Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2017 2:23:44 PM EDT
Mainly water blind and some deer hunting. Needs to be waterproof, not sure if I want a shell to layer under or a parka type. Any good leads on surplus military jackets or good deals on actual real tree/mossy oak camo hunting jackets? Any reason not to use cheap surplus stuff?
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:25:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:27:42 PM EDT
Anything Drake waterfowl. I use a MST 1/4 zip for all my hunting (mainly duck though)

It's durable, incredibly warm and not too bulky.

I can usually get away with a moisture wicking layer and then the jacket in anything above 25F
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:31:25 PM EDT
subscribe to wing supply and field supply emails , they will have all you need.  Same company I believe but wing supply is a few dollars cheaper for some reason. Drake, Browning, Rocky, etc blow outs all the time
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:34:31 PM EDT
What's your budget?

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:38:40 PM EDT
FirstLite or Kuiu, whatever particular piece suits your needs.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:48:15 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By portablegorilla:
FirstLite or Kuiu, whatever particular piece suits your needs.
View Quote
This if you can afford it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:13:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2017 3:13:19 PM EDT by USPcompact]
FirstLite or Sitka Kuiu, whatever particular piece suits your needs.
View Quote
Fuck Kuiu.

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:14:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By USPcompact:

Fuck Kuiu.

View Quote
Sitka is the Yeti of technical hunting gear.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:19:10 PM EDT
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Fuck Kuiu.

Eh, most of their gear is pretty good.  Some is.....well, Yeti-fied.  Their jackets are better constructed than most of the FiretLite stuff I have, but FirstLite wool stomps Sitka wool.

Their waterfowl stuff has no peer.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:20:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2017 3:20:39 PM EDT by JAR0023]
Cabela's house brand gear is actually decent stuff. Drake is decent but cut for fat people with short arms.  Banded will be trimmer through the body with longer arms. It's most all made over seas.  I hate parkas and prefer to layer.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:20:26 PM EDT
I doubt you will find one jacket that will do it all.  But in for answers.  

Waterproof stuff generally sucks to wear when it's not raining or duck hunting IMO.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:22:49 PM EDT
Test the fabric before you buy as some hunting coats are noisy as hell when a branch slaps or scrapes against them.

I like Filson wool hunting coats for this reason, but I am a dinosaur.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:23:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By VBC:
I doubt you will find one jacket that will do it all.  But in for answers.  

Waterproof stuff generally sucks to wear when it's not raining or duck hunting IMO.
View Quote
No doubt.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:24:40 PM EDT
Keep an eye on Cabelas online bargain cave deals.  You can often pick up great clothing at really good prices.  I do not buy anything from them unless it is in the cave.

Depending on what part of Va.-  Northern and in the mountians you may need a heavier jacket. Down towards carolina line, not so much.  

Yes h2o proof is a must.  Don't forget a good pair of boots.  A nice heavy jacket is good, but cold feet still ruin a day.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:35:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By vatopa:
Keep an eye on Cabelas online bargain cave deals.  You can often pick up great clothing at really good prices.  I do not buy anything from them unless it is in the cave.

Depending on what part of Va.-  Northern and in the mountians you may need a heavier jacket. Down towards carolina line, not so much.  

Yes h2o proof is a must.  Don't forget a good pair of boots.  A nice heavy jacket is good, but cold feet still ruin a day.
View Quote
Great advice.

I hunt in NoVA right along the Potomac and I wear mostly Cabela's brand gear, with a bit of First Lite.  

Layering is key.  You can expect some significant temperature swings, so you want enough to keep you warm in the predawn or last light hunting, but be able to remove insulation for daytime highs (or if good fortune strikes and you're dragging out a deer).  

I usually strap my outer layers to my pack for predawn hikes in to my spot to minimize sweat buildup.  Once I'm there I layer back up before I start to chill.  

I buy my gear during the end of the year clearance sales.  I don't care about pattern, so I buy whatever's on sale.  If you feel the need to match head to toe from one of the high end brands like First Lite, Sitka or Kuiu, be prepared to shell out some money, because sales are infrequent and prices still spendy even after a discount.

Deer don't care what you wear, and I've shot quite a few deer while just wearing brown Carhartts.

I have no experience waterfowl hunting, but I imagine it's probably beneficial to spend a bit more money for higher performance waterproof clothing.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:37:39 PM EDT
Drake if you're fat and have short arms
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:46:21 PM EDT
https://www.camofire.com

Worth checking every morning.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:50:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2017 3:51:19 PM EDT by VBC]
Originally Posted By Cheesebeast:
Test the fabric before you buy as some hunting coats are noisy as hell when a branch slaps or scrapes against them.

I like Filson wool hunting coats for this reason, but I am a dinosaur.
View Quote
Very much so, especially if you are a bowhunter or gun hunter who likes the deer to get in close in the dead calm woods.

The last thing you want to have happen is see the magnificent buck of your lifetime and then go SWISH-SWISH and spook it as you ready yourself to shoot.  You'll notice a lot of the bowhunter stuff is made from silent fleece, etc.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:19:13 PM EDT
Agree with the others here. First Lite, Sitka, Cabelas, and Banded Gear are what you seek. I'll add Badlands gear, I love their stuff and warranty.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:20:30 PM EDT

View Quote
Truth.  Yay marketing.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:24:56 PM EDT
Wool for deer hunting
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:28:44 PM EDT

Worth checking every morning subscribing to their deal alert email.
View Quote
FIXED

I'll add two things- 1, I won't buy "Banded Gear" stuff because that guy is a D-Bag. 2, it is remarkable how much better Sitka Gear seems when it's 1/2 price
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:28:59 PM EDT
1930s

Duck hunter:

Deer hunters:

Granddad around the late 60s.

Attachment Attached File

I hunted in just a old M65 field jacket/liner for many a year. Good boots are the main thing.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:34:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2017 4:34:59 PM EDT by AeroEngineer]
Originally Posted By 1srelluc:
1930s

Duck hunter:

http://www.kingquackjr.com/new/daviswducks2.jpg

Deer hunters:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/theadvocate.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/67/2677f2c1-2b4b-53b2-ac5a-961f0b984eb1/584a2b8d477f3.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C900

Granddad around the late 60s.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/88145/001-235752.JPG

I hunted in just a old M65 field jacket/liner for many a year. Good boots are the main thing.
View Quote
That picture of the deer hunters is obviously staged because those guys don't have photorealistic camouflage, trail cams, range finders, scent blocker, etc.  How could they kill a deer?!

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:44:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By utahman:
FIXED

I'll add two things- 1, I won't buy "Banded Gear" stuff because that guy is a D-Bag. 2, it is remarkable how much better Sitka Gear seems when it's 1/2 price
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By utahman:

Worth checking every morning subscribing to their deal alert email.
FIXED

Good edit, forgot about that.

And yeah, I gotta say anyone that buys Sitka at full retail is kind of an idiot.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:45:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:

That picture of the deer hunters is obviously staged because those guys don't have photorealistic camouflage, trail cams, range finders, scent blocker, etc.  How could they kill a deer?!

View Quote
Based on the picture, it's obvious they are hunting deer with dogs, in which case, the running deer is not going to hear your sleeve go SWISH-SWISH over the sound of itself dashing through the leaves and the baying of the hounds 100 yds. behind it.

But if you're going to bowhunt from a climbing stand on an active trail or food source where the deer will be cautiously sneaking around browsing just below your feet, the quiet clothing can give you at least a chance at harvesting.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:50:02 PM EDT
Based on the picture, it's obvious they are hunting deer with dogs, in which case, the running deer is not going to hear your sleeve go SWISH-SWISH over the sound of itself dashing through the leaves and the baying of the hounds 100 yds. behind it.

But if you're going to bowhunt from a climbing stand on an active trail or food source where the deer will be cautiously sneaking around browsing just below your feet, the quiet clothing can give you at least a chance at harvesting.
View All Quotes

And any old school duck hunter will tell you how miserable those old waders were.

Can y'all even run deer with dogs anymore in VA?  Still a big thing around here.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:52:29 PM EDT

And any old school duck hunter will tell you how miserable those old waders were.

Can y'all even run deer with dogs anymore in VA?  Still a big thing around here.
View Quote
Yeah, they still run dogs in VA even though people have been fussing about it.  Rifle hunters who still hunt the mountains look at those in the eastern part of the state who run deer with dogs and shoot them with buckshot as slob hunters.   But get a mountain hunter into the swamps trying to walk around and see anything and you bet they'll be hunting with dogs too.

Cultural differences.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:53:02 PM EDT

View Quote
Dad bought Granddad a new camo 10X hunting coat and I bought him the matching bibs in the early 70s. We found the coat/bibs still in the box it was wrapped in when he passed. I guess he preferred to use what worked for him. I was surprised that he used the old Jones style insulated hat Dad got him.

I put in my 50th year of deer hunting last year and this Spring I bought my first set of waterproof coat/bibs....At a yard sale for a buck each but I suspect I'll be wearing my old patchwork quilt looking hunting coat come opening day.....These days I have enough sense to stay out of the rain but when I was stupid I just used a shelter half I would drape over me.  

I figure the waterproof stuff will come in real handy when I use the snow-blower.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:53:05 PM EDT
Browing's Hells Canyon stuff is surprisingly good.

I own a bunch of Sitka gear, which I love, but if I didn't I'd be looking at the browning gear.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:54:13 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GGtar122:
Mainly water blind and some deer hunting. Needs to be waterproof, not sure if I want a shell to layer under or a parka type. Any good leads on surplus military jackets or good deals on actual real tree/mossy oak camo hunting jackets? Any reason not to use cheap surplus stuff?
View Quote

Just make sure it is quiet.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:55:09 PM EDT
M65 parka
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:56:25 PM EDT
Yeah, they still run dogs in VA even though people have been fussing about it.  Rifle hunters who still hunt the mountains look at those in the eastern part of the state who run deer with dogs and shoot them with buckshot as slob hunters.   But get a mountain hunter into the swamps trying to walk around and see anything and you bet they'll be hunting with dogs too.

Cultural differences.
View All Quotes

Cultural differences.
It absolutely is.

Tried explaining the same thing to some guys around Lenoir once and they just couldn't get it.  They were happy to talk about their bear dogs, though!
Top Top