Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 1/1/2007 1:43:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2007 1:43:41 PM EST by Tall34]
Just saw previews for a new movie, Shooter, starring Mark Wahlberg....Looks like a good flick... The Barret .50 in the trailer caught my eye
movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809733437/info
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:57:04 PM EST
looks cool, but its not a barret, its a EDM windrunner 50
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:14:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2007 6:26:16 PM EST by Small_Arms_Collector]
Am I the only one who can see that this is going to be a BLATENTLY anti0gun/anti-.50 specificly hit propaganda piece. Like the dumbassed line from the preview "the shot will be taken from over a mile", than cut to the .50 caliber sounds like something strait out of the brady bunches play book. By the way the longest sniper shot in history though made by an M-82A1 Berret .50 caliber was made at just over a half a mile, and that was sheer luck, I believe the shot was at something like 2,600 yards, but at that range even assumeing the shooter had a 1 MOA rifle, and ammunition combination (doughtful, with good ammo you MIGHT get 2 MOA with a .50) at that range the group would have been 26 inches or 52 inches for a 2 MOA rifle. The average adult male torso is only about 12-18 inches accross that shot was pure unadulterated LUCK, and these clowns think you can make a shot at DOUBLE that range?, with 1 shot? HAH! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

­
Originally Posted By m4hk33:

Do they have a website? Is it a direct copy of a Barret, or is it unique? If it is a copy how close is it? How much are they?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:16:21 PM EST
any relationship to the biography book "shooter" about a current decorated usmc sniper?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:18:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By barkley-addict:
any relationship to the biography book "shooter" about a current decorated usmc sniper?

No, this is based on the Bob Lee Swagger novels by Stephen Hunter.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:19:52 PM EST

No, this movie is based on the book Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter. There was another thread about it a couple days ago.

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:28:31 PM EST
reminds me of Most Wanted but looks pretty good.

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:44:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2007 2:47:42 PM EST by shogun187]
Found it.

www.edmarms.com

The .50 is around $7,500
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:47:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2007 2:56:52 PM EST by Dusty_C]

Originally Posted By Small_Arms_Collector:
Am I the only one who can see that this is going to be a BLATENTLY anti0gun/anti-.50 specificly hit propaganda piece. Like the dumbassed line from the preview "the shot will be taken from over a mile", than cut to the .50 caliber sounds like something strait out of the brady bunches play book. By the way the longest sniper shot in history though made by an M-82A1 Berret .50 caliber was made at just over a half a mile, and that was sheer luck, I believe the shot was at something like 2,600 yards, but at that range even assumeing the shooter had a 1 MOA rifle, and ammunition combination (doughtful, with good ammo you MIGHT get 2 MOA with a .50) at that range the group would have been 26 inches or 52 inches for a 2 MOA rifle. The average adult male torso is only about 12-18 inches accross that shot was pure unadulterated LUCK, and these clowns think you can make a shot at DOUBLE that range?, with 1 shot? HAH! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

­

Do they have a website? Is it a direct copy of a Barret, or is it unique? If it is a copy how close is it? How much are they?
A mile is 1760 yards you dolt. The thousand yard shots routinely made at Hipower competitions are well over half a mile. A mile is 5280 FEET, not yards. Icould hit a person with a Barrett at half a mile. And I'm average at best. So in response to your major pwn3ing of yourself I say HAH! HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!

Jesus, you'd think the self righteous idiots would at least have SOME intelligence.

Oh, the reason they couldn't film a movie about someone like that in Arkansas, is because here in Arkansas, we have a lot of people like that
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:00:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2007 3:01:21 PM EST by tom1000rr]
Plot looks close to "Commando", kinda. You know, good guy forced back into action. Bad guys takes family member/wifer or whatever. Frame good guy, evil government cover up. Still I am going to go see it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:48:56 PM EST

My mistake..Thanks for correcting me
TO
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:25:52 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2007 6:30:45 PM EST by Small_Arms_Collector]

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:

­

A mile is 1760 yards you dolt. The thousand yard shots routinely made at Hipower competitions are well over half a mile. A mile is 5280 FEET, not yards. Icould hit a person with a Barrett at half a mile. And I'm average at best. So in response to your major pwn3ing of yourself I say HAH! HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!

Jesus, you'd think the self righteous idiots would at least have SOME intelligence.

Oh, the reason they couldn't film a movie about someone like that in Arkansas, is because here in Arkansas, we have a lot of people like that

I don't remember the exact range ass thats why I put "I believe" instead of stateing it as a fact, I just know it was "about" a half mile, it hapened in Afganistan, and the shooter was a Canadian Sniper, and it's the longest reported sniper kill in history. Incidently at 1,760 yards the group would still be 17.6 inches with a 1 MOA rifle, and 35.2 inches with a 2 MOA so it was STILL a lucky shot. The line was clearly taken out of the brady bunches play book "you can easily shoot someone over a mile away", I bet the clowns who made the movie have someone shooting down a plane or someother outlandish thing to.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:52:17 PM EST

­

I don't remember the exact range ass thats why I put "I believe" instead of stateing it as a fact, I just know it was "about" a half mile, it hapened in Afganistan, and the shooter was a Canadian Sniper, and it's the longest reported sniper kill in history. Incidently at 1,760 yards the group would still be 17.6 inches with a 1 MOA rifle, and 35.2 inches with a 2 MOA so it was STILL a lucky shot. The line was clearly taken out of the brady bunches play book "you can easily shoot someone over a mile away", I bet the clowns who made the movie have someone shooting down a plane or someother outlandish thing to.
The problem with your "about half a mile" is that it's closer to 1.5 miles.that only makes you 200% off
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:06:16 AM EST

­

I don't know... in the preview they say "only 5 or 6 people in the world could make this shot" and if it follows the book then the shot is at the vice president while he's giving a speech if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:07:51 AM EST
Actually the line that is being disputed about shooting from a mile is pretty close to a quote from the book when Bob Lee is researching the possible kill shots. He states in his report that if the shooter uses a .50 or some variant, then the shot could be taken from up to a mile away. Paraphrased.

Also if you read the book, you would see that great lengths were gone to in setting up and prepping the shot. In the book it wasn't some spur of the moment propped on a rock shot.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:10:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/2/2007 4:30:43 PM EST by akethan]
Do not go see this movie you will be funding terrorists.

Dupe!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=136&t=529329
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:26:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By akethan:

Could you please explain this?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:40:27 AM EST
The facts reported of the Canadian shot were: 2430 meters (a hair over 1.5 miles) with a McMillan TAC-50. Reportedly they missed with the first shot, corrected, second was on target. That is not luck.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:42:27 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:45:37 AM EST
God I hope it is a good film promoting civilian gun ownership....
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:54:46 AM EST
Looks pretty kickass!

I'm intruiged!
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:55:46 AM EST

Originally Posted By DrJWelch:

It's a movie about a wacked out guy with a gun starring a known DUmmycrat.

What is underlying message sent in this movie?

"Marky Mark just shot somebody with a PSS, cool!"
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:05:03 AM EST

Originally Posted By DrJWelch:

It's a movie about a wacked out guy with a gun starring a known DUmmycrat.

What is underlying message sent in this movie?

"Marky Mark just shot somebody with a PSS, cool!"

I'll watch it
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:06:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By Aimless:

Originally Posted By gck5150:

No, this movie is based on the book Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter. There was another thread about it a couple days ago.

Excellent, when is this coming out?

Looks to be release date of March 16, 2007. Check out the website: Shootermovie.com

Girlfriend in the movie looks hot.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:15:55 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/2/2007 11:30:57 AM EST by Aimless]
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:31:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/2/2007 11:32:36 AM EST by THOLL223]
Bob the Nailer is the man!

I have read all of Hunter's books. They are all good reads.

Good old Hollywood, screwing up a good book again though, I envisioned Bob much older than Wahlberg's mid 30's don't you think?
Top Top