.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Scary shit.

I was in the ICU New Years Eve 2013 with Menigitis and BOTH Flu A & B.

Took 8 EMTs and two LARGE sherrifs to remove me from my house as i was (apparently) acting like a caged animal.

They did a spinal tap to confirm the meningitis. Put me in a medical coma. I had about 7 ivs in me with some serious antibiotics being pumped in. I was also intubated.

After i came out of the coma i had lost 30 pounds in 7 days.

Infectious diseases doctor who saved my life came and shook my hand and said they almost lost me. Twice.

Took me a week and a half of rehab to walk again normally.

I am better but still have some side effects from it.

Not fun.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Doc friend  tells me there have be 26 flu-deaths here locally.  Some were kids.

I'm the only one in my  family to NOT get it this year,  I'm also the only one with a flu shot.   Had 9 relatives down with it at one time to  include the wife.  EVERYONE caught it from  my aunt within  just a couple  of days over Christmas.  She got it from an ER visit for a broken foot. Scary as hell to see.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:39:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Scary shit.

Took 8 EMTs and two LARGE sherrifs to remove me from my house as i was (apparently) acting like a caged animal.

They did a spinal tap to confirm the meningitis. Put me in a medical coma. I had about 7 ivs in me with some serious antibiotics being pumped in. I was also intubated.

Infectious diseases doctor who saved my life came and shook my hand and said they almost lost me. Twice.

Not fun.

View Quote

Holy fuck dude... Glad you made it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:40:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Savage is a  brain-dead moron.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Scary shit.

Not fun.

Thanks.

It was close there for a while.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Something similar happened to my MIL. She arrived here on Friday, went to a high school football game with us and went to the car, said she was cold. Retired early Sunday night. Monday I took her to the doc inna box which sent her directly to the hospital. Pseudomonas. Died Wednesday.

5 yo here recently bit by a brown recluse. Died a few days later.

With all the advances in medicine your number can still come up unexpectedly.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Sometimes infections go sideways really fast.  You just never know.  I know a lady who got "flesh eating bacteria" from a scratch to her midsection.  She lost most of the flesh from her collar bone area to her waist and spent about a month in an induced coma while the doctors did everything they could to contain the infection and keep her organs functioning.  Mortality really sucks sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Flu shot doesn't work this year. Every flu positive patient in need of an ICU stay this year has had a flu shot already.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had documented vaccine-indifferent influenza - the first case one bad flu season. It was just about the sickest I ever remember being. It was 2 days before I even felt like sitting up enough to watch TV or use a tablet. The health system's chief medical officer let me know I'd been discussed in infection/public health rounds.

Real flu can be scary because it can knock off otherwise healthy young people. Glad you made it, bulldog.

Also clarification on the article: she wasn't a physician radiologist. She was a tech.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sometimes infections go sideways really fast.  You just never know.  I know a lady who got "flesh eating bacteria" from a scratch to her midsection.  She lost most of the flesh from her collar bone area to her waist and spent about a month in an induced coma while the doctors did everything they could to contain the infection and keep her organs functioning.  Mortality really sucks sometimes.
View Quote

Worked a suspicious death of a 55 YO male, died of sepsis after eating oysters.  They contained flesh eating bacteria and  he was a diabetic. Went from dinner to dead in about 5 hours.  His entire abdomen was turned into bloody goo.  The public health guys got really  excitable over that one.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Scary shit.

Not fun.

+1

Wow.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#20]
"Katie McQuestion, a 26-year-old radiologist from Kenosha, Wisconsin, got
a flu shot to comply with hospital policy and had no underlying medical
conditions, but she caught the flu and developed a serious complication
from it: sepsis. She died on Jan. 2."
Fuck that noise. No job is worth dying for.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
McQuestion's family said they hope sharing her story will help prevent other deaths from flu-related sepsis.

"If this can help just one family avoid this, then it's not in vain," McQuestion's mother said.
"She loved her job. She was so happy. It's just heartbreaking to know what could have been for her."
View Quote

So are they saying that she received the live attenuated influenza vaccine, became ill with viral influenza despite a presumably healthy immune system, and died from cytokine storm?  

Or that she became septic from a superimposed bacterial pneumonia after she became ill with viral influenza from the vaccine?  

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Both of my kids had it.  It's some bad stuff, and I can see how it could easily get out of hand.  I thought my son was in for a trip to the hospital, but Tamiflu works!

Very sad about the girl.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Poor thing that's really unfortunate.
May she rest in Peace.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I had sepsis a couple years ago , it really sucked.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So are they saying that she received the live attenuated influenza vaccine, became ill with viral influenza despite a presumably healthy immune system, and died from cytokine storm?  

Or that she became septic from a superimposed bacterial pneumonia after she became ill with viral influenza from the vaccine?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"If this can help just one family avoid this, then it's not in vain," McQuestion's mother said.
"She loved her job. She was so happy. It's just heartbreaking to know what could have been for her."

This years vaccine does not work
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#26]
that is sad
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I ain't leaving the fucking house.

I'm a near OCD hand washer too.

Any time I come back from shopping etc. right to the sink.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
"Katie McQuestion, a 26-year-old radiologist from Kenosha, Wisconsin, got a flu shot to comply with hospital policy and had no underlying medical conditions, but she caught the flu and developed a serious complication from it: sepsis. She died on Jan. 2."

Fuck that noise. No job is worth dying for.
View Quote

And it's all for marketing. A hand washing campaign for employees would do more good.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#29]
OP, I sat in a faculty meeting yesterday evening and one of the other professors came in looking "white as a sheet" and coughing.  

He told me he has had the flu for more than three weeks and cannot shake it.

He has taken two different courses of antibiotics under his doctor's guidance.

He also got the flu after taking the free flu shot that the university offered faculty and students.  

I NEVER take the flu shots even though I am older now.

I do take probiotics and other health supplements and I avoid white sugar and junk food.  

So far, I have been sick one day in the last four years.  

I do have an occasional German beer or glass of German white wine though - nobody's perfect.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Influenza is transmitted three ways including airborne:

Influenza can be spread in three main ways: by direct transmission (when an infected person sneezes mucus directly into the eyes, nose or mouth of another person); the airborne route (when someone inhales the aerosols produced by an infected person coughing, sneezing or spitting) and through hand-to-eye, hand-to-nose, or hand-to-mouth transmission, either from contaminated surfaces or from direct personal contact such as a hand-shake.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#31]

What a shame.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I have not gotten it yet this year but I am sure it is coming. It didn't hit me until February last year either.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OP, I sat in a faculty meeting yesterday evening and one of the other professors came in looking "white as a sheet" and coughing.  

He also got the flu after taking the free flu shot that the university offered faculty and students.  

I do take probiotics and other health supplements and I avoid white sugar and junk food.  

I do have an occasional German beer or glass of German white wine though - nobody's perfect.
View Quote

You don't take antibiotics for the flu.  Have a Twinkie.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand a bit about how a virus propagates John but said professor's doctor put him on antibiotics none the less - and no, they are NOT helping.  

Watch out driving in that Austin traffic down there.   I loved living in Austin but that traffic.  Wow.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Worked a suspicious death of a 55 YO male, died of sepsis after eating oysters.  They contained flesh eating bacteria and  he was a diabetic. Went from dinner to dead in about 5 hours.  His entire abdomen was turned into bloody goo.  The public health guys got really  excitable over that one.
View Quote

and here I thought hepatitis was the risk. I had a dozen Christmas day.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The vast majority of patients who die from influenza do so from the secondary bacterial infection . . . which responds to antibiotics.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Weiner says a lot of stupid things.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you tell him that his doctor is a fucking retard?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#39]
That's sad.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Viral infection -----> Superimposed bacterial infection -----> Antibiotics

It's not your fault.  We take in-depth classes in virology, microbiology, immunology, etc so it's simply because you aren't educated on the subject.  It also doesn't help that reporters are ignorant on virtually any technical topic and therefore do little to educate the public.  Heck, they can't even get the facts straight.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not necessarily.  While antibiotics won't do shit against the flu virus, they can kick the shit out of other things like pneumonia...which is the kind of thing that leads to sepsis...which is what lead to the story starting this thread.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:30:26 PM EDT
[#42]
It's almost inconceivable that in 2015 a 26 year old healthy American could go from well to dead in 5 days from the flu or whatever infection.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:37:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The vast majority of patients who die from influenza do so from the secondary bacterial infection . . . which responds to antibiotics.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tanker loads of vasopressors and resuscitation fluids help, too. I still remember when we thought Xigris was going to revolutionize sepsis.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Tanker loads of vasopressors and resuscitation fluids help, too. I still remember when we thought Xigris was going to revolutionize sepsis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, a well-staffed, well-stocked ICU helps.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#45]
4 aces and a kicker (dbl/dbl bonus poker) down the tubes.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#47]
My dad died from pneumonia caused by the flu. Only 52. It can happen.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:00:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but he might not be this time. There is a segment of the population that have negative reactions to vaccines...
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#49]
"We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blond who

Comes on at five

She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam

In her eye"

How do those newscasters stay all happy when reporting this stuff?  I had the sound off, but she could have been telling about her new puppy and looked the same.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#50]
We just had two patients who were on ECMO because of the flu, it definitely ain't no joke.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top