Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 10:38:06 PM EDT

Disaster Can't Destroy Gun Rights

(Fairfax, VA) -- National Rifle Association leader Wayne LaPierre slammed New Orleans authorities Monday for seizing legal firearms from lawful residents.

"What we've seen in Louisiana - the breakdown of law and order in the aftermath of disaster - is exactly the kind of situation where the Second Amendment was intended to allow citizens to protect themselves, " LaPierre said.

"When law enforcement isn't available, Americans turn to the one right that protects all the others - the right to keep and bear arms," LaPierre said. "This attempt to repeal the Second Amendment should be condemned."

The New York Times reported last Thursday that no civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to have guns, quoting the superintendent of police that "only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons."

A Louisiana state statute allows the chief law enforcement officer to "regulate possession" of firearms during declared emergencies. "But regulate doesn't mean confiscate," said Chris W. Cox, the NRA's chief lobbyist.

"Authorities are using that statute to do what the looters and criminals could not: disarm the law-abiding citizens of New Orleans trying to protect their homes and families," Cox said.

"The NRA will not stand idly by while guns are confiscated from law-abiding people who're trying to defend themselves," he said.

"We're exploring every legal option available to protect the rights of lawful people in New Orleans," Cox said, "and we're taking steps to overturn such laws in every state where they exist."

"Local authorities in New Orleans are turning nature's assault on human life into man's assault on human rights," LaPierre said. "Four million NRA members intend to stop this unconstitutional power grab."

--nra--

Looks like they're on top of this.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:42:00 PM EDT
[#1]
This might be a dupe bro but I don't know that anyone cares, my little bro spent 8 hellish days in the superdome as a member of the La Guard...unarmed...he's a medic...he was scared as fuck.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#2]
If this is real, I am about to finally renew my membership.

The words are great......here's hoping there is action not far behind.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#3]
its for real/

can be found here:
article
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:05:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Late but so were a lot of people.

Better late than never.

This part makes me feel better...

"We're exploring every legal option available to protect the rights of lawful people in New Orleans," Cox said, "and we're taking steps to overturn such laws in every state where they exist."
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#5]
You forgot the.....

But we're gonna a need alot of fucking cash.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:17:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You forgot the.....

And that is why us NRA members get so angry with all the free loaders!!!!!

Get off your butts, your high horses or whatever and join up and start helping and fighting for our gun rights!

What ever happened to the other "effing NRA" thread?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:02:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

And that is why us NRA members get so angry with all the free loaders!!!!!

Get off your butts, your high horses or whatever and join up and start helping and fighting for our gun rights!

What ever happened to the other "effing NRA" thread?

That thread curiously disappeared from the board several hours ago after red65 made three new posts and as I was attempting to respond. Perhaps enough NRA members who don't genuinely believe in an unalienable individual RKBA got sufficiently infuriated by the facts this "freeloading" ex-NRA Life Member posted regarding the GCA-68/NFA-34/BATFE-supporting NRA.  

Whenever I hear “they hate us because of our freedom” or “because they hate our way of life” or some other such drivel, I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. If real people didn’t suffer the consequences of it, such ignorance would be amusing. But another annoying thing about statements like these is that they perpetrate the myth that we live in a land of freedom. The sad fact is, we are not free, and haven’t been for a long, long time.

In They Thought They Were Free: The Germans, 1933-45, Milton Mayer wrote about how the German people kept believing they were still free while the Nazis were tightening their control and extending their power over every facet of life. At first people refused to see the obvious, because the infringements on their freedom were coming in small steps. Each of those small steps, on its own, seemed to be no big deal, nothing to rebel against. But by the time you could no longer ignore the big picture, it was too late... The same phenomenon is happening right here, right now, in the U.S. of A.
— Alfred A. Hambridge, Jr., 19 April 2004

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:44:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:53:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for the link, sir. The thread was moved to the Bear Pit. I suppose that was necessary considering the obscene language the NRA member who started the thread is so fond of using. When confronted with an intellectually untenable position, some amoral types resort to gratuitous insults and vulgarity.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:27:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You forgot the.....

Well, they're up by $35. I just joined. Hopefully there are others who will as well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:35:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I have never donated over the last couple of years. I do not get paid until Thursday, and I am about broke. I squeezed $25.00 together. Right now I see this as one of the most important times for the NRA. If ever there was a group to lead the way it is on this issue.

I am a Member, Certified Instructor, and recently became a local NRA Recruiter.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:50:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I cant friggen believe it the NRA steps up to the plate!  Could us complaining about it be the reason?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:53:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I renewed my membership last month for another 3 years and donated additional money.  We all need to support the NRA they may not be perfect but they are doing a pretty damn good job!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:59:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Can't help but make the obvious statement in this season--

THERE WAS ONLY ONE PRIMARY REASON THE FOUNDING FATHERS WROTE THE AFFIRMATION OF THE GOD-GIVEN RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS...

TO KEEP A TYRRANICAL GOVERNMENT AT BAY.

This is not about defending your home, keeping out looters, shooting sports, hunting, etc.

One thing and one thing only when you boil it all down--keeping a tyrranical gov at bay.
All other benefits come after this truth.

Gunowners needs to step up and realize this possibly life or death paradigm--so that we will finally take a stand and not continue to get railroaded...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for joining guys!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You forgot the.....

Monopoly money dont cut it in the real world.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I cant friggen believe it the NRA steps up to the plate!  Could us complaining about it be the reason?

Yeah the paying members complained and results happened.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah the paying members complained and results happened.

I had no doubt they would eventually do something if it began to affect their cashflow.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#20]

"Authorities are using that statute to do what the looters and criminals could not: disarm the law-abiding citizens of New Orleans trying to protect their homes and families," Cox said.

"The NRA will not stand idly by while guns are confiscated from law-abiding people who're trying to defend themselves," he said.

I'll bet this is  all rhetoric,  because  there  is  a  big difference between defending  your home and being in the 'custody' of  government transportation or being placed  in a holding  facility.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

If you are not a member, I doubt it.

Even if a member, I still doubt it.  Damn, it takes time to gather info in order to take APPROPRIATE action.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top