Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/17/2009 5:43:35 PM EST
Vet I worked with bought this knife when he was in the Navy during Vietnam. Said he didn't need it anymore and figured I would actually appreciate it and not sell it, so it was mine for the sum of $80. Serial dates it to 1967 which from what I have heard is essentially the first year of production, they apparently made 8 knives in 1966. It has no cant, no serrations and the sheath with a sharpening stone pouch (and the original rawhide thongs from 1967 ). It was made with a forged L6 blade which takes an edge quicker than damn near any knife I've ever layed hands on. Hopefully it will serve me for another 42 years like it did its original owner

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:44:54 PM EST
nice. i like
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:45:53 PM EST
That's awesome.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:47:37 PM EST
Very cool. I didn't realize they had been around that long.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:48:09 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 5:49:07 PM EST by ultramagbrion]
DO WANT

There was one (with a bunch of other old knives) at an antique shop in NH ...........IIRC they were asking $175 for her. Same sheath but I cant remember about serations though.

I almost bought it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:50:18 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:54:46 PM EST
I have a Mark II that I bought from the BX at Patrick AFB when I was home on Christmas leave in 1987. Paid all of 20 bucks for it, new in the package.

The nylon cordura sheath eventually got "poisoned" (Cordura really sucks for a sheath material due to that little issue!) and the blade got more than a little
bit rusty but I was able to restore it. I don't know if that blade is supposed to be stainless but it's very rust resistant...but a nylon cordura sheath will
put rust on anything.

I just wish that my Mark II didn't have serrations on it. Other than that, it's a fine knife even if it's not an original production example.

CJ
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:05:05 PM EST
wow that is nice, and I love the history on it. Keep it safe.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:05:35 PM EST
I can't find mine, I had one in the early 80s. It wasn't military though, it was a commercially available one. It didn't have serrations, but it did have a handle that was olive drab, with a camo pattern of some sort on it, and the handle was hollow, with a "survival kit" inside and a liquid filled compass that screwed into the top of the handle. I have been unable to find pics of it or availabilty, I would love another one though, it was the best knife I've ever owned. Nice knife by the way, and I didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:07:48 AM EST
Originally Posted By pavlovwolf:
I can't find mine, I had one in the early 80s. It wasn't military though, it was a commercially available one. It didn't have serrations, but it did have a handle that was olive drab, with a camo pattern of some sort on it, and the handle was hollow, with a "survival kit" inside and a liquid filled compass that screwed into the top of the handle. I have been unable to find pics of it or availabilty, I would love another one though, it was the best knife I've ever owned. Nice knife by the way, and I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Gerber changed the image of the Mark II from fighting to survival for political reasons.. Kind of funny when you think about it because the Mark II doesn't remotely resemble a survival knife
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:13:18 AM EST
Thats an awesome knife. I wish NY wasn't nazi..I would have had a US fighting knife collection but there are a few fighting knives that aren't even legal in NY..like the M1918 Trench knife..its not even worth it if I can't get one of those..I want one pretty bad,
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:15:41 AM EST
Nice knife. Great friend.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:16:30 AM EST
When I went to Desert Storm, my Dad bought me a Mk2 that had been up on the wall of a local gun store forever. Black handle with black leather sheath. Still have it along with the KaBar I bought at the main PX at Camp Lejuene in 1988, one knife will go to one of my sons, one to the other when they get older.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:22:33 AM EST
Very cool, one of my favorite designs.

Never seen a Gerber that old.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:28:45 AM EST
I lucked into a cat-tongue handle, canted blade, non serrated MkII in original sheath, in a pawn shop for $35 about 12 years ago.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:36:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By Burntrubber87:
Thats an awesome knife. I wish NY wasn't nazi..I would have had a US fighting knife collection but there are a few fighting knives that aren't even legal in NY..like the M1918 Trench knife..its not even worth it if I can't get one of those..I want one pretty bad,

Wait a minute, what?

Oh and nice score.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:42:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2009 8:56:09 AM EST by Burntrubber87]
Originally Posted By beltfed74:

Originally Posted By Burntrubber87:

Wait a minute, what?

Oh and nice score.

What..my rambling or the fact that you can't get one of these m1918 mk1's in NY?(because of the knuckles)
Top Top