Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2001 11:06:25 AM EDT
Good Afternoon,
 I need some information and figured that this was as good a place as any to get information on purchasing and owning an AR-15 rifle. I would also need information on what is required to get a handgun, specifically the H&K USP 9mm. I haven't owned any guns since I was a child growing up in Tennessee, even then the deer rifle was my parents and I just used it to going hunting on occasion. I currently live in Colorado, and am interested in getting the pistol for home/personnal safety and I wanted the rifle for recreation/target shooting. Since I have never actually owned a pistol or rifle, and I know that the laws have changed since the '80s, any help in letting me know the best way to go about purchasing and registering these guns would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

FH
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Hello. Laws vary from state to state.
I believe in Colorado, there aren't any local restrictions- so all you have to do for a handgun is go into a gun store, fill out the 4473, and take possession of your gun (legnth of waiting period depending)

You said

purchasing and registering these guns
View Quote

Guns aren't "registered". This is a common myth. The form you fill out stays with your gun dealer, and no federal agencies are notified of your purchase. In most states, you can buy guns in private transfers without any government agency being any wiser.

AR15's are even more loosley restricted, since they are considered a long gun, thus subject to the same rules and regs as a .22 rimfire bolt action (This will change however)Assuming you aren't a felon, or under any restraining orders (or have any convictions for domestic violence) you are good to go.

Link Posted: 10/16/2001 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I would suggest going to [url]www.nra.org[/url] and look up the specific laws for your state, and instructors in your area.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Foreverhero...welcome and let me say you are about to be buried in advice.....
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank You for the Welcome.. now I have another question. What are the limitations on purchasing an AR-15, the one I was looking at was similiar to the military M-4 w/ collapsing stock and able to take the RIS setup. Also what does everyone think about the H&K USP 9mm?

Thanks Again,

FH
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thank You for the Welcome.. now I have another question. What are the limitations on purchasing an AR-15, the one I was looking at was similiar to the military M-4 w/ collapsing stock and able to take the RIS setup. Also what does everyone think about the H&K USP 9mm?

Thanks Again,

FH
View Quote

No limits. I was in CO, and shooting Colts over in the mountians in Boulder.   Look up a user LBJ on here, and on the sig fourms, he can tell you the laws in CO, since he is there.  
Make sure the rifle is pre-ban, if it has a collasable stock.

Once you start, it goes downhill from there. [;)]
c-rock
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#6]
You may (New Jersey) or may not (Georgia)have to register your guns.  Check local laws.  Most places require a permit if you want to carry your handgun around with you.  Again, varys from state to state if you need one, say, in your car.  Check www.packing.org to give you a head start, then verify the information by checking t against the actual law in your state.  
Pretty much everywhere you go in the US you can only have a folding/collapsable/retracting stock on a "pre-ban" rifle unless you are LEO.  The ban was in 1994.  It deals with riles that accept a detachable magazine that holds more than 10 rounds and has more than one other "evil feature."  Ar's have a pistol grip (EF) so cannot have a retractable stock (ef) or bayonet lug (ef) or flash suppressor (ef).  

Oh, yeah, get a GLOCK G35.  .40 cal, long slide, great trigger, totally kicks a$$.  

If you are stuck on 9mm, get a G19 and a few 15 round pre ban mags (you can get them for $75 a piece).  Post 1994 manufacture are limited to 10 rounds.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Everything you want to know about buying that AR15.

[url]http://old.ar15.com/docs/idealRifle/[/url]

[url]http://old.ar15.com/docs/primer/[/url]

[url]http://old.ar15.com/legal/[/url]

Link Posted: 10/16/2001 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Oh, yeah, get a GLOCK G35.  .40 cal, long slide, great trigger, totally kicks a$$.  

If you are stuck on 9mm, get a G19 and a few 15 round pre ban mags (you can get them for $75 a piece).  Post 1994 manufacture are limited to 10 rounds.  
View Quote

Hey, do you think GLOCKshooter might be a little biased?

The HK USP 9 is excellent, but I would look very closely at the .45 ACP version.

I guess I'm a little biased too.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Welcome!  

My suggestion for an AR15 is [url]http://www.bushmaster.com[/url]  you pick the barrel length & configuration you want.  If you want to put a scope on it, think about getting a flattop (A3) as they accommodate scopes easier (vs. the carrying handle type A2).

I have never shot the HK 9mm you refer to but have shot SIG & Glocks in 9mm.  Both the SIG & Glock are fine combat pistols.  The Glock is as reliable as the sun rising which is why so many police & LE agencies carry them.

The only other advice I have for you is to get some [b]formal training[/b] on how to use firearms.  Get professional training from someone who knows how to shoot & can show you how to do it correctly &, more importantly, [b]SAFELY[/b].

Good luck & welcome to the "gun culture."

Link Posted: 10/16/2001 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#10]
If you were female, you would have 40+ replies by now.

Consider affecting a female tone next time, including faked seminaked pix and/ 0r flirty-suggestive handle.

Welcome aboard, you will find that this is THE place to come for any advice regarding firearms.

Most of which is very helpful.

The collapsable stock will set you back an additional $600 or so.  I guess that's OK if $$$ not an concern.

Link Posted: 10/16/2001 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Another local NRA site www.cssa.com

For the collapsible AR, you will have to buy a pre-ban. More money, especially after 9/11.

You can buy hi-cap clips except in Boulder & Denver.

Good luck, and no waiting periods.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#12]
What part of the state are you in?  

Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:21:00 PM EDT
[#13]
The sidearm should pose no special problem, unless CO laws have changed drastically in the last few months or so - check.  Barring that, you must be 21+ and have a relatively clean history (I have MVs like mad, and a misdemeanour prior, and I still have no trouble in Sunny Kalifornia.  I also hold CCWs in several states, and I am an instructor.)

The AR-series may be a bit more difficult, thanks to the efforts of Feinstein, Boxer, Klinton, et. al. and the 1994 Crime Bill.  There are two basic configurations you are worried about - pre- and post-ban.  The principal differences are the later lack of telestock, bayonet lug, and threaded barrel.  Also, it is almost becoming necessary to cut the piston grip down to a "knuckle grip" to keep the knuckleheads in DC happy.  Hopefully, the Crime Bill will die quietly in 2004, but I won't hold my breath...  Still, it is FEDERAL law, and you will therefore be subject to it's whims.

Since you do not likely need telestock, threaded barrel, or bayo lug, don't expect it to be a huge problem.  And, buying a post-ban can save you dough - something on the order of $200-600 from what I have seen sometimes.  

Since you are also interested in a quality sidearm, I offer the following suggestions...

M1911/1991 and clones.  .45 ACP, 5-10 shots per mag (and you really don't need that many, usually) and suitable for people like me with square paws and stubby fingers.  Also terribly easy to find parts for, repair, and tune.  Basically ambidextrous out of the box, requiring only one modified part to be TRULY ambi.  I also recommed a "beavertail" type grip safety and a "commander" (bobbed) hammer, either or both will prevent hammer bite on the web of the thumb.  Even without doing either of these, it is a minor nuisance.  The slim profile is also easier to carry and not so noticable under the pillow...

H&K USP45 and Mk23 SOCOM.  Both are excellent .45ACP sidearms, with double-stack mage and potential for high capacity if you really feel you need it.  Suitable for those with larger palms and longer fingers, tho, as the grip is almost twice the width of the 1911.  Parts not as easy to find, but is otherwise mechanically simple.

If the opportunity presents itself, borrow/rent both of these and shoot them before you decide.  I have carried both, but gravitate to the 1911 for reason above.  The double stack mag in the USP/Mk23 is the principal reason I don't own either - and my wife's hands are smaller than mine!  

As house armourer, my cardinal rule is that my wife and I (and all regular guests) are able to use house weapons.  Since I am 6'3" and left-handed and my wife is 5'2" and right-handed, this presents a challenge...  Keep similar factors in mind...

FFZ
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I own an HK USP 9mm, it is a very good pistol, however I prefer my Glock 17 or Beretta 92fs, both better pistols IMHO...[:D]
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Hey, do you think GLOCKshooter might be a little biased?

The HK USP 9 is excellent, but I would look very closely at the .45 ACP version.

I guess I'm a little biased too.
View Quote

No lie. I have 2 HK .45s. They were built for the .40 but the .45 is generally regarded as "the" USP to have.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 9:26:50 PM EDT
[#16]
No waiting period or registration in CO.  Just go buy.  Denver and some surrounding cities MAY have resticitons on  "assault weapons".  If you live in one of the larger cities, you might want to check into this.

Let me know what part of the state you are in, if possible we can get together and you can try out my AR...

Jeff
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 9:57:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks Again,

FH
View Quote

HK is a GREAT handgun.  Most dependable pistol that i have ever fired.  I have a .40.  They are expensive, but you get what ya pay for.  You wont be disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hello. Laws vary from state to state.
I believe in Colorado, there aren't any local restrictions- so all you have to do for a handgun is go into a gun store, fill out the 4473, and take possession of your gun (legnth of waiting period depending)
View Quote

Actually in CO certain cities have very restrictive firearms laws. The state has NO premption law & I know Denver & Boulder have some restrictive gun laws on the books.

I don't think I'm mistaken here.

Any CO residents??
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Good Morning,
  My Thanks go out to everyone that replied to my post. The information that you have provided me with has been invaluable, I actually never expected this much response. As to the question that some of you had as to where I live, well I currently live in Longmont, just north of Denver. I have decided to try out several of the suggestions for the handgun. I plan on trying both the USP 9mm and the USP .45. I have fired the standard 1911 .45 many years agoand will try it once again. I really thought about the Glock, but am intrigued on the 'no hammer' style. One question, how safe is a Glock w/o the hammer exposed? Now as for the AR-15, some of the articles that I was directed to mentioned that I could purchase a Pre-Ban lower reciever and mate it with an newer upper assembly, as long as the Lower's serial checks out as an actual Pre-Ban reciever ansd it was actually constructed or part of a whole rifle before the Ban, is this correct? Wouldn't that save a considerable amount of money than just purchasing a complete Pre-Ban rifle? I hope this makes sense, Thanks again for any Info.

Thanks,

FH
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Now as for the AR-15, some of the articles that I was directed to mentioned that I could purchase a Pre-Ban lower reciever and mate it with an newer upper assembly, as long as the Lower's serial checks out as an actual Pre-Ban reciever ansd it was actually constructed or part of a whole rifle before the Ban, is this correct? Wouldn't that save a considerable amount of money than just purchasing a complete Pre-Ban rifle? I hope this makes sense, Thanks again for any Info.
FH
View Quote

Yes it does but I suspect you'll have a difficult time finding just a pre-ban lower receiver & if you do you'll still pay a premium for it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#21]
If you havnt already check out that survival store in longmont, on the main drag, there prices are pretty high though, if you ever in denver check out Green Mountain Guns, (in green mountain) its a good store and they usualy have about 5 bushmasters in stock, but as of the 9/11 attacks they only had 2.  They cost about $750 which is pretty good for retail price.  They also had a complete BM lower for $259 which is also a good deal.

Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Good Afternoon,
  The place here in Longmont was called Paladin Arms, they have since closed down. I beleive they closed down in August or early September, they are currently re-modeling the whole building. You do bring up another question, is there really any difference in who makes the lower reciever? Also, which is the best Upper Assembley for making a Carbine setup?

Thanks Again for the Help,

FH
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Glocks are extremely safe.  From what I remember in an article, I think it was an FBI test.  They actually threw & dropped several types of firearms including Glocks.  Glock was the only one that did not fire on impacting the wall or floor...the others rarely did...but they did.

Now don't take that as gospel...do some research & talk with folks before you invest in a firearm.

Again, get formal, professional training in the proper use & maintenance of firearms.

I really don't know much about the legalities of pre-ban recievers & post-ban uppers.  

I would suggest you try not to let budget get in the way of a life saving tool...buy the best that you can afford...its a LIFEtime investment.

Still suggest you go with Bushmaster.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:06:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Good choices!  Pick a handgun that fits you well, whether it be a Sig, Glock, HK, or any of the 1911A1 variants.  While I am partial to the .40 S&W and .357 Sig, the 9mm and .45ACP are ok to, but there is no comparison for good shooting, I have heard stories from LEO's w/9mm's regarding their low stoping power, but buy what you can shoot.

Stick with Bushmaster AR's there probably the most popular and as far as I can tell most reliable.  However make sure you visit our magazine forum........AR's are picky, "cheap" mags are responsible for 75% of all AR jams.

Also, join the NRA and GOA to protect your rights!  Welcome to the club!

Go Hokies!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Good choices!  Pick a handgun that fits you well, whether it be a Sig, Glock, HK, or any of the 1911A1 variants.  While I am partial to the .40 S&W and .357 Sig, the 9mm and .45ACP are ok to, but there is no comparison for good shooting, I have heard stories from LEO's w/9mm's regarding their low stoping power, but buy what you can shoot.

Also, join the NRA and GOA to protect your rights!  Welcome to the club!
View Quote

All of the above is excellent advice!
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Good Afternoon,
   I been doing some follow up to the recommendations that have been given to me. I have copme up with a few more questions for you all. The first is, are there and good training facilities here in Colorado? Also, what is the GOA? Gun Owners of America? Just one more question, what training courses, other than safety, would everyone recommend for both the handguns and the rifles?

I would also like to Thank everyone again for the tremendious amount of information that you have provided me with. I didn't know what to expect when I first posted here, and I have been since blown away... no pun intended... by the friendliness of the community. I have been looking around at some of the various websites and I think I have settled on a configuration for my AR-15. I will post it later on this afternoon, just to get everyones opinion. BTW.. I spoke with my father this morning and told him about all the info that I recieved from here and now he is interested in getting an AR as well. He used to have one when his presence was request in SouthEast Asia ... wwwaaaaayyyy back in '68. He was kicking around the idea of getting back into rifles again this past summer and it looks like he will finally do it. He had asked me about taking courses together, so thats why I asked you for more info.

Thank You Again,

FH
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#27]
GLOCKs are absulutely safe if you do not pull the trigger.  No amount of banging, bumping, dropping will make them go off.  GLOCKS will fire if the trigger is pulled.  Every time.  Not only extreemly reliable, but no safety levers, decocker, etc..  The problem some people have is that "what if the trigger gets pulled when I don't want to" either snagging on keys, clothing, etc, or pulled accidentily during a high stress presentation, etc..  The answer to that is 1) always keep your GLOCK in a holster that covers the trigger guard (no "mexican" carry, side clips, shoving it the glove compartment with a bunch of maps and tire guages), and 2) always train "finger OFF the trigger until ready to fire."  Just either extend the finger straight, or rest it on the take down bar.  With a little practice it is just as fast as finger on trigger, and a lot safer.

I have a Bushmaster, but wouldn't steer you away from an Armalite (I have been looking real hard at one or two in particular...).    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top