Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2001 9:55:46 AM EDT
I just got my AR last weekend, first one since my preban Colt I sold before the bans began in the 80's/90's.

Anyway, what kind of mags do I use on a postban?  I know about the surplus ones, I have one surrplus, and one refurbished surplus.  What about the Thermolds that Bushmaster adverises on their site, are the legal and if so are they reliable?

Also, what's the best, cheapest Ammo (that I can get at a show or gun shop)?  I mean best overall for shooting, not necessarily accuracy, as I will use that only at the range, but I am also interested in what's most accurate.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know the Thermolds are legal (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  My local gunshop sells them too, but I have heard if the gun gets too hot they will melt.  I have no personal experience with them however.  I'd just stick with good used GI mags.  As for the ammo, go to the ammo forum, there's lots of good info.

brian73
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Are the Thermolds as reliable as the GI surplus?
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes. Thermolds are just as reliable and are excellent mags that stay looking great for a long time (good prices for new US Thermolds are $15-19).  Thermolds will only melt under continous full auto fire reloading that same mag over and over, you won't experience any such problem in a semi-auto rifle. USGI mags are the best but finding mags with alot of finish remaining at a good price can be hard if shopping locally (good prices for 80% - new USGI are $14-25).  Look for both types of mags here at AR15.com over in the Equipment Exchange forums.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Once you let the bolt carrier trim the excess from the top, I've had nothing but good luck with Thermolds. Well... almost... see next point. The melting issue was a Canadian plastic mix in extended FA, not the US formulation.

The USGI mags will fit in most every lower regardless of how they're cut. The Thermolds have a lip that seals it into the base of the mag well. If the bevel on your mag well is not cut right this lip can keep it from going in far enough to lock in place. Most lowers will not have this problem. You'll want to test fit one before nuying any.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys!  I might give the Thermold a try, it looks pretty sharp, too.

Now all these are legal on a postban, right?
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, perfectly legal unless you lived in a State like California that has banned the selling or trading of hi-caps (still legal to own what you had before the ban was enacted).  You're in TX, if ain't a hi-cap then it ain't squat!!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys!  I hope to have many good experiences with my new Bushmaster Shorty AK!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top