Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 8:53:36 AM EDT
I got an email from a client of mine with a link to the amount of tax paid on liquor, beer and wine.

Amount of Tax on alcohol
There is a pop up asking for address and stuff, I just entered my zip and it showed taxes in Ohio.

I don't buy alcohol very often and I was surprised how much of a retail sale goes to taxes.  

Since there are not going to be any new taxes on the middle class, everyone who buys an alcoholic drink must be rich.  Right?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Sad, tax something that has a health benefit if used in moderation.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#2]
There has to be more people pissed about this then just 2 of us? Even if i feel it will not happen it gives me rage to think someone would want to do this.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Been happening for centuries...  Whisky Rebellion anyone...

"Sin" taxes are there because they are easy to convince people who don't participate to vote for them...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Although it varies by state, the national average is 54% for beer.

That is, if you buy a pint of beer in a bar, 54% of everything you hand over (excepting tip) goes to the government one way or another.

The sh*t thing is that we let it happen to other people but then complain when it happens to us.  "Oh, I don't drink." or "I don't smoke." you hear all the time...  but when it comes to a commodity that they do use (let's say gasoline), they get all rustled up when somebody tries to tax it away from them.  Well, big surprise, huh?

Americans need to wake up and realize that a tax against one of us is a tax against all of us.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Im upset, I could be drinking much more often if it wasnt for a greater than 50% tax!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:41:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Somewhere, a smoker is saying "Told ya so".
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#7]
As a recent former smoker, I would like to tell you all to kiss my ass

lol
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:44:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This former smoker is saying the same thing.  Short-sighted fucks....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:58:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I am pretty sure that my state has some of the highest taxes on spirits.  IIRC its around 75%
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#10]
54.96% of the cost of an average bottle of
Smirnoff vodka in Nevada is tax! On average, that’s $7.22.

WTF!?!? I could be saving a bunch of money.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:09:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Been happening for centuries... Whisky Rebellion anyone...

"Sin" taxes are there because they are easy to convince people who don't participate to vote for them...

This explanation is best.
5sub

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yup, fuck the booze hounds.

I can't wait for the threads complaining about it so I can call all the drinkers "Low Class, Ignorant mouth breathers" like is so often done the the cig tax threads.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Surprised more people don't fight the drinking sin taxes. With smokers down to 20% of the population, it is easy to discriminate against this minority. Drinkers need to band together more.

Maybe develop their own NRA for lobbying? NAA, National Alcohol Association. They could even have safety courses in proper drinking, etc.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:47:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Im upset, I could be drinking much more often if it wasnt for a greater than 50% tax!

At least 50% more

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wait till somone informs Obama that the NFA tax has been the same for the last 75 years. He'll jump on that and bring it current to the tune of about $10k for a stamp

Shhhh. Don't give him any more bad ideas.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Brew your own. My fridge is full of beer that I never paid an alcohol tax on, just sales tax for the ingredients.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:03:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Surprised more people don't fight the drinking sin taxes. With smokers down to 20% of the population, it is easy to discriminate against this minority. Drinkers need to band together more.

Maybe develop their own NRA for lobbying? NAA, National Alcohol Association. They could even have safety courses in proper drinking, etc.

The United Booze Federation.

Here is one of our helpful pamphlets:

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:04:17 PM EDT
[#19]
We can't even purchase alcohol on Sunday from a liquor store in this backward state.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As a recent former smoker, I would like to tell you all to kiss my ass

lol

Shouldn't your "girlfriend" be running a dildo on you or something?

I didn't support that tax any more than this one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I live in a dry county.    Massive fail on all fronts for me.

-X
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We can even purchase alcohol on Sunday from a liquor store in this backward state.

24/7/365 here.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

ahem...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Brew your own. My fridge is full of beer that I never paid an alcohol tax on, just sales tax for the ingredients.

The only thing I pay sales tax on is bottle caps.  All the ingredients are considered food here, and there is no sales tax on food.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I started this way, now i just opened a small high end winery, this will kill use.

Washington state has a healthy and growing wine industry, the number of jobs created from it are high (many many jobs). This tax with out a doubt squash our economy here.
Tax something that has health benefits... only something gov could come up with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top