Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 10:18:19 PM EDT
80 MPH.  Don't mess with Texas!

Texas, Iowa, Indiana Raise Maximum Speed Limit
Texas raises the maximum speed limit in the state to 80 MPH, Iowa and Indiana raise theirs to 70 MPH.

Drivers in Texas, Iowa, and Indiana will enjoy higher speed limits next month as legislation raising the top speeds on rural roads takes effect.

On Friday, Texas Governor Rick Perry (R) signed HB 2257 into law making 80 MPH the maximum allowable speed in the state. Rural portions of I-10 and I-20 will enjoy the new top speed, while other rural roads could see the limit rise to 75 MPH. Both the state House and Senate adopted the legislation without opposition last month.

On July 1, a law signed by Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack (D) creating a 70 MPH speed limit goes into effect. This new limit better reflects the actual speed of cars on rural highways which averages 69.8 MPH according to sensors embedded into the pavement.

In May, Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels (R) signed SB 217 into law raising the maximum limit from 65 MPH to 70 MPH in areas with less than 50,000 population. The law also raises the limit for trucks from 60 to 65 MPH, and gives a 10 MPH boost to several roads currently posted at 55 MPH. The state will begin placing the higher-limit signs on July 5.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]
So that means I can go 90 now.. WOOOHOOO!!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#2]
No reason not to for daylight driving on the highway.

At night, I'd recommend not going over 65.  At 70 mph, your minimum stopping distance is probably longer than the reach of your headlights...
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

No.  DPS and the county LEOs have had zero tolerance sinc bumping it to 70.  I know people who got hit with a 77 in 75.  

Since most speedometers are only accurate near the mid-span and run 2-4% lower than indicated, you better check actual speed with GPS.  Yes, there will be PLENTY of people beating the rap from speedo calibration but they will still get stopped.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

At night, I'd recommend not going over 65.  At 70 mph, your minimum stopping distance is probably longer than the reach of your headlights...

DOT lamps.  Eurospec "E-codes" perform MUCH better on high speed driving BUT some inspection stations will not approve, expecially if they are HID type.  I installed E-codes on my Audi, a simple drop in replacement that had GLASS lenses.  Much sharper cut off and good for about 90.  I had to replace with DOT originals once because the inspection would not pass.  EXACT SAME BULBS.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:36:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DOT lamps.  Eurospec "E-codes" perform MUCH better on high speed driving BUT some inspection stations will not approve, expecially if they are HID type.  I installed E-codes on my Audi, a simple drop in replacement that had GLASS lenses.  Much sharper cut off and good for about 90.  I had to replace with DOT originals once because the inspection would not pass.  EXACT SAME BULBS.

Have you tested it?

Find a deserted back road and have a buddy set up a cone in the middle and then accelerate to 90 and see if you can stop before hitting it...

Don't forget to post pics!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Absolutely.

On the way to Big Bend during this summer I drove 90 for a good long stretch through West Texas.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I average 10 over now.....Im not to worried about speeding on I-20, the places I go, I know where the state troopers sit.....Off highway I dont speed much at all.

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.  DPS and the county LEOs have had zero tolerance sinc bumping it to 70.  I know people who got hit with a 77 in 75.  

Since most speedometers are only accurate near the mid-span and run 2-4% lower than indicated, you better check actual speed with GPS.  Yes, there will be PLENTY of people beating the rap from speedo calibration but they will still get stopped.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you tested it?

Find a deserted back road and have a buddy set up a cone in the middle and then accelerate to 90 and see if you can stop before hitting it...

Cone O' Truth!!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I got ticketed for 79 in a 70 coming back just outside of Del Rio on said same trip to Big Bend.

I plead not guilty and requested a jury trial, its been several months still havent heard back from them. I dont think they are going to press it, but even if they did I'm sure I could beat it in a Jury Trial.

The way Texas law is written it is not illegal to drive over the speed limit. What is illegal is to drive at a speed that is unreasonable. I figure most Texas will agree that atleast up to 10mph over on an open road is reasonable.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely.

On the way to Big Bend during this summer I drove 90 for a good long stretch through West Texas.

A while ago, at the NY guns-along-the-mohawk shoot. With laser and radar detection, I drove over 100 in upstate NY at night, but there was enough traffic that I didn't need the lights to reach out all that far, no way I'd go that fast in the dark. On the way back, in daylight, I found out that even though an '04 Honda Accord's speedometer tops out at 160, the governor prevents it from going over 125, except downhill (note to self: replace ECU). The drive still look us over four hours (Utica to NYC/Queens).
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you tested it?

Does a deer count?  You see there are a few roads in the Hill Country (TX) that I know pretty well.  I was doing about 85 though.  Saw the recently road-killed sucker and nailed the brakes.  Full 4 wheel anti-lock engaged but only for a second.  Didn't need them as I still had over 50 feet.

I know about over-driving your headlights.  And it isn't hard to do with DOTs.  But properly adjusted E-codes are good for 90.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:38:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Here in Central Ohio, we have multi-speeds.

What happens is, if you have a ricer with no muffler, you're permitted to drive in any lane doing 94mph.

If, however, you're in a 75' dodge truck with a mesh hat and suspenders, your max would be 43.

Soccer moms are permitted a cool 57mph, unless talking on the phone in which case you must vary your speed between 40 and 60, without maintaining the same speed for 1 mile.

I'm currently in the "about to go Postal" bracket, which means I must stay at 55 so when my veins burst from rage, I don't crash into anything at too great a speed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 3 Lightforce 170 lights on my Tacoma. When they are on I can easily see 3 miles in front of me. They are incretable. Definitely help when its pitch dark and im flying home. Up here moose like to jump out in front of you from all sides.

-Derek
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:41:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Raising the speed limit won't prevent people for routinely exceeding the speed limit.  If it's 55 and they do 70, raising it to 70 and they will do 80-85.  It's a mental thing for people, many just cannot stand to limit themselves to the speed limit, they want to exceed it or go as fast as they feel they can and still get away with it.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:46:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Bullshit.  It all depends on the road.  A well marked Interstate is no problem at 70 to 75.  A dark country road is another issue.  Unless you are blind.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:48:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Raising the speed limit won't prevent people for routinely exceeding the speed limit.  If it's 55 and they do 70, raising it to 70 and they will do 80-85.  It's a mental thing for people, many just cannot stand to limit themselves to the speed limit, they want to exceed it or go as fast as they feel they can and still get away with it.  

Most traffic engineering studies prove you wrong.  People ignore speed limits that are unreasonably slow, and obey those that are set to the 85th or better percentile.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:50:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Apparently I live in the above 85th percentile.  Everywhere I saw the speed limit raised, so did the speed of the speeders.  I notice because I'm freaky - I always drive the speed limit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:56:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I haven't found that to be the case.  For me at least, when given the choice, I tend to drive about 75-80mph.  Whenever I drive out west on mostly deserted straight highways, I could (and have, for fun) gone over 100mph, but I feel most comfortable around 75mph.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:57:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I prefer lower speed limits right now.   At 55mph my car will get between 26-30mpg on level ground.  When I get much above that my mileage falls off pretty quickly.   I'd be lucky to get 20 going 80.   Drop gas prices $.50/gal and I'd be all for it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:12:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I envy you guys in Texas. Here in occupied NY, they are actually talking about LOWERING the speed limit to 55 everywhere to save gas.  Nuff said
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:19:50 AM EDT
[#21]
When going on long trips, I find it more comfortable (ie, less stressful) to simply put the cruise control on at 71-72mph and enjoy the ride. The fuel economy is better at that speed, too.

80 or 85mph? No thanks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:22:18 AM EDT
[#22]
I always heard the speed limit in Tx was "Fly wide open".  Now there putting restrictions on how fast they can drive .
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:28:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Well, 80mph is a good cruising speed for a bike, but I still would be a long way from geting out of 1st gear. ;)

I don't typically drive a car faster than 70 on the freeway though.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:36:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Is Texas going to keep the slower speed limit at nite??  That seems redicouls to me.  Should be the same day or nite.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bullshit.  It all depends on the road.  A well marked Interstate is no problem at 70 to 75.  A dark country road is another issue.  Unless you are blind.

ymmv, but you might want to see what the actual minimum stopping distance for your car with brand new tires is and then compare that to how far your headlights allow you to see before calling BS.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Great. Now the speed differential between cars and big trucks will be even greater.

Was Texas kind enough to let trucks go 80 as well?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Great. Now the speed differential between cars and big trucks will be even greater.

Was Texas kind enough to let trucks go 80 as well?

It doesn't make much difference anyways.  People pretty much go whatever speed they want here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top