Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2006 11:43:20 AM EDT
We all see really bad drivers every day. I'm sure I'm not the only one who notices the idiots with the phone in their hand paying no attention to their driving, the lost souls, who start to stop in the middle of every intersection, the soccer moms going slower in the left lane than the right, the teenagers leaning so far into the back seat they can't see over the steeringwheel, ad infinitum...

So today I see a new level of on road stupidity that will take some doing to equal.  As I drive up a heavily travelled local road that is a 1 mile slight downhill run I see a cyclist peddling hell bent for leather come flying down the road in the traffic lane.

Now cyclists aren't a problem and this guy was probably going close to the 35 MPH speed limit, but it was definitely the stupidist thing I had ever seen.

Why? You might ask.

Because this guy had one of those little baby trailers attached to the bike and it was bouncing from side to side like it was going to flip over at any second. It was oscillating a foot or two to each side of the bike and bouncing up and down.

My first thought was that he was just doing a grocery run using the baby trailer, but when he stopped at the light I was at he reached back to check on the baby inside!  My 13 year old looked at me and said "I'm glad I'm not that baby."

It's one thing to be a candidate for the Darwin Awards; it's another to try to get your child nominated.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I’ve seen some stupid crap in my time. But the premeditation required for that makes it one of the stupidest things I’ve ever even heard of.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Eh, I used to lay on the back dash and beg my dad to slam on the brakes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Many Darwin Award winners manage to procrate before collecting their prize.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#5]
The guy riding a crotch-rocket wearing shorts and a tee-shirt that wiped out behind me
going 45 mph last week came to mind.

Unfortunately he was wearing a helmet so he survived...  I'm pretty sure he wished
he was dead after the first hundred feet of road-rash.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw a guy playing an acoustic guitar and singing while driving, in rush hour bumper-to-bumper highway traffic.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#7]
oh yea>?

i mountain bike downhill while i was talking on the cell phone. also trying to ghost ride a car.
im the only one professional enough to do that
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I saw a guy playing an acoustic guitar and singing while driving, in rush hour bumper-to-bumper highway traffic.

That's creative enough for me to applaud him from the next car.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn, that's bad enough for child endangerment charges.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
We all see really bad drivers every day. I'm sure I'm not the only one who notices the idiots with the phone in their hand paying no attention to their driving, the lost souls, who start to stop in the middle of every intersection, the soccer moms going slower in the left lane than the right, the teenagers leaning so far into the back seat they can't see over the steeringwheel, ad infinitum...

So today I see a new level of on road stupidity that will take some doing to equal.  As I drive up a heavily travelled local road that is a 1 mile slight downhill run I see a cyclist peddling hell bent for leather come flying down the road in the traffic lane.

Now cyclists aren't a problem and this guy was probably going close to the 35 MPH speed limit, but it was definitely the stupidist thing I had ever seen.

Why? You might ask.

Because this guy had one of those little baby trailers attached to the bike and it was bouncing from side to side like it was going to flip over at any second. It was oscillating a foot or two to each side of the bike and bouncing up and down.

My first thought was that he was just doing a grocery run using the baby trailer, but when he stopped at the light I was at he reached back to check on the baby inside!  My 13 year old looked at me and said "I'm glad I'm not that baby."

It's one thing to be a candidate for the Darwin Awards; it's another to try to get your child nominated.

CPS
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#11]
OMG

well, Darwin shouldn't take long

Maybe we should ban those trailers.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I used to do that!

I once saw a guy on the thruway doing about 75, steering with his knees and drumming on the steering wheel with drumsticks (not the chicken variety).

ETA: I'd have been sorely tempted to kick the guy with the baby's ass...
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

CPS

I actually went looking for a cop (they're usually around in this small town). Couldn't find one and I didn't know what to say if I called the police.  Reckless baby bicycling?

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#14]
i just saw a guy SERIOUSLY cut off an old lady in heavy+fast traffic, when she honked at him, HE GAVE HER THE FINGER!!!

this pissed me off, and he didnt like my F350 so close behind him
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I saw the driver of a car rolling a joint and working the gas peddal while the passenger operated the steering wheel.  This was at 60+mph on the stretch of I-10 between New Orleans and the Ponchartrain. Every expansion joint was about 4" higher than the rest of the slab. Stoopid!
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

ehh, back dash was the shiznit
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Ever heard of shaken baby syndrome?

That dumbass cyclist should be up on child endangerment charges at the absolute minimum.

I know that not everyone will agree with me here,  but one thing I absolutely DESPISE is ANY bicyclist riding in the roads when there's a bike path running alongside that road.

THE BIKE PATH IS THERE FOR BIKES.  USE IT.

If there's no bike path available,  I'm OK with cyclists using the roads,  but where one is
available,  they are one of the things that grinds my ass to the bone on a daily basis.

I particularly detest the "Lance Armstrong Wannabees".   You know the sort.  All dressed
in racing clothes with racing bikes but that's their hobby.    They seem to think that they
OWN the road, rather than at least agree to SHARE it with cars that squash them like
ugly bugs in spandex.

CJ
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:40:16 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

That dumbass cyclist should be up on child endangerment charges at the absolute minimum.

I know that not everyone will agree with me here,  but one thing I absolutely DESPISE is ANY bicyclist riding in the roads when there's a bike path running alongside that road.

If there's no bike path available,  I'm OK with cyclists using the roads,  but where one is
available,  they are one of the things that grinds my ass to the bone on a daily basis.

I particularly detest the "Lance Armstrong Wannabees".   You know the sort.  All dressed
in racing clothes with racing bikes but that's their hobby.    They seem to think that they
OWN the road, rather than at least agree to SHARE it with cars that squash them like
ugly bugs in spandex.

CJ

Well said!  When the bike riders start paying taxes like the automobile drivers do, I will have more(not much, but more than now) sympathy for them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#19]
DavidC: I agree, at least use a sidewalk or a bike path.  I agree with you too CJ.  Do these trailers even come with seat belts? Probably not.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
OMG

well, Darwin shouldn't take long

Maybe we should ban those trailers.
Its for the children.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:20:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ugly bugs in spandex.

CJ

Well said!  When the bike riders start paying taxes like the automobile drivers do, I will have more(not much, but more than now) sympathy for them.

They do pay taxes. Most of them own and drive cars, you know.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:28:55 AM EDT
[#22]
height=8
Quoted:
DavidC: I agree, at least use a sidewalk or a bike path.  I agree with you too CJ.  Do these trailers even come with seat belts? Probably not.

I would agree too, except the roads around here do not have bike paths. And in the city, where there are sidewalks, it is actually illegal to ride bikes on them (not that you'd want to, they are so uneven you bend your rims).

BTW, the trailers DO have lap belts in them.  We bought one for our son but hardly ever used it due to lack of time for bike riding.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:38:26 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I've seen a guy playing a trombone. I've also seen people reading books or magazines while driving, shaving, putting on make-up, smoking joints, and on no less than three occasions I've seen completely naked men masturbating while driving down the road.

I think it's interesting that they've apparently decided driver's licenses, the ability to operate a motor vehicle, eyes, brains, common sense, and intelligence higher than that of lukewarm tapioca are no longer required to get on the road. It's very forward thinking.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They do pay taxes. Most of them own and drive cars, you know.

I've never quite understood that argument either?    I pay PLENTY of taxes, both income as well as personal property taxes on my two cars, as well as registration for the cars, etc.  

Not sure how WHAT I choose to ride on the road has anything to do with how much I paid for the road.

Plus, what are these "taxes" that automobile drivers pay, anyway?  As far as I know, only a few states like Missouri force you to pay a separate tax on the cars you own every year - in most states I'm not aware of any special tax that automobile drivers pay?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top