Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2003 9:50:46 PM EST
Man, this thing's GREAT! How come nobody told me about these things sooner?
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:07:12 PM EST
What brand? I'm in my second microsoft and I love 'em!! No balls to clean!![;D] -T.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:10:31 PM EST
Microsoft.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:11:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By toaster: I love 'em!! No balls to clean!![;D] -T.
View Quote
Ooooh thats not right.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:12:22 PM EST
I got the MEMOREX. Cool. I hated that ststststuttering when the rollers got munged up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 10:29:50 PM EST
i like mine wireless mouse and keyboard combo microsoft. great cuz i can sit on the couch with my tv out out and watch movies off the comp without having to get yp to pause it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:29:01 PM EST
Anybody know about how long the batteries will last in a cordless optical mouse that sees heavy use?
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 11:36:48 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:19:08 AM EST
Microsoft can't get it right with their OS but they sure know how to make good keyboard and mouse. I have MS optical mouse at home and use Logitech optical at work. I recommend Logitech for keyboard and mouse as well.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:25:50 AM EST
I recently upgraded to a generic optical mouse. Don't know how i ever lived w/ the old one. The best thing is this mouse also has 2 side buttons that will go back and forth on the internet and in windows so that i dont have to move the mouse to the top of the screen and click. Yet another wonderful lazy man's invention!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:35:03 AM EST
Originally Posted By Big_Bear: I got a Microsoft optical trackball for Christmas. I'm still trying to get used to it. Been using a mouse too many years.
View Quote
Thats what I have. I absolutely love the thing. Its one of the things that I can justify spending money on. After getting used to it I found that I'm allot quicker using the track ball than the mouse.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 1:20:55 AM EST
Originally Posted By Big_Bear: I got a Microsoft optical trackball for Christmas. I'm still trying to get used to it. Been using a mouse too many years.
View Quote
I bought a LogiTech optical trackball recently & have the same problem. Luckily the holiday season means that returning it should be no problem because I simply can't use the thing. I'll probably just get an optical mouse instead. I've heard that optical mice aren't too good for games though...anyone have any experiance with this?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 2:20:33 AM EST
Yes Optical mice are the only way to fly! (cordless ones usually EAT batteries BTW) But ALL the microsoft mice I have had were cheap POS's I'd go with Logitech $25 [img]http://compjrk.home.mindspring.com/45.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:25:12 AM EST
Originally Posted By schapman43:
View Quote
Thats what I have. I absolutely love the thing. Its one of the things that I can justify spending money on. After getting used to it I found that I'm allot quicker using the track ball than the mouse.
View Quote
ditto. For me the trac ball is the way to go. I do occasionally have to take uot the ball, and clean up the friction points, but it sure saves a lot of desk space.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:28:22 AM EST
I only use a trackball.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:33:28 AM EST
I got one of those Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 mouse's after my other mouse went bad. Its the one that is kind of 2 tone grey and silver and has a red light or LED under it instead of a ball. Really works great. Sure beats that ball type mouse where you constantly have to keep taking out the ball and clean all the crap out of it so it will work smooth. They should have come out with this a long time ago.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:42:15 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:46:35 AM EST
Have a optical Microsoft IntelliMouse with the wheel, love it. Have had it for awhile, no problems, nice & ergo to.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:50:24 AM EST
it all started for me when I got a tagus mini mouse (optical) for my notebook.. I liked it SOOOOO much, I had to have an optical for my main computer. I searched and searched, finally finding one I could live with in an IBM. I gotta have a wheel and 4 buttons. Optical is THE way to go. also, Once you've had "the wheel" you will not go back! [:)]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:06:29 AM EST
I use a Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical myself. I love it. Can use any flat surface to move around on and not limited to using a mouse pad for the roller-ball type mouse. [b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 2:03:33 PM EST
The best overall optical mouse is the MX series by Logitec. By overall, I mean for general computer work and also for fast games. There are two operating items for optical mice usage. Precision for fine usage like editing pictures or drawing and tracking speed for fast movements like when playing first person shooter games. The precision is measured in dpi or "dots per inch" while tracking speed is measured in megatexels/second and is entirely dependent on the processing power of the mouse. Optical mice work by using an LED to illuminate (at an angle) the surface of whatever it is used upon. An optical sensor, takes "gajillions" (for lack of a better word) of pictures in short periods of time of the highlighted tiny valley and shadows that the LED illuminates. The mouse's electronic "brain" then compares the pictures to determine the amount of movement/distance the mouse has moved. On the older models, the electronic "brains" of the mice could be very precise for slow to normal movement, but had difficulties keeping up when the mouse was whipped around very quickly when playing games. This was evident when a person whipped the mouse from side to side and the cursor on the screen stayed in one spot or would jump around in crazy directions not in accordance with the directions the mouse was moving. Why are the "new" Logitechs the best? The MX series of Logitechs (300, 500, 700) have excellent precision (not as high as the Microsoft's, however they are so high, "any" human motion of the mouse would be considered huge in comparison to the mouse's precision abilities) and they scan at 4.something megatexels per second. This allows you to whip your mouse around as fast as you can and still have the mouse know exactly where the cursor is supposed to be. This scan speed is supposed to be fast enough that if you stuck it on a belt moving at about 9 yards per second, it could still keep up in processing. You can test this yourself by whipping the mouse back and forth and suddenly stopping. The mouse should track all movements and stop the cursor in the approximate area your mouse stops. Slower mice will just freeze the cursor until you slow down or shoot it towards one side or another and freeze. The MX300 is a standard 3 button with wheel mouse. The MX500 is a 5 button with wheel and also has 2 buttons by the wheel for scrolling a line at a time instead of rolling the wheel and another extra button that does something if you use the custom logitech drivers. The MX700 is exactly like the MX500 except it is rechargeable cordless with a recharging/receiver cradle (2.4 gighertz I think) and works just as fast and good as the corded mx500. I use the mx500 at home and the mx700 at work. Both are excellent. I get about 4 days of not putting the mouse in the charger before the "charge me" light starts blinking. It still works for quite a while even when low.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 2:09:20 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 2:23:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By Zardoz: Anybody know about how long the batteries will last in a cordless optical mouse that sees heavy use?
View Quote
Funny you should ask. I'm keeping a record of the battery performance of my Logitech MouseMan Optical, a cordless optical mouse that's included in the Logitech Cordless Freedom Optical package. The mouse takes two AA batteries. I'm using Duracell M3 batteries. Here is the battery replacement log: 04/05/02 07:10 AM 05/06/02 02:38 PM 06/03/02 11:05 PM 07/10/02 07:15 PM 08/07/02 03:52 PM 08/29/02 03:59 PM 09/26/02 10:13 AM 10/25/02 09:14 AM 11/20/02 12:43 PM 12/08/02 03:21 PM 12/29/02 11:36 PM Obviously, the thing eats batteries.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:16:27 PM EST
Looks to me that you are getting 3 to 4 weeks out of a pair of batteries. I wouldn't call that bad at all... DanM
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:20:14 PM EST
You consider 3 weeks good? Man, you have a high tolerance for punishment. he he But the keyboard is doing really good. I'm still on the first set of batteries, which were installed in the middle of March.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:42:41 PM EST
Originally Posted By tc6969: Best 19.95 I ever spent! Like the man said though.....GET THE WHEEL!
View Quote
My MS Intellimouse cost me 49.95...If I remember right and it has the wheel and the left and right buttons and also 2 buttons on the left side for the back and forward function. and XERO....tried that quick movement thing and the curser moves just as fast as I can move the mouse and stops right when I do. Also don't pick up the mouse and look at that red light; like I did when I first got mine. You will see red spots for a while.[:(]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:49:02 PM EST
Get a cordless optical. You will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:51:44 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:53:44 PM EST
I have a Logitech Scroll Optical. Best 16 dollars I ever spent a year ago [:D]. I've only used a trackball once or twice and I hate them, just too weird, maybe after getting used to it after a month it would be ok. But why? What are the advantages?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:04:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By RiffRandall:
View Quote
I bought a LogiTech optical trackball recently & have the same problem. Luckily the holiday season means that returning it should be no problem because I simply can't use the thing. I'll probably just get an optical mouse instead. I've heard that optical mice aren't too good for games though...anyone have any experiance with this?
View Quote
I have a MS optical wheel mouse and I play a lot of games with it. No problems whatsoever. Actually, I can aim better with the optical mouse than I ever could with a "balled" mouse. I will never use a "balled" mouse again.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:05:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/4/2003 5:06:23 PM EST by MDOhmart]
Originally Posted By AKsRule: Yes Optical mice are the only way to fly! (cordless ones usually EAT batteries BTW) But ALL the microsoft mice I have had were cheap POS's I'd go with Logitech $25 [url]http://compjrk.home.mindspring.com/45.gif[/url]
View Quote
I'll second this one. I have the very same mouse pictured, paid about the same price, and haven't regretted it for a minute. I play games alot as well, and it's rock-solid and responsive. A good buy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:09:08 PM EST
I've got one of these... [img]http://www.cruxworks.com/cruxworks/imgout.phtml?cw=033778&it=standard[/img] I'll never go back. It makes playing games alot easier, too. Bradd
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:36:40 PM EST
I agree with AKsRule on the Logitech. Mine is wired and has performed flawlessly for over a year. Cheap investment to no longer have to clean the ball and rollers in the old style.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 9:54:22 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 11:03:40 AM EST
I got the Logitech MX700 for Christmas, is optical cordless mouse, has rechargeable ni-cad bats, expensive but nice, never have to buy batteries..
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 9:00:37 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 9:13:49 PM EST
I never pay attention to the low-battery warning. I just wait until the red light goes dark and the mouse cursor freezes on the screen. When that happens, I take the batteries out, put them back in again, and that usually gives me a 10-15 minutes of additional use before it goes dark again. Lately, I only get three weeks of use, which kind of sucks.
Top Top