Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2012 2:13:23 PM EDT
Up until this weekend I have been driving my 1995 Nissan Pathfinder.
The underside of the truck is in about the same condition as the sunken HMS Titanic. The frame is shot but the beast started, ran, and even stopped. It has been stolen and recovered, snatched from the jaws of the scrapper and never missed a beat. I had hoped to make it last another year and had just put new tires on it 2 month ago but I'm sick of putting any money into it.
Last week I kept smelling burning oil. Stunk like shit and was giving me
a headache. Didn't see any leaks, but one night I got home and the heel of boot had melted. There was a rusted out hole in the floor right above the exhaust pipe. Off to Home Depot for some galvanized duct and self tapping screws.
FFW to the day before yesterday. I put $40 worth of gas in my Pathfinder and promptly lost $30 of it
on the pavement on the way home. I crawled under it to find that the
fuel lines are leaking spraying fuel. I could fix it, but I'm honestly scared of unbolting anything underneath the vehicle since it just opens a can of worms.
So, yesterday I happened upon this:
1999 Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon
71,000 original miles.
1 owner trade.
Went to look it over yesterday and it looked good and clean. Went back today and test drove it and went over it with a fine tooth comb.
I am very aware of the head gasket issues these experienced and if it doesn't cause any issues in the meantime, I'm going to do them when I do the timing belt at 105,000 as a preventive maintenance item.
Anyways, I'm talking the salesman and we of course get to negotiations. The tag said $5995 and he's at about $5400 + tax and document fees and whatnot. Would work out to about $6000 out the door.
I bring up the head gasket issue. He pulls up service records and we go through them one by one and it hadn't been done.
I offer $5500 out the door. More or less getting the car for $5K. He's got his elbows on his desk rubbing his eyes saying "I don't know", so I say I'm going to get a sandwich and if you want to take my offer to call me in a half an hour.
He called and said they'll do it. I'm about to head out of town so I'll pick it up in a week.
He also found that when they took it in trade they said it was due for front shocks and a suspension spring in the rear. He said they'll make sure if it hasn't been done that it will be when I pick it up. I was also surprised that he said they will have it fully fueled when I come and get it.

This is it.
Now I need to get the newish tires off my Pathfinder so I can scrap it or leave it as is and turn it into a Killdozer.
Cool story eh Bros???
DP
Cliff notes: Old car died. New car is a Subaru. Not gay, but like Granola. Saved some $$. I know about the head gasket issue.

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:20:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it's great that you and your partner got something that's safe for you and your potential adoptees.

On a more serious note the wife had an Outback and it was a pretty good car.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I think it's great that you and your partner got something that's safe for you and your potential adoptees.

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool story indeed.

That hood scoop indicates the presence of a turbo. Can you confirm or deny that?

Also, auto or manual?
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think it's great that you and your partner got something that's safe for you and your potential adoptees Golden retrievers.

FIFY.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#6]
That car is weapon grade vagina repellent.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Cool story indeed.

That hood scoop indicates the presence of a turbo. Can you confirm or deny that?

Also, auto or manual?

2.5 non turbo DOHC.

Manual transmission.

DP

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#8]
You really going to park that around Detroit, MI?
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I just came back from visiting my sister in Burlington VT.

About 93% of the vehicles up there are rusted out shit trucks,Prius or Outbacks

Just because most of the Outbacks are driven by women who dress like lumberjacks and they carry around their dogs doesn't mean they are bad cars
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

We don't all need to drive ostentatious vehicles to compensate for phallic deficiencies or act as bait.

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:33:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Not if OP slaps a rainbow sticker on there...chicks dig gay dudes
Speed

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:34:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Disagree.  Probably repels loose women who are looking for someone who likes to waste money on them.  

OTOH, practical women who like to go shooting with their guy, discuss Glock vs. 1911, and are into practical preps, would write their number on the outstretched hand of the guy who owns a good Subaru.

(My family has owned 5 of them.)
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I love Subuaru's.  you did good.

ETA:  I would throw a LaRue sticker on it though.   They(Subaru wagons, not LaRue) do have the Lesbo vibe.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

We don't all need to drive ostentatious vehicles to compensate for phallic deficiencies or act as bait.  

We don't all need a thesaurus for a clever response in an effort to take the mental high ground either.

Imprezza, Legacy or Outback BTW?

ETA: I know they are good cars. My point is only that they are about as visually stimulating as a water faucet.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

ETA:  I would throw a LaRue sticker on it though.   They(Subaru wagons, not LaRue) do have the Lesbo vibe.

I'm not big on gun stuff on my vehicles, but a BFL might be in order.

or the PETA - People Eating Tasting Animals.

DP

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We don't all need a thesaurus for a clever response in an effort to take the mental high ground either.

Who says I used a thesaurus?

Civic.

I think a Subaru will be my next DD in ~2 years, assuming nothing bad happens to the Civic.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Glad you found a car you like.  I hate car shopping.  

I recently found a car on a local Nissan dealer's website, so I went out to take a look at it.  A car salesman walks out.  I notice that he has fingernails that are at least a half inch long.  Not manicured, just long and gross-looking fingernails.  
So I ask him about the car.  He pulls a sheet of paper out of his pocket, and finds the car on the inventory.  We spend five minutes walking around the lot.  He points to a car, and says: "it's suppose to be right here, in this space...".  Next he borrows MY CELL PHONE and starts calling people, asking them where the car is.  He leaves me out on the lot for a few minutes, and walks into the building.  When he comes back, he says "we sent that one to the auction last week."  I tell him "okay", and I leave.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:47:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not big on gun stuff on my vehicles, but a BFL might be in order.

or the PETA - People Eating Tasting Animals.

DP

Part in red.  DO IT

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Subaru=
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I picked the wife up a 2012 Forrester to replace the civic that got totaled.... It's a nice car, drives well, turns on a dime, gets good gas mileage, and a top rated safety rating.... I'm ok putting the wife, kids and dog in it....

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#22]
No leather daddies?   Did it at least come with a rubber fist?
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

No leather daddies?   Did it at least come with a rubber fist?

That would make a fucking hilarious shift knob.

DP

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Found and updated OP with actual photos of the car.

DP

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who says I used a thesaurus?  

Civic.

I think a Subaru will be my next DD in ~2 years, assuming nothing bad happens to the Civic.

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#26]
They also like to blow a seal in the front of the engine. The replacement seals are green or brown I believe depending on what brand you get.....If you get the wrong brand, it will blow out again and again till you get the other color (pretty sure the brown one is the good one)

When the seal goes, you will lose all oil pressure and dump a bunch of oil out the front of the engine.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Get yourself a rainbow bumber sticker and an equal sign.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Get yourself a rainbow bumber sticker and an equal sign.

Hell, slap an NRA sticker on it and call it good...
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Happy motoring!
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 5:06:54 PM EDT
[#30]
You know what?  I'd drive it.

Nothing beats buying used cars for less than new ones.  I plan on driving what I have into the ground, and then buying more used shit and driving that till they fall apart.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice deal

Subaru are excellent cars, that thing is hardly even broken in

ETA:  Here's our '12 Forester.

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

holy crap that's funny!
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Sounds like valve seals. Brown seals are for exhaust and green are intake.
I've learned a lot about these cars reading about everything I can about them. I like working on cars, it's just that the last time I had a car that wasn't rusted to shit..I didn't have a garage.
Now I've got a non rusty car and a garage. == PROFIT.
DP
Quoted:

They also like to blow a seal in the front of the engine. The replacement seals are green or brown I believe depending on what brand you get.....If you get the wrong brand, it will blow out again and again till you get the other color (pretty sure the brown one is the good one)
When the seal goes, you will lose all oil pressure and dump a bunch of oil out the front of the engine.

Made me think of:

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#34]
That's a nice deal and you're going to love the gas bill after paying to fuel up a Pathfinder all the time.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Sounds like valve seals. Brown seals are for exhaust and green are intake.

I've learned a lot about these cars reading about everything I can about them. I like working on cars, it's just that the last time I had a car that wasn't rusted to shit..I didn't have a garage.

Now I've got a non rusty car and a garage. == PROFIT.

DP

Quoted:

Made me think of:

Nope....It was the cam seals

OEM are brown = Good

Aftermarket are green = Crap
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 4:23:50 AM EDT
[#36]
I'd pay 5500 for that.

Nice buy!
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 4:27:33 AM EDT
[#37]
One of the local mail people use one to deliver mail in. I'm guessing it's a solid car since the other one uses one of those Jeep Cherokees that lasts forever too.
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 4:28:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 4:33:45 AM EDT
[#39]
You got a great deal, 2000 Forester owner...
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 4:35:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Subaru's are cool in their own way, I'd get one if they were bigger.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/15/2012 4:46:49 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm glad to see more out Lesbians here. Welcome ladies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top